Pickleball Life

Pickleball sure has become popular around here. My town has a fairly large number of municipal pickleball courts; I am told by those who play that they are always full. Just today, the mall in Stamford, CT, opened a 27 court pickleball facility (with locker rooms, showers, lounge and cafe) in the space that used to be Saks 5th Avenue.

I used to walk that mall almost everyday after lunch at Mega Corp. I saw the video on this pickleball conversion as that large space sat empty for quite some time.

DH and I prefer playing singles. We haven’t had a problem getting court time this summer, but it will be a different matter during season. I find that doubles is plenty of exercise while I’m playing, but with doubles there are frequent extended breaks while sitting out and allowing others their turn to play.

I don’t understand this. Any court that we’ve played at, the rules for rotating onto a court are the same whether the game is doubles or singles. Playing singles does not entitle players to monopolize a court, you still have to come off after “X” (typically there are at least two players leaving the court after each game to allow others in).

How does it work where you play? Are there courts designated for singles play only?

I don’t understand this. Any court that we’ve played at, the rules for rotating onto a court are the same whether the game is doubles or singles. Playing singles does not entitle players to monopolize a court, you still have to come off after “X” (typically there are at least two players leaving the court after each game to allow others in).

How does it work where you play? Are there courts designated for singles play only?

The courts we’ve been playing on have either had some designated for singles play, or have had empty courts available.

The 6 public courts we play at, 3 can be reserved, 3 are open play first come first serve. I play regularly with 8 or 12 mixed doubles, sometimes just 4, we always reserve in advance. There are no rules for the open courts, but usually people will come off after 2 hours or less someone else can play. There is no rotating in that we’ve ever seen, and there are some groups that will monopolize courts for 4-5 hours straight. If there were hour limits, there wouldn’t be anyone there to enforce them anyway.

There are also 4 tennis courts. I’ve never seen more than 1 or 2 in use, while the 6 pickleball courts are full most of the day. Hopefully they will convert more tennis courts to dedicated pickleball (not just adding pickleball lines to tennis courts).

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpeg
    IMG_2793.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Overdid it today in Pickleball. Played 5.5 hours with the heat index going up to 111. Super competitive 3 games at the end, so couldn't stop.
Paying the price on and off with cramps during the afternoon.
Drank 250 oz (not a misprint) of water and gatorade, but still..

Overdid it today in Pickleball. Played 5.5 hours with the heat index going up to 111. Super competitive 3 games at the end, so couldn't stop.

250oz? If I drank half that much water I would be peeing every 30-45 minutes for hours.

250oz? If I drank half that much water I would be peeing every 30-45 minutes for hours.

I kid you not.:)
I sweat more than the average "Joe" and WADR to TMI, I very rarely hit the bathroom by the PB courts.
Normally, I drink around 6 bottles of water and 2 Gatorades for a total of around 140 oz.

If I played 5.5 hrs in this DFW heat, I'd be in the ER, as I can barely make it past an hour.

Finished my first tournament. It was a struggle. We won some games but were eventually eliminated well before the end of the bracket. My partner was getting targeted and was frustrated with his play. Windy conditions made third shot drops challenging. Lots of drives and firefights. Too many popups from our side of the net. Live and learn. My DUPR will be taking a hit to probably a more realistic level. My partner was talking about dropping down a level for the next tournament. I'm going to take a week off to better manage plantar fasciitis, which didn't affect me during the tournament but has me hobbling when getting up in the morning.

Finished my first tournament. It was a struggle. We won some games but were eventually eliminated well before the end of the bracket. My partner was getting targeted and was frustrated with his play. Windy conditions made third shot drops challenging. Lots of drives and firefights. Too many popups from our side of the net. Live and learn. My DUPR will be taking a hit to probably a more realistic level. My partner was talking about dropping down a level for the next tournament. I'm going to take a week off to better manage plantar fasciitis, which didn't affect me during the tournament but has me hobbling when getting up in the morning.

At least you won some games in your first tournament. Not easy to get to the medal round.
Is your partner the partner you usually play with in rec?
I have found that many tournaments are played in open spaces where unfortunately wind is a factor.

At least you won some games in your first tournament. Not easy to get to the medal round.
Is your partner the partner you usually play with in rec?
(snip)

No, it's somebody who lost his original partner due to job relocation. We played together a few times after my substitution. I've played with and against the guys who knocked us out. They are both good, spotted a weakness, and took full advantage of it. Unforced errors tell the rest of the story. The hardest part is that we had big early leads in the games we lost. We had a chance. Just didn't capitalize.

Wow! Impressive that you can play so long in this heat and humidity.

On a different note, even though DH and I have played quite a bit, I haven’t had professional coaching and I’m not that good. I enjoy playing with him. He’s much better than I am (he used to play tennis and racquetball), and he still gets a workout when he plays me so he is willing to dial back his skill level so that we can play together. Singles work well for us to get a good workout and enjoy the game.

What is the etiquette on open play when one is a relative beginner? I hate feeling like I’m holding someone else back from winning games. On the rare occasion when I’ve tried open play, the team I’m on generally loses, so I hesitate to even try to play the open play.

Pickleball is so popular in FL that I feel like I need to be ok with doing open play with others. Other than getting some professional coaching and just practicing with DH as much as I can, any suggestions?

Wow! Impressive that you can play so long in this heat and humidity.

On a different note, even though DH and I have played quite a bit, I haven’t had professional coaching and I’m not that good. I enjoy playing with him. He’s much better than I am (he used to play tennis and racquetball), and he still gets a workout when he plays me so he is willing to dial back his skill level so that we can play together. Singles work well for us to get a good workout and enjoy the game.

What is the etiquette on open play when one is a relative beginner? I hate feeling like I’m holding someone else back from winning games. On the rare occasion when I’ve tried open play, the team I’m on generally loses, so I hesitate to even try to play the open play.

Pickleball is so popular in FL that I feel like I need to be ok with doing open play with others. Other than getting some professional coaching and just practicing with DH as much as I can, any suggestions?

There are 2 types of places I play at and both types could conceptually work for you.
The first place has 8 courts. 4 for less experienced and 4 for intermediate/advanced players. Play is free.
There is usually more laughter coming from the lesser experienced courts. lol
The other place costs $8 daily or $250 yearly. It is theoretically open play, but ends up having groups of similar talent level organizing playing with each other on set courts.
Either of the above settings could work for you.

I know many players who have taken lessons and it appears to help somewhat, but doing certain drills, continuous playing and perhaps watching Pro tournaments can be just as helpful, if not more so.

If one has great hand/eye coordination, one will logically get better over time. If not, typically one can get somewhat better, but there will most likely be upper limits on the skill achieved.

I imagine that good knees would also be a requirement.

I got into pickleball late last year and was pleased at how strong and fit it made me feel. I loved it!

However, I realize I don’t care for open play at all. I’m either getting fired at by advanced opponents on the other side team, nagged at by my advanced partners rotating in, or doing the nagging myself when I get a partner rotating in who is an absolute newbie.

I don’t get the skills development I’m looking for with all the rotating in and out; I need a little more continuity to work on strategies and practicing things like stacking.

And once I’m in the groove, I hate to be rotated out.

But that’s the way it works around here, as I’ve seen so far.

I have resorted to skinny singles with DH—also a rookie—until I can find a smaller group of regulars I can play with. I thought I’d found some, but they joined the larger, open play pack.

I imagine that good knees would also be a requirement.

True plus a decent in shape back. Lots of bending as most balls are struck at the waist level and below.

I got into pickleball late last year and was pleased at how strong and fit it made me feel. I loved it!

However, I realize I don’t care for open play at all. I’m either getting fired at by advanced opponents on the other side team, nagged at by my advanced partners rotating in, or doing the nagging myself when I get a partner rotating in who is an absolute newbie.

I don’t get the skills development I’m looking for with all the rotating in and out; I need a little more continuity to work on strategies and practicing things like stacking.

I have resorted to skinny singles with DH—also a rookie—until I can find a smaller group of regulars I can play with. I thought I’d found some, but they joined the larger, open play pack.

In one of the places I play in where there is a charge to play, there are many 6 person groups who are less advanced that regularly play there and have fun.

I’m too cheap to pay for a private or small group coach. There are a number of high level pros that teach skills and drills on their YouTube channels. Then it’s a matter of getting out with a partner and drilling until those skills and strategies become more automatic during play.

Physical limitations do play a role in determining ceilings, but I play socially with lots of folks with bad knees, hips, backs, etc who are at the intermediate level.

One does have to be diplomatic about offering advice to newbies or to members of the opposite gender. My rule of thumb is to only offer help when asked. I have an acquaintance who has developed a bad rep for unsolicited advice to the women in our local social group. #JustDon’t

One of the best ways to improve is find a suitable wall and you can drill with yourself. Definitely good for ones backhand. I also don't like the idea of paying a coach, although I suppose a good one could make you better. I get a lot out of watching pro level matches and videos. I just wish I knew about and started playing 20 years ago when my quickness and reflexes were better.

I really hope this pickle/pong fad keeps going. It's sure been a lot easier getting tennis court time.

I really hope this pickle/pong fad keeps going. It's sure been a lot easier getting tennis court time.

Yup, let's hope this 36 million people playing fad keeps going, as they continue to convert tennis courts by us to Pickleball courts.:cool:

I can relate to what you’re saying! I really prefer singles with DH. On the E Coast of FL and also in GA, we had no problem finding singles courts, but in SW FL, it’s been a bit of a challenge to find anything other than open play.

I can relate to what you’re saying! I really prefer singles with DH. On the E Coast of FL and also in GA, we had no problem finding singles courts, but in SW FL, it’s been a bit of a challenge to find anything other than open play.

I had a feeling we were thinking the same way.

I play Pickleball 5x to 6x weekly for 4-5 hours daily.
I have won a bunch of medals at the 4.0 level and currently play at the 4/4.5 level.
It is the best daily activity for me in retirement and have given up golf and tennis for it.

Why did you give up golf for pickle ball?

Is it better exercise? Less demanding of time than driving to the golf course, waiting for tee times?

I want to mix up my walks with some other activity which isn't too stressful on my knees and body. I can't even shoot baskets without my arthritic knee bothering me afterwards.

How much do you move in pickle ball with hard starts and stops? Or lunges?

Just heard on a podcast that there have been fist fights breaking out. Especially like in some homeowner communities which installed and then removed pickle ball courts because of the noise.

Now they're coming out with special equipment with coating to reduce noise. Racquets and balls would have this sound-deadening tech. But it could change the dynamics of the sport, maybe ball doesn't move as fast. That could impact competitive matches.

There are also disputes over noise at some public venues too.

John McEnroe will demonstrate this less noisy equipment at some event.

Wow, no wonder tennis players are sore, their sport is being usurped by pickle ball.

Back
Top Bottom