Optimists Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

GravitySucks

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Follow up to RayinPenn's predilection to pessimism thread here's a place to post optimistic views.

Searching for something else I ran into this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7095005/
NIH saying SARS was going to be with us forever. There were three other articles all stating basically the same thing. It's here and we have to learn to live with it. Two months before the CDC lifted all travel warnings.
I know the viruses are not the same, but I'm still hopeful that they follow the same path.

I am still waiting for the civil disruption that was going to spread from the inner cities into the countryside in the 1970's and early 1980's.

Follow up to RayinPenn's predilection to pessimism thread here's a place to post optimistic views.

Searching for something else I ran into this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7095005/
NIH saying SARS was going to be with us forever. There were three other articles all stating basically the same thing. It's here and we have to learn to live with it. Two months before the CDC lifted all travel warnings.
I know the viruses are not the same, but I'm still hopeful that they follow the same path.

I find it funny that someone with the handle "Gravity Sucks" starts a thread on optimism. I want to follow this thread because I am down and need some optimism.:dance:

Finished a 1000 mile road trip last week to see our parents and visit friends. Highways were noticeably more crowded on the way back. Flying to meet up with two other couples in Rocky Mountains June 1 (and visiting relatives whilst there).

Starting to seriously plan for a 6 week Alaska trip leaving ASAP when/if the state quarantine lifts.

Plans for extensive international travel for 2021 are being made--although those may end up being overly optimistic. We'll see.

Covid gone forever, effective June 1. How is that for optimism?

Motley Fool posted something recently that really resonated with me:

We believe that an important takeaway from economic history is that the past wasn't as good as you remember, the present isn't as bad as you think, and the future will be better than you anticipate.

I'm gonna get out there again and live large!

I’m still waiting on the forecasted turn-of-the-last-century apocalypse. Was it supposed to happen at midnight on December 31, 1999 or 2000? There was some debate about the specific year, depending upon how one counts.

Thanks for starting this thread!

I am by nature and intent an optimist. I serve in this capacity for my family and friends, who look to me to feel better with a few choice words, whether about military conflict, environmental destruction, or these days the Covid-19 pandemic. While I certainly am not a Pollyanna, strangely enough, over the years just by saying optimistic things to others I have become even less fearful and more confident of the future.

-BB

I am by nature and intent an optimist. I serve in this capacity for my family and friends, who look to me to feel better with a few choice words, whether about military conflict, environmental destruction, or these days the Covid-19 pandemic. While I certainly am not a Pollyanna, strangely enough, over the years just by saying optimistic things to others I have become even less fearful and more confident of the future.

-BB

+1

The future is going to be awesome. I can’t wait.

I’m still waiting on the forecasted turn-of-the-last-century apocalypse. Was it supposed to happen at midnight on December 31, 1999 or 2000? There was some debate about the specific year, depending upon how one counts.

And let's not forget 2012, when the earth ended according to the Mayan calendar.

We're back to eating out and did a lot of Door Dash when everything was shut.

lol. I have forgotten about the Mayan calendar situation.

So here is another reason for optimism: quantum computing continues to advance. Some recent news in this regard (https://dailyhodl.com/2020/05/21/mi...puting-platform-in-move-to-draw-developers/):

"Microsoft’s Quantum Development Kit (QDK) is now open-sourced for those who want to learn how to write code for quantum computers. Microsoft also rolled out two courses on #Q, a programming language for developing and running quantum algorithms.

"Last year, Google revealed that its quantum machine can perform calculations in three minutes versus supercomputers that can complete similar tasks in 10,000 years. Amazon is already offering quantum computing as-a-service."

-BB

+2 excellent perspective!

I am optimistic that researchers will discover that beer and wine can prevent Covid-19, and when augmented with regular doses of chocolate will also prevent all forms of cancer...

I am optimistic that researchers will discover that beer and wine can prevent Covid-19, and when augmented with regular doses of chocolate will also prevent all forms of cancer...

If this comes to pass I’m definitely delaying SS until I’m 70.

I try to remain optimistic, and anxiety free, and for the most part, accomplish that. I am looking forward to having family and friend time while camping, and back yard pool time this Summer regardless of what the CDC, and our State Governor recommends.

Also looking forward to a continuing upward trend for my 401K (gained another 5% this week).

I am still waiting for the civil disruption that was going to spread from the inner cities into the countryside in the 1970's and early 1980's.
Well, there you have it! Don't have to wait any longer.

You will be happy to know that we have begun working on it. The refrigerator is fully stocked and the cabinets are full of M&Ms and peanut butte cups.

Cheers!

I'm looking for a cure for the common cold out of this.

One of the issues with companies investing in a vaccine, once the virus is gone/low enough, there's no more revenue. What if discoveries are made such that they can produce vaccines for each of the many strains of the common cold? They could release a few of those per year and keep the money flowing, all the while improving the process of battling viruses. So when the next bad one shows-up, the intellectual arsenal will be stocked to deal effectively with the challenge.

Well I have no cash on the sideline any more. I guess that means I'm an optimist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom