PC or "thin-skinned"

I agree with my buddies assessment of how easily offended everyone is getting these days:

"People need to lighten up and just f**k off"

i don't know that i've ever taken offense by anyone who doesn't even know me, while i might act as if i had just to turn the table a bit.

though i'll admit i did flunk charm school. i'm a little rough around the edges. but even i'm often astonished how some people "talk" to others online as if the other person is not even a person and how they express some ideas which really ought to be kept protected by priests in confessionals or by attorney-client privilege from inside that jail cell the op mentioned.

not that i think people should be prevented from expressing themselves. just that it seems some people need more help than anyone can provide online.

here's a good example of how bad it's gotten. There's this woman at work who's really sensitive to perfume (although sometimes she douses herself enough to drop a rhino at 50 paces). She said something to another woman who sometimes overdoes it, and one day that second woman came into our office whining about it.

One of my co-workers suggested that she talk to our supervisor or HR and try to get a harrassment suit slapped on her! Yup, it's gotten bad enough that people want to claim harrassment if you tell them that their perfume/cologne is too strong! ::)

lets-retire said:
No, I was just attempting to figure out who you were talking to. For a long time my nickname was a-hole. :)

I'm proud to say that my nickname still IS A**HOLE!!! When anyone at w*rk has a question, someone will always tell them to go back to the lab, and see A**HOLE!

I'm gonna miss that when I FIRE! :'(

Goonie said:
I'm proud to say that my nickname still IS A**HOLE!!! When anyone at w*rk has a question, someone will always tell them to go back to the lab, and see A**HOLE!

I'm gonna miss that when I FIRE! :'(
It's always nice to get well-deserved recognition. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

LOL, Goonie, I can relate. My personal favorite was the inmate who looked me right in the eye one day and said, "You know, you have the PERFECT initials", and then just walked away. The other two guys just rolled around the floor laughing until it dawned on me what I'd just been told.

Real name = Michael Flanagan

Nope, just plain old "MF".

The worst part is that he was 20 yards away before I understood what he was saying.

Goonie said:
However....I don't give a rat's a** if most people don't think "reasonably well" of me (in my day-to-day life). I USED to care, but it became a major pain in the a** trying to be PC, and not p*ssing people off....but as I get older, I just don't give a sh*t hoot. :D

I'd change the foregoing from "as I get older" to "as I get closer to FIRE".... When you're FIRE, the little things life throws at you don't matter all that much anymore. You can always tell the world to take a hike, or better yet, you can take one yourself whenever you want. There's no need to be PC if you're in the middle of the wilderness (or another country that's remained uninfected by PC).

But I'm so sick of having to search for the politically correct way to tell someone that last month's bath just ain't cuttin' it anymore. Or telling some chick that the "Killer" outfit she is wearing to work probably is not the best choice in an environment full of stalkers, rapists, child molesters, and assorted other screwballs without her getting offended and reporting me for making sexually offensive remarks.

Sigh.

This really is SUCH a drag. Here you are, just trying to help people! You could be quietly working on your own minor flaws and drawbacks, but other people need so much more in the way of improvement, so you jump right in.

You want them to better themselves, to see the situation from your point of view (since they are so obviously "sight-impaired" themselves), and to just generally shape the heck UP! But what do they do:confused:? They go and get angry on you! :mad:

Wretched ingrates!

It would serve them right if you kept all of your great advice to yourself and let them run their OWN lives! See how they'd like THAT for a change!

Back
Top Bottom