Part D drugs & traveling

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm currently on Wellcare for part D but having a problem while traveling. We usually spend the summer months in the mountains traveling in our motorhome, 5-6 months. The mail service traveling is very unreliable so we try to get a vacation exception for my 90 day supply of Rx's. This year my DW has spent 3 days trying to get this done before we leave next month and so far is unsuccessful despite Wellcare reps trying to help. Just can't get their system to accept our order. So my questions are can I change to another drug plan during open enrollment without any underwriting concerns?
And does anyone have any experiences with other drug companies that are receptive to our travel plans
Thanks!

I'm currently on Wellcare for part D but having a problem while traveling. We usually spend the summer months in the mountains traveling in our motorhome, 5-6 months. The mail service traveling is very unreliable so we try to get a vacation exception for my 90 day supply of Rx's. This year my DW has spent 3 days trying to get this done before we leave next month and so far is unsuccessful despite Wellcare reps trying to help. Just can't get their system to accept our order. So my questions are can I change to another drug plan during open enrollment without any underwriting concerns?
And does anyone have any experiences with other drug companies that are receptive to our travel plans
Thanks!

Not sure about other providers but can you build up a 6 month supply? We did this with DH's meds. His 90 day supply can be refilled at 60 days. Rinse and repeat and before you know it you've built up a 6 month or more supply :dance:.

In the past, some national drugstore chains could transfer prescriptions to other locations even if they were in other states. These were not Medicare recipients. I don't know if that would change things.

Thanks!
Yes, during the open enrollment period you can change to any plan available in your "area". There is no underwriting or anything else. I too have Wellcare, the Wellness Rx plan.

When we were traveling all over the country in our motorhome we got all of our prescriptions at Walmart--there was a Walmart almost everywhere, including Alaska.

When we were traveling all over the country in our motorhome we got all of our prescriptions at Walmart--there was a Walmart almost everywhere, including Alaska.

We use Walgreens for exactly this reason. Some Part D charge less for mail service so that's up to you..

We feel good because even if you drive for a long weekend and forget or lose your meds, a large national chain can get you sorted quickly.

Back
Top Bottom