Nissan Frontier

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone out there own a Nissan Frontier . I am seeing some really good deals on them right now . Would like to get an opinion.

The Nissan Frontier has been in the market for many, many years. And they're very good mid size trucks, if just a little archaic in styling. But they do last a long, long time, especially with a 5 speed manual tranny.

I prefer the new model Ford Ranger trucks that will perform circles around the competition.

But if the Nissan is $5K cheaper than a Ranger for a comparable model, go for it. The other big gun in the retail market is the Toyota Tacoma.

Last edited:
The Nissan Frontier has been in the market for many, many years. And they're very good mid size trucks, if just a little archaic in styling. But they do last a long, long time, especially with a 5 speed manual tranny.

The other big gun in the retail market is the Toyota Tacoma.

I have a 2016 Frontier 4WD crew cab with 6 speed manual. Bought it (barely) used with only 6200 miles in early 2017. It had been turned in early on a lease. (I've wondered if the previous possessor decided they really didn't like the stick.) I prefer a manual, but it's hard to find in a truck anymore.

As Bamaman said, styling is dated, but that doesn't matter to me. I really like it overall. The size works well for me, I don't like the big trucks. The ride and interior is much more comfortable than the Tacoma I traded in. Haven't had any problems with it yet. I hope to be using it for at least another dozen years.

Anyone out there own a Nissan Frontier . I am seeing some really good deals on them right now . Would like to get an opinion.

DD and DSIL just bought one. I think they are fine, albeit a bit dated but the price is right.

I have a 2003 Frontier with 206k miles. Still runs good with minimal maintenance. I would definitely buy another one. I agree, they lag the others in styling.

I sold off my 2007 Frontier NISMO a few years ago. It was a workhorse. Crappy gas mileage for a V-6. Probably the price paid for stump pulling torque. If they "make 'em like they use to," you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Not a Frontier, but one of my friends had an '06 Xterra, which is the same basic design. It made it to around 190,000 miles. It was getting a bit expensive toward the end of its life, and a combination of transmission and exhaust/emissions issues were what finally did it in. Still, with that age and mileage, I'd say it served its purpose.

My biggest beef with it was that legroom was a bit tight. So if you're tall, you might not find it all that comfortable. And I'd presume a Frontier's front seating position would be comparable to the Xterra.

Good point Andre on the legroom. I have a friend who rides with me and he is tall and a large man. He is somewhat cramped in the front seat. For me at average size it is fine.

My brother has a 2007 that he bought new. I've borrowed it many times and its a solid truck that is a great value. Due for makeover. Hopefully it won't get ruined like the Pathfinder!

My buddy is 6'1", and he was perfectly fine driving that Xterra. In fact, he wouldn't even put the seat all the way back! I guess he just preferred that seating position. I'm 6'3", and a bit long in the legs, so in most cars, I put the seat back as far as it will go.

Still, we went on a few road trips with that rig, the longest being from the DC area out to Cedar Point in Ohio, about 420 miles away. My legs would start feeling a bit cramped after awhile, but it was doable. My guess is that it's probably just fine for about 90% of the drivers out there.

As for fuel economy, I didn't think it was bad, considering the weight, power, and the fact that it had 4WD. He probably averaged around 17.5 mpg during the span he had it. I told him to always keep track of his fuel fill ups, and calculate the mileage so that he'd notice right away if it seemed to drop off unexpectedly. I'd say about the worst he'd get was around 15.5, in winter weather and short-trip driving. It would get about 22 out on a good highway run, if you kept your foot out of it. We took it on a few road trips, and while he was good at that, whenever I'd drive it, it seemed like it liked to creep up to 80+ with little strain.

I prefer the new model Ford Ranger trucks that will perform circles around the competition.

But if the Nissan is $5K cheaper than a Ranger for a comparable model, go for it. The other big gun in the retail market is the Toyota Tacoma.

For one of the kids I leased a 2019 Tacoma Sport Crew Cab 4x4 last summer.

~$300/month everything rolled in, i.e. $0 down, $0 due at signing.

It feels...tinny...to me...glad I leased.

Last edited:
I have a 2007 Frontier extended cab 4WD, bought new. IIRC it now has about 130,000 miles. We use it occasionally for local hauling and, in the winter, when we drive to our lake home 180 miles north.

I wouldn't project statistically from one data point, but this truck may be the best street car I have ever owned. I change oil about 3K-4K miles and have never once had to add oil. From looking at the dipstick I would say that it never uses a drop.

Repairs, other than a couple of brake jobs, have been rare. The only significant one I remember was that the left front wheel bearing loosened up a bit and made the anti-lock brake sensor unhappy. IIRC, about $700 at 90K miles.

Body condition (snow belt, salt) is exceptionally nice. No cosmetic rust. The hinges on the suicide doors are mild steel and get exposed to spray, so they want to rust and make the doors hard to open and close. I drilled holes that let me drip oil into the hinge pin area every year or so/problem pretty well solved.

I looked at Toyota and Nissan. Toyota was incredibly arrogant; only two option packages available in our market and "take it or leave" it on price. So I left it. Got a decent discount on the Nissan and the dealer pulled it from an adjacent state to get me the minimal option package I wanted.

So, overall, I'd have to say that my example has left me a happy camper.

I *almost* bought a Frontier for many of the reasons already stated. Proven design, reasonably priced and good dependability. I had talked to a few folks that had owned them for 100K+ miles and they all would have bought again. Ultimately, I didn't buy it because of the leg room. I am pretty close to 6'3" and it was just a little too tight for me. Nothing like the time I looked at an MG Midget...I loved that car until I *tied* to get in it. So, no...I have never owned an MG Midget. ;)

I sold off my 2007 Frontier NISMO a few years ago. It was a workhorse. Crappy gas mileage for a V-6. Probably the price paid for stump pulling torque. If they "make 'em like they use to," you'll be fine.

I owned a '98 Frontier and it was a great truck, but would not own one now given the crappy gas mileage, lack of updates and (to me) crazy prices they want for these given the lack of updates. It's not just Nissan IMO, all trucks are overpriced for what you get but demand inflates the market.

Proven, reliable, and archaic platform. Some folks like that.

Last edited:
Nissan Corp, struggling after major CEO shake up. Not sure how that will affect the "quality" of current Nisan vehicles. I remember, their CVT trannys, were a disaster.
Good luck. I tend to prefer Toyota products for their reliability.

I recently looked at the Nissan Rogue. Very nice product on the surface. Priced much lower than the new RAV 4, which I absolutely hated, and the new Subaru Forester, which was not comfortable but had great cargo space. Record of repair was not good per Dashboard Light - Automotive Reliability so I passed.

I recently looked at the Nissan Rogue. Very nice product on the surface. Priced much lower than the new RAV 4, which I absolutely hated, and the new Subaru Forester, which was not comfortable but had great cargo space. Record of repair was not good per Dashboard Light - Automotive Reliability so I passed.

We ended up getting a Rogue which J.D. Power ranked slightly above average. Consumer Reports gave it a favorable rating. Guess it all depends who is doing the rating.

Dashboard Light shows the reliability over long periods of ownership. JD Powers is "initial quality," i.e. when the car rolls off the dealer's lot. I pay no attention to that unless the rating is lower than most. CR is not as reliable in their ratings as they used to be.

Dashboard Light shows the reliability over long periods of ownership. JD Powers is "initial quality," i.e. when the car rolls off the dealer's lot. I pay no attention to that unless the rating is lower than most. CR is not as reliable in their ratings as they used to be.

Guess they all have their flaws. Dashboard Light only goes up to 2015.

Thanks for bringing the Nissan Frontier to my attention! F is thinking about getting a new used vehicle sometime before too long, and I loved the reviews at Edmunds dot com which said (among other things),
The interior, though durable, has a low-buck look and feel. The cabin allows in plenty of noise. The Frontier's engines burn fuel with the abandon of a failed missile test, and technology and advanced safety features are few and far between.

OK, noise and bad fuel economy is not great, but we especially liked the phrase that I put in bold. Sounds like a more plain, old fashioned truck with fewer fancy electronics which is what we both prefer. Also he likes the relatively low price in comparison with some other vehicles.
The Nissan Frontier has been in the market for many, many years. And they're very good mid size trucks, if just a little archaic in styling. But they do last a long, long time
"Archaic" is music to our ears. We miss the styling and simplicity of vehicles way back when.

FWIW, a couple more data points on the Nissan Frontier...

CR shows with the exception of the 2017 and 2018 models, the reliability of the Frontier has been very good dating back to 2009. CR also shows during that same time period owner satisfaction has been very low, meaning when asked "would you buy this truck again?" a majority of owners answered no.

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom