Pickleball Life

Trailwalker

Full time employment: Posting here.
Pickleball has been discussed on the forum before but hasn't had its own thread for awhile so I thought I would start this one.

I've been playing Wednesday nights in a King of the Court League that is both competitive and social (3.5 to 4.5). It's about two-thirds men, but the women who play are primarily 4.0 and above. There are 32 slots, which are usually full shortly after the weekly sign-up announcement. All scores are entered into the DUPR rating system.

Afterwards, we gather at picnic tables next to the courts for beer, snacks and conversation. I tend to be introverted, but pickleball has forced me to be more social in a good way. I've been playing a little less than two years.

DW is a solid 3.0 player but is working to level up with skills and drills sessions offered by our local pickleball association, which has over 1000 members (a 40% increase in one year). We have 28 courts at four locations within a twenty minute drive of our residence.

I’ve been playing since covid and I am a solid 3.5. I’ve never played a sport in my life and not particularly athletic but I quite enjoy the game. It’s very social and a wonderful hobby for retirement. It can take on a life if its own so I don’t play nearly as much as others. If I did, I would be much better but I have too many other interesting things to do and not enough hours in the day.

I like the idea of a king of the court league. Did an individual set this up or was it a city thing? is it on public courts? are you able to reserve the courts for your group? we have a group me app that the players talk to each other about where and when we are playing.
I play almost every day. outside mostly but inside if the weather doesn't cooperate plus in the winter I am in AZ and play in the APPL league. thanks for any info.

I like the idea of a king of the court league. Did an individual set this up or was it a city thing? is it on public courts? are you able to reserve the courts for your group? we have a group me app that the players talk to each other about where and when we are playing.
I play almost every day. outside mostly but inside if the weather doesn't cooperate plus in the winter I am in AZ and play in the APPL league. thanks for any info.

Our association is called CAPA (Capital Area Pickleball Association). It works closely with municipal/village recreation departments for access/reservations to public pickleball courts. "Organizers" within CAPA run the king of the courts, round robin and other organized events. They use SignUpGenius for announced organized events and signup functions.

In my little town, things are run much more informally. We use http://playtimescheduler.com to find out who is playing and where. When we travel, playtime scheduler helps us to find games on the road. We have a small men's group that plays once per week for competitive play, and the rest of the time is social with a wide range of players from first-timers on up.

DW picked up Pickleball on a whim about a year ago, and now she plays 3-4 times a week (3.0-3.5). After a few months I thought I'd try it, and much to my surprise it's a blast. So we play in our own 8-12 player mixed doubles group every Saturday morning, and I am trying to play at least once more per week. Golf is my main pastime, three days a week, but if anything I enjoy Pickleball more.

Signs of old age: I played varsity tennis in high school. Now I look at the tennis courts next to the Pickleball courts we play at and wonder 'how did I ever cover than much court by myself' - they look huge now. Now at 69 yo, covering half a Pickleball court with a partner is all I can handle...:blush:

Last edited:
DW picked up Pickleball on a whim about a year ago, and she plays 3-4 times a week. After a few months I thought I'd try it, and much to my surprise it's a blast. So we play in our own 8-12 player mixed doubles group every Saturday morning, and I am trying to play at least once more per week. Golf is my main pastime, three days a week, but if anything I enjoy Pickleball more.

Signs of old age: I played varsity tennis in high school. Now I look at the tennis courts next to the Pickleball courts we play at and wonder 'how did I ever cover than much court by myself' - they look huge now. Now at 69 yo, covering half a Pickleball court with a partner is all I can handle...:blush:
LOL, that's great and answers a question I just posted on another thread...when or at what age did you consider yourself OLD?

LOL, that's great and answers a question I just posted on another thread...when or at what age did you consider yourself OLD?
I think we all extend what age=OLD throughout our lives.

At about age 60 I asked my Mom what she thought it would like to be 80? She said "What a silly question, I'll be dead long before then." She died naturally at 93 yo...

Be careful with injuries. It could cost $400,000,000. New article.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/27/business/pickleball-injuries-cost-health-care/index.html

I saw an article a while back about people living in the vicinity of pickleball courts complaining about the noise generated from playing the game affecting life in their neighborhoods.

Wear hearing protection to be safe.

I know about the noise complaints first-hand. One of the nearby towns is Sauk City, where the Culvers restaurant chain started. The courts are in the large Culver Community park but are located tight against the back yards and decks of some nice newer homes. Not everyone is pleased. The parks department has worked to come up with a court schedule that appeases some of the concerns. I personally don't think pickleball itself is all that noisy, but the humans playing can be noisy and even profane at times--not dissimilar to recreational tennis or golf.

Injuries are a risk with pickleball. I've seen broken wrists, torn muscles, etc. But there are also health benefits.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...efits-of-a-sport-thats-boomed-in-the-pandemic

I play Pickleball 5x to 6x weekly for 4-5 hours daily.
I have won a bunch of medals at the 4.0 level and currently play at the 4/4.5 level.
It is the best daily activity for me in retirement and have given up golf and tennis for it.

I personally don't think pickleball itself is all that noisy, but the humans playing can be noisy and even profane at times--not dissimilar to recreational tennis or golf.

From what I understand, it's the sharp piercing sound of hitting the ball with the racquet that really travels and annoys people vs. the lower frequency sound of tennis. Supposedly some equipment is better in that regard.

There are no tennis courts or pickleball courts in my neighborhood, thank goodness, but I do get annoyed hearing the basketball bouncing on the concrete driveway from time to time a couple houses down. I don't actually hear the people.

From what I understand, it's the sharp piercing sound of hitting the ball with the racquet that really travels and annoys people vs. the lower frequency sound of tennis. Supposedly some equipment is better in that regard.

There are no tennis courts or pickleball courts in my neighborhood, thank goodness, but I do get annoyed hearing the basketball bouncing on the concrete driveway from time to time a couple houses down. I don't actually hear the people.
You forgot…

1yetdk.jpg

I saw an article a while back about people living in the vicinity of pickleball courts complaining about the noise generated from playing the game affecting life in their neighborhoods.

Wear hearing protection to be safe.

They closed the pickleball courts at a park in Denver because of the noise.

https://kdvr.com/news/pickleball-players-fight-plans-to-close-congress-park-courts/#:~:text=DENVER%20(KDVR)%20%E2%80%94%20What%20used,courts%20farther%20away%20from%20homes.

They tried to find an alternative location, but haven't been successful.

I have won a bunch of medals at the 4.0 level and currently play at the 4/4.5 level.
It is the best daily activity for me in retirement and have given up golf and tennis for it.

That's great, Dtail. I consider myself a 4.0 player and jump between organized play at 3.5/4.0 and 4.0/4.5 level. My DUPR rating is north of 4.5, but I'm confident that it will level out closer to 4.0 with more games. I registered for DUPR two months ago. It's become a requirement around here for some of the organized play. I haven't won any medals. I'll be playing in my first entry fee style tournament later this summer.

That's great, Dtail. I consider myself a 4.0 player and jump between organized play at 3.5/4.0 and 4.0/4.5 level. My DUPR rating is north of 4.5, but I'm confident that it will level out closer to 4.0 with more games. I registered for DUPR two months ago. It's become a requirement around here for some of the organized play. I haven't won any medals. I'll be playing in my first entry fee style tournament later this summer.

Yeah DUPR also north of 4.5. It appears to some extent that the 4.0 level players have a higher DUPR differential rating to their level of play than the 4.5 level players. Just an observation, but not really sure if it is true.
Congrats on entering your first entry fee tournament.

I have won a relative equal mix of Gold, Silver, Bronze among my medals, all in the last 2 years.
I must state that I have taken a break this year so far in playing tournaments. Just not as excited over it. The costs escalate if one enters the PPA (Amateur levels) type tournaments, plus at the last PPA tournament, I had to wait 2 hours for my 2nd match. Lots of fun though watching the pros from close up.

Anyway good luck on your first tournament and try to relax, as it can be nerve wracking the first match.

Wow! That’s impressive! Playing 4-5 hours is quite a workout. I have no idea what level I am. DH and I have been just playing singles. It’s great exercise and we really enjoy it.

Wow! That’s impressive! Playing 4-5 hours is quite a workout. I have no idea what level I am. DH and I have been just playing singles. It’s great exercise and we really enjoy it.

If you end up moving to FLA, you will probably have many choices of Pickleball courts.

If you end up moving to FLA, you will probably have many choices of Pickleball courts.
True. But it’s growing like mad all over. Evidently Hawaii has the most pickleball courts per capita.

In NC where we play we almost always reserve courts. Just showing up and hoping doesn’t pan out often. https://pickleball.si.com/news/pickleball-boom-revealing-the-top-states-for-playing-the-sport

Despite being home to 633 pickleball courts, Florida ranks only 33rd in terms of courts per capita. South Carolina boasts 109 courts, securing the 9th position nationwide in courts per capita.

Last edited:
I must state that I have taken a break this year so far in playing tournaments. Just not as excited over it. The costs escalate if one enters the PPA (Amateur levels) type tournaments, plus at the last PPA tournament, I had to wait 2 hours for my 2nd match. Lots of fun though watching the pros from close up.

Anyway good luck on your first tournament and try to relax, as it can be nerve wracking the first match.

Thanks. I was surprised how expensive the entry fees can be. I'm filling in for someone whose partner is relocating and unavailable for the tournament. Registration and 1 event was $70. I'm on the other end of the spectrum from the "blow that dough" thread, so it hurts a little bit. Double elimination can mean it's over after two games. My partner is older/mobility-limited, just leveled up and nursing an injury. I'm keeping expectations low.

The highlight of my year was "playing" with a pro. She showed up unexpectedly on a weeknight organized event and offered to play if her games wouldn't be entered in DUPR. Her family lives in the area. By luck of the draw (cards), she was placed on the same court as me, and by another draw, she was my partner in the first game. I have never felt more "protected" in play. It was like she was tied to my movements. We easily won the first game. Winners split, and my new partner and I took her to 11-7 in the second game. Our obvious strategy was not to hit to her. :) I looked her up and she was top ten in the country just a couple of years ago. She didn't lose a game that night and was "queen" of the court, even with people targeting her partner.

I started to play just before covid and although no DUPR, I'd put myself between 3.0 to 3.5. Currently not playing as much as I would like, for example, played for the first time in 5 weeks yesterday. I know I could move up if I played more and drilled which I don't do. I typically play in mixed fall and spring leagues and with some of the regulars from those leagues who I also played with rec wise before the leagues. We are all about the same level, and our games are fun and I enjoy playing with friends. Right now playing is tough outside due to the heat/humidity. We have a senior center with 3 indoor courts, but I find the lighting and reflective flooring throws off my depth perception, plus it's extremely crowded, so I gave up indoor. Our town is adding 4 more courts, which will be filled in a hurry when they open in the fall. What frustrates me with pickleball is playing in tournaments. I have a couple of 2nd place medals in mens doubles, however, we often get blown out. I'm 74 and my partner is 80 and we end up playing folks in their 40s and 50s and if we are lucky early 60s, some of whom also sandbag their ratings in my opinion. There are never enough to have a separate 65+ 3.0-3.5 category, so we get stuck playing younger and higher rated folks. And to think, pickleball started as a sport for seniors:facepalm:.

True. But it’s growing like mad all over. Evidently Hawaii has the most pickleball courts per capita.

In NC where we play we almost always reserve courts. Just showing up and hoping doesn’t pan out often. https://pickleball.si.com/news/pickleball-boom-revealing-the-top-states-for-playing-the-sport

I play mainly in 3 places. One is a community where there has to be 1 member who lives there and they can invite 3 others. So no issues there.
Another one I play 2x weekly with a set high level group and that costs me 250 yearly, so no issue there.
The last one is open play, where the better players usually get to play with each other. The most time I need to wait is one game and usually play at least 2 games before sitting down.

Thanks. I was surprised how expensive the entry fees can be. I'm filling in for someone whose partner is relocating and unavailable for the tournament. Registration and 1 event was $70. I'm on the other end of the spectrum from the "blow that dough" thread, so it hurts a little bit. Double elimination can mean it's over after two games. My partner is older/mobility-limited, just leveled up and nursing an injury. I'm keeping expectations low.

The highlight of my year was "playing" with a pro. She showed up unexpectedly on a weeknight organized event and offered to play if her games wouldn't be entered in DUPR. Her family lives in the area. By luck of the draw (cards), she was placed on the same court as me, and by another draw, she was my partner in the first game. I have never felt more "protected" in play. It was like she was tied to my movements. We easily won the first game. Winners split, and my new partner and I took her to 11-7 in the second game. Our obvious strategy was not to hit to her. :) I looked her up and she was top ten in the country just a couple of years ago. She didn't lose a game that night and was "queen" of the court, even with people targeting her partner.

Nice story about the pro. I played a few times with and against a top 10 woman in doubles. Great games and one can see the difference between 4/4.5 and a pro, but did get her a few times on certain shots. lol
Yeah, a PPA tournament can easily cost more than 100 all in.

We've got a sticky "golf" thread, and a number of spectator sports threads. Seems natural to have a thread for the fastest-growing sport in the U.S., and one that many early-retired people like to play.

I didn't play very long today, due to local air quality issues. A friend of mine has been taking paid lessons at the high intermediate level and was excited to try some new shots out on me. He learned that getting fed balls by his coach is different than an opponent who is moving him around with challenging dinks. But we both had fun experimenting with some different things.

Back
Top Bottom