Our Car Hit by Driver on Cell Phone, Totalled

+1 that is why we waited with DD's claim... to make sure that there we no medical issues that lingered or were not noticed right away.

That's a good idea. It's amazing how it can sometimes take a few days for the results of a trauma to surface. I got hit from behind many years ago, and felt fine after the accident. Three days later I couldn't move my neck or back, and was in severe pain. It was a massive PITA dealing with the insurance company about it, since I had said I felt fine immediately after the impact. Luckily it was just whiplash and muscle stiffness, but it could have been something longer lasting. Take your time and make sure all bases are covered before signing off on anything.

I hope Lena recovers quickly and without much pain. Rib injuries suck. It's not like you can stop breathing until it heals.

About 3-4 years ago, I was just taking off on a green light when the front corner of my SUV was hit on the left by a car that had run the adjacent red light. Luckily, the driver stopped and I had several witnesses who also stopped. The police report declared her 100% at fault.

I had minor whiplash (As I have scoliosis, I went to my usual chiropractor that afternoon to have him adjust me). Luckily, that's all the care that I needed.

I live in a no fault state and had Farmers Insurance. Farmers handled everything very professionally, including getting the maximum allowable ($500) deductible refunded to me from the other party's insurance company.

I'm wondering why my experience with Farmers seems radically different that what others have had? :confused:

omni

I called this morning and got the other driver's insurance info, and called Progressive. They were very good, and said a claim rep will contact me.

Yes, I called my insurance company (Farmers) from the scene. I'd hoped they'd "take it from there," but I was on my own.

Is it "leaving the scene of an accident" even if you give information first?

Yes, the other person's car was left at the scene.

Yes, talking on the phone while driving is illegal here. I've reported other drivers for doing that (as well as for texting!).

I'm taking Lena to the doc in a few minutes.

Thanks for the help!

Al
It will work out for the auto damage. Progressive will put together an accurate description once they get police report.

The most important part of this is Lena's injuries. Get the best medical treatment you can.

Hi, hope Lena is fine.

I have another simple question for anyone. When trying to call the police to report an accident, who do we actually call? Do we just call 911?

Thanks

Hi, hope Lena is fine.

I have another simple question for anyone. When trying to call the police to report an accident, who do we actually call? Do we just call 911?

Thanks

Yes. The dispatcher will figure out who to send and whether an ambulance needs to be sent as well as police.

We had the car engine start smoking bad once and called 911 to get a fire engine sent to our location. Damned house sparrows had built a nest next to the manifold while we were on vacation!

I found the "nolo" book titled, "How to Win Your Personal Injury Claim" to be a life saver when I had to work through a serious accident DS was involved in.
Highly recommend..

Got back from the doc. Lena's fine but sore. Nothing broken.

Of course, that didn't prevent him from prescribing 30 Vicodins.

Is it "leaving the scene of an accident" even if you give information first?

It depends on how the statute is written in your state. In MD giving a valid phone number would probably be enough to fend off a hit & run charge since doing so negates the argument that the person was trying to avoid accepting responsibility for the collision.

The whole scenario of her leaving in such a hurry does make it sound like the driver was uninsured, unlicensed, or similar though. Or it could be something as simple as she had severe pain from a bad toothache and was on her way to the dentist. That would account for her actions as well, although it is admittedly highly unlikely.

The police officer who took the original report will probably be in contact with you in a few days. If not, call their office/station and ask what the outcome was. You'll probably need to get a copy of the report for your insurance company anyway.

Al, Hope Lena's okay. She will have sore muscles. As someone else said, it's takes a few days for the aches to begin. I cracked a couple of ribs one time and they didn't show up the first time on the x-ray that they were cracked. Hurts just as bad as broken ribs. Did she have any damage to her face from the air bag? Was wondering how the other car hit Lena's car rear side panel and the front corner?

I'm wondering why my experience with Farmers seems radically different that what others have had? :confused:

omni

Al hasn't confirmed, but if he and Lena didn't have coverage due to an old car, they won't help unless you are asking for uninsured coverage, which is not the case yet.

I went through this with Amica -- a great company -- a while ago. I had only liability coverage. Someone hit me, admitted fault, gave me their info. I called Amica and explained and the nice lady said I was on my own while I work it out with the other company, since I didn't have collision on my car. She was very nice and helpful, but made it clear that I had to work with the other company.

The other company was Erie, and they were fantastic. Enough so that if Amica ever makes me mad enough to change, I'll go to Erie as an alternative. (The Amica lady said as much and said that Erie should take care of me... She was right. They know their worthy competitors.)

Last edited:
Al, I hope Lena is OK.

This car (Toyota Matrix).

Wow.

I was surprised at how bruised Lena was from the seatbelts. It would have been bad without them.

>Sorry to hear about the Echo, too. You had a good run with her.

Yes, it still drove like new at 250,000 miles.

Even bruised ribs can cause a lot of pain. However, I can guarantee that if I went to a doctor with a piece of rebar sticking through my chest they'd only give me Motrin. It's funny, I used to be able to buy booze underage with my innocent look, but it completely fails me in the doctor's office.

Al, I just saw your post. What a dreadful accident, and what a huge relief to learn that Lena has nothing broken.

I do recall from an accident 40 years ago, that I was was not aware that I had (minor) whiplash until a few days after the accident. So, you may not be out of the woods yet but I sure hope so!

The important thing here, as I see it, is Lena. The car can be fixed or replaced. Give her our best.

Even bruised ribs can cause a lot of pain. However, I can guarantee that if I went to a doctor with a piece of rebar sticking through my chest they'd only give me Motrin. It's funny, I used to be able to buy booze underage with my innocent look, but it completely fails me in the doctor's office.

I have the opposite problem. My oral surgeon, who is working on dental implants for me, keeps wanting to give me prescriptions for Vicodin (hydrocodone). I keep telling him I still have a nearly full bottle and don't need or want it anyway, and he's all "Well don't you think you should fill the prescription, just in case?" :ROFLMAO:

The laws vary from state to state regarding hit and run. In most states, as long as you exchange information, you're good. There are exceptions when a person is injured or it falls under what is a reportable accident where police would do a report (varies state to state). Don't hold your breath waiting for the police to call you for an update. I never called anyone for follow-up on a minor traffic accident unless I forgot some information to complete the report. You can just call the PD Station and get a copy of the report and let the insurance companies work it out. Unless you live in a tiny town, the police are too busy to handle follow-up.

I would like to give this advice to everyone. If you cant drive your vehicle to the shoulder or a near by parking lot, do it. So many people think they need to leave the vehicles in the lanes and don't move them until the police arrive. I've responded to a couple of fatalities where drivers were struck a second time while in their vehicle or walking near their vehicle while waiting for the police.

Al - I'm so glad that Lena's injuries are limited to bruising. It is still injuries though - so there should be some settlement on that.

I worked car insurance back in the early 80's... To clarify/correct some of the info folks have posted:

Do you have comprehensive insurance on the car? With it being so low in value I would think not.

Also, uninsured/underinsured?

If you do not have either of these then you insurance company could care less about your car as they are not responsible to pay anything.

Comprehensive is for theft and vandalism... not moving vehicle damage. Collision is the coverage you'd need to have the echo covered under your insurance in this case.

Uninsured/Underinsured is for MEDICAL damage... not your car.

I was in a motorcycle accident in my early 20's - some lady backed out of her driveway without looking for traffic - and my and my motorcycle just happened to be in the way. I blew out my knee and was on crutches for months. Uninsured motorist coverage covered my medical bills - but did not cover my motorcycle. I did not have collision - so I had to pay for repairs on my own dime.

Glad your wife and the other person's grandson are both ok.

I totalled my mom's car last summer. She had Farmer's insurance, and so far our experience with them has been great. My son had some minor pain and bruising from the seatbelt, but it was nothing major. They settled his claim against me for $500. My DH ruptured a tendon in his hand and required surgery. They covered all the medical bills in full, and have offered to settle his claim against me for $7500. They paid for a rental car for about a week while we set up a replacement car, and then paid my mom $2500 for the value of her car (a 1992 Toyota Corolla with over 150k miles) plus the remainder of the car rental allowance (about $750). They have settled claims with the passengers of one of the other involved cars (not sure for how much), and there are still claims pending with one passenger in the other car. All in all I have been really impressed with how Farmers handled the situation. Fingers crossed that everything resolves well for you and your family.

I worked car insurance back in the early 80's... To clarify/correct some of the info folks have posted:

Like most insurance (excluding health that is within coverage of ACA), it varies by state ....

Like most insurance (excluding health that is within coverage of ACA), it varies by state ....

I was wondering about that.
Texas law gives you the opportunity to buy insurance coverage to protect yourself against both uninsured and underinsured motorists. This coverage is optional, but your insurer must offer you the opportunity to purchase it, and your refusal to purchase it must be in writing. This coverage protects you, your family members, passengers in your vehicle, and anybody driving your vehicle with your permission. It pays your medical and funeral expenses, car repairs, car rental, the replacement of damaged contents, lost wages, pain and suffering, disfigurement, and permanent or partial disability up to the dollar limits that you have purchased.

Glad that your wife is only bruised and sore and not any more serious injuries.

With a book value around $1000, guaranteed that the car will be totaled. That is way more than $1000 damage. Agree with the other comments, be sure to wait for any latent injuries to show up.

Al, glad to hear Lena is OK, cars can be replaced, but our loved ones cannot.

Comprehensive is for theft and vandalism... not moving vehicle damage. Collision is the coverage you'd need to have the echo covered under your insurance in this case.

Right, thanks.

That's my next task: Refresh my memory on all the insurance terminology and strategies. Ten years ago I became a semi-expert and cut our car insurance bill in half by eliminating things that were unnecessary.

Now I have to relearn it.

Back
Top Bottom