Plasma or LCD

Scored a 58" Panasonic Plasma for $1199 and a 42" Panasonic Plasma for $599 day after Christmas (BB matches competitor's advertized prices - found both listed by a place known for their factory refurbs - with the actual model # listed!)...bought the cables & stuff for CHEAP from Amazon for more savings. Neither was a floor model or out of the box. Researched & surveyed others for the past couple months, so we knew what we were looking for. The biggie is scheduled for (free) delivery tomorrow! These were our 2010 luxury purchases!

I love Samsung. I love plasma. In the last 3 years, I've had Samsung plasmas pn50a450 (720p), pn42b450 (720p), pn58c8000 (1080p, 3D). All great sets, because they have very good color, and have lots of user controls so you can adjust them yourself (avoiding a professional calibration).

I just bought the Samsung pn58c8000 (1080p, 3D, 58" plasma HDTV). It's the end of the model year so I got a barely used demo for a somewhat reduced price. I am so glad to hear that you like yours!

After reading this thread and researching online, I had originally planned to get the Panasonic. However Best Buy couldn't find the stand for that one (which was also a demo and wall mounted). So, the salesman sold me the Samsung which cost less anyway. It will be delivered tomorrow. At last, I think I will have defeated the vision problems resulting from my aging eyes!! :D At least for now.

And see, REW? (I know you're reading this. I just know it. :LOL:) We old geezers and geezerettes can get into new technology like 3D HDTV's too. Well, I might get into that feature, anyway, although I'm not entirely sure whether or not I will actually use that capability. Mostly I'm excited by the SIZE of it and the beautiful picture. And the SIZE.... :cool:

F. helped me move all of my furniture around in preparation for it. For a temporary TV stand I'm going to use a rock solid, very heavy antique oak dining table (weighs a ton, but wouldn't budge with an entire football team jumping on it). So, we moved that table from the dining room into the den for the time being. As long as we were doing that, we moved all the furniture in the den around. Then once I choose the right home entertainment furniture, he can help me move the heavy oak table back and transfer the TV. I'm so lucky to know him. :)

I just bought the Samsung pn58c8000 (1080p, 3D, 58" plasma HDTV). It's the end of the model year so I got a barely used demo for a somewhat reduced price. I am so glad to hear that you like yours!
I do. After 9 months, it looks as good as ever. I find I don't use 3D anymore, though I'm not against it --- it just seems too much trouble to switch the TV into 3D mode, and find the glasses and make sure they're charged up. When the Discovery 3D channel comes on line, maybe I'll get back to it.

Here's a suggestion about adjusting the set's picture controls. Use "Relax" mode, and adjust the main Contrast etc. options to taste. Your best-looking values will differ, but I have mine set to Cell Light : 16, Contrast : 80, Brightness : 50, Color : 26, Picture Options : Color Tone : Warm1.

I do. After 9 months, it looks as good as ever. I find I don't use 3D anymore, though I'm not against it --- it just seems too much trouble to switch the TV into 3D mode, and find the glasses and make sure they're charged up. When the Discovery 3D channel comes on line, maybe I'll get back to it.

Here's a suggestion about adjusting the set's picture controls. Use "Relax" mode, and adjust the main Contrast etc. options to taste. Your best-looking values will differ, but I have mine set to Cell Light : 16, Contrast : 80, Brightness : 50, Color : 26, Picture Options : Color Tone : Warm1.

Thanks, Greg! I'll try it. It was delivered this afternoon, and I have been familiarizing myself with the controls and enjoying the terrific picture. It almost seems like 3-D, when it is in 2-D and watching a 2-D show, probably due to the great colors. I am very happy with it so far. :D

Back
Top Bottom