Over seas travel with cats

SheitlQueen

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have been thinking about spending two to three months of the winter overseas in some nice warm, tropical place. The only issue is that I have three cats. Is it practical to take pets over seas? How do you find out which countries allow pets to enter, and what their policies are? How about airline travel with pets, especially cats? Anyone done it and have any suggestions?

I could of course leave them home and hire someone to take care of them, but I would prefer to take them with me if at all feasible.

Did it once out of necessity, Riyadh to Toronto via NYC in 1988. We had two cats in their boxes in the cabin, (since we were upgraded to First Class and then Business Class).....gave the cats tranqs before the flights......one of them came out of it over the Atlantic, freaked out and almost pulled the small blanket covering the box into the box through the grill.

I'd suggest you wouldn't be doing them, or you, any favors by putting them through that in two directions, especially if they're put in the hold where animals have died or escaped.

Thanks....kind of thought it might not be a good idea. I guess I can either leave them home or winter somewhere in the US where I could drive.

If you go to the US Virgin Islands, bringing pets from the mainland US is pretty easy. However, finding a landlord who would accept cats might be a big challenge. More people seem to be allergic to cats vs dogs. We brought our 13 lb indoor dog to the USVI's for 3 months. The plane ride was tough but we'd do it again, especially now that we learned how to help pets adjust more easily to the new environment.

Back
Top Bottom