Opinions on Rec Room Subfloor (Dri-Core)

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, my long awaited rec room project is almost ready to launch. Now DW says she wants a Dri-Core subfloor. We have never had any moisture problems, but she heard they keep the floor much warmer and nicer.

Opinions? It will add about $1000 to the cost of the project, so I don't want to do unnecessary stuff..........thanks........:)

I don't have any personal experience with it - but just offhand I'd say consider it if it's your "till I die" house.

If not (or you & your DW don't have long to live :D ) - then don't bother.

(Must be a big basement - I see HD has it for about $1.65 sq ft.)

I don't have any personal experience with it - but just offhand I'd say consider it if it's your "till I die" house.

If not (or you & your DW don't have long to live :D ) - then don't bother.

(Must be a big basement - I see HD has it for about $1.65 sq ft.)

Room is 27 by 23 feet. So, I need about 150 of those 2x2 panels.........or 600 square feet x $1.65...........:eek:

Will this be used by grandchildren? Do they like to make noise?

What is Dri-Core flooring? Is it a Brand Name of some sort or a construction style? I looked at The Home Depot website, but I didn't see it listed that way.

We used it at our last house. It comes highly recommended by me. Adds warmth, noise reduction. Also we sprung a leak & it saved the carpeting. We didn't install it at our present house. Big regret.

Will this be used by grandchildren? Do they like to make noise?

My kids are young, and their friends are too, so noise is an issue My buddy whose helping me do the work is pooh-poohing it, but DW will set him straight on Saturday.......:D

What is Dri-Core flooring? Is it a Brand Name of some sort or a construction style? I looked at The Home Depot website, but I didn't see it listed that way.

Dri-Core is a subfloor you put over the concrete floor. It helps with channeling mositure away from the pad and carpet, also it provides a thermal barrier because it insulates to some extent.

The "old way" it is done is using a plastic, furring strips, and insulation. A much longer process.

I had my breezewy (concrete floor) and part of an adjoining wood deck closed in.
I put building paper down over the deck portion, and laid dri-core over the whole thing. And FLOR carpet on top of that.
It was easy to do.
The surface is firm, quiet, no un-eveness detectable when you walk on it. No movement either. You really can't tell it is a floating floor.
I have had no moisture problems. If I ever want a floor in the basement, I probably would use the same product.

http://www.dricore.com/

Back
Top Bottom