Perseid Meteor Shower

We were out looking early this morning and saw some kind of explosion in the sky. That was totally unexpected. We did see one other meteor, but the explosion was spectacular.

We looked, but it was too overcast here to see anything. Maybe tonight.

I spent about 45 minutes out early last night and saw 2 bright meteors - one streaked across about 30 degrees of the sky and the other was much shorter, maybe 5 degrees. I will probably go back out tonight.

I went out for maybe 20 minutes. In previous years, I typically think I see a few, but maybe so dim I'm not sure, but then if I stay out long enough, will usually catch something pretty obvious.

Last night, I didn't see any minor flashes at first, then 15 minutes in a very bright one, with a path that would cross about 2-3 feet at arm's length. One more minor flash, and I went in. Nice night, and despite all the rain we've had, no mosquitoes (haven't figured that one out)

We were out looking early this morning and saw some kind of explosion in the sky. That was totally unexpected. We did see one other meteor, but the explosion was spectacular.

Iridium flare perhaps? Enter your GPS co-ordinates here, and you can see if one appeared in your area. They can be very bright (brighter than any star, well other than our Sun), and last about 10 seconds, fading in-out. They are reflections from the 3 rotating antenna plates on every Iridium satellite (used for the satellite phones).

Each reflection only covers a few miles of the Earth, and dims outside that area, so they need your specific GPS co-ords.

But they can also occur outside of that schedule. There are some out-of-control satellites that might reflect, but they don't have good enough data on their paths to predict the flares.

Heavens-Above

-ERD50

I laid out in my hammock around midnight and saw a dozen or so in about 45 minutes. Woke up around 4 and went back out and saw a few more before I fell asleep. Opened my eyes and the sky was clouding up at 5am, so I went back in.

Dog woke me up at 4am so it was a good opportunity for meteor watching. Unfortunately I saw none at all ! I did get a couple of mosquito bites before running in to get the Cutter spray (hate that stuff but it's better than getting a mosquito borne disease). Its raining right now but if it clears up I'll be out again tonight.

I woke up at three so I went out for a while. It was too cloudy to see much, but it was nice sitting there in the quiet.

There was too much smoke in the air from forest fires (far away) to see anything last night. It's still hazy today, so I am not getting my hopes up.

Nice clear night in the burbs. I was out for about 15 minutes around 1am CST and saw one meteor (moving much faster than the 'shooting stars' I saw in July)! I went out again around 3am, but didn't see any. Fun stuff.

Went out for a few minutes and saw 4 spectacular orange-yellow flashes. Went in and grabbed the wife. "You have to see this - it's better viewing than we have had in years" She came out on the deck and we didn't see anything for about 25 min. She fell asleep in the deckchair and immediately 3 more shot across the sky. I may try again tonight sans my child bride...

Spent about 3 hours out last night and saw at least a dozen very nice meteors.

Went out around 11 and didn't see anything. Set alarm for 3:30, figured I get some viewing in before having to get ready for work. Alarm went off, I forgot about the meteors and thought I goofed and set the alarm for 3:30 instead of 4:30. Reset alarm and slept until 4:30. Never remembered about meteors until I was at work. Going to try again tonight.

The kids and I were out at the cottage on Tuesday/Wednesday night from about 2-330 and saw about one every 2-3 minutes. Quite a few were not Perseids. Several left visible trails. We are lucky to have a cottage in a dark sky preserve and have pretty wide open horizons. It was great to have no moon but it was a bit breezy. A good year but not the best we've had.

Thanks Michael. I'm in a fairly light polluted area, but hopefully will see at least a few of the brighter ones.

Won't be up at the cottage until Friday night so have to make do with that. Will get out late so as to avoid the moon. Always a good show.

Looks like clouds for N IL :(

Though a few weeks ago, I was out trying to spot a satellite (using the Heavens-Above site), the satellite was too dim for me to spot, but I clearly saw a very bright meteor flash across the sky. That was the first time I saw a meteor when I wasn't actively looking for the Perseids.

So I guess I have to be happy I at least saw that one, and didn't need to sit out for an hour or more!

-ERD50

I saw an awesome meteor a couple of nights ago. It streaked all the way across the sky while the moon was still up. About a week ago, I saw a satellite flare. It looked like a bright search light on a hellicopter, but when it when away, you could see the satellite moving across the sky. Pretty neat.

After many years of working night shift, my ability in retirement to stay up or get up during the night has really been bad, but I'll try tonight.

I am hoping the sky clears today. I am part of a small group that has gotten together for the Perseids for about 40 years.

Saw quite a few from midnight to 1am last night. Tonight should be better is the sky stays clear.

In my usual fashion I screwed myself again. Got my telescope out and set it up, thereby causing a forecast of solid overcast and light rain tonight.

Total cloud cover here at the peak on Thursday. But clear Saturday night, and the heavens-above site showed a very bright International Space Station overpass (mag -3.3), so I went out to look at that.

I didn't even turn off the porch lights, so there was lots of ambient light, and at 8:44 PM, not all that dark yet (the light from the Sun below the horizon reflects off the satellites, making them visible against the darker sky). Still very easy to see the Space Station as it passed from west to east.

So I decided to stay out a while to maybe catch the tail end of the Perseid show. In about 20 seconds, a very bright one flashed across the sky, maybe 1/4 of the sky from start-finish. Another 10 minutes, and I didn't see even a faint one.

Got my telescope out and set it up,

? Telescopes aren't used for meteors, not even binoculars. You need to watch a large area of the sky. The odds of seeing one in the tiny field of a telescope is near zero, and if you did, you would only catch a tiny portion of the trail of it. Nope, in this case, just the naked eye, or a wide angle camera lens with an open shutter is best.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom