pleased with food budget

I track our electricity usage in a spreadsheet and I know how many kilowatt-hours we use each month/day and what our average daily $ is spent per day each month and for the whole year. I don't do a whole lot with the data, but it is still useful. For example, I know that if we leave the house for an extended time (like a month or more) our energy use drops to half/third the usual. I know that if we are keeping our motorhome at a "comfortable" temperature because we are living in it, our daily electricity use will go up quite a bit, whereas if we have the slides in, windows covered with insulation and the thermostat turned up into the mid-80s, the energy use is a lot lower. I know that if we go through a cold spell (we are in the semi-tropics), our electric heat will almost pull as much electricity as the AC in summer. I know that spring and fall and a mild winter tend to have very low electricity usage. I find all this information quite useful, and I expect that if there was an unexpected change in the data, I would notice and investigate.

He He... I don't suppose you were a bean counter in your previous life:D
Nope - engineer! I like to understand and verify how any machine/system works - or at least have an approximate model :D.

"How To Forage For Free Food - Let's Get Foraging"
This will beat all you suckers.

Last edited:
Update--last month $508. So happy to have learned that dry beans can cook in slow cooker without soaking.

Update--last month $508. So happy to have learned that dry beans can cook in slow cooker without soaking.

That is wonderful, Palomalou! Wow. I spent $449.84 on groceries+restaurants last month, but then there is only one of me whereas you are buying groceries for both you and your DH. I am not really trying to keep costs down, but still, I think you are doing so well.

In February I spent only $154 on groceries. But it was an atypical month, because I was away for 9 of the 28 days.

In February I spent only $154 on groceries. But it was an atypical month, because I was away for 9 of the 28 days.

When we go away, our dining out/take away bill increase more than offsets the savings in groceries by a long way. Don't mind the not having to cook bit, but dining out while away is not good for the waistline:)

When we go away, our dining out/take away bill increase more than offsets the savings in groceries by a long way. Don't mind the not having to cook bit, but dining out while away is not good for the waistline:)

I was away on business and anything I spent on meals should be reimbursed, eventually.

I agree with you that home cooked food is healthier.

Please kindly remember that cheap food is not always the best choice. One of the most important things we can do to help our health is maintain a healthy diet in the long term. Eating cheaply may cost a lot more in healthcare needs in the long term.

Please kindly remember that cheap food is not always the best choice. One of the most important things we can do to help our health is maintain a healthy diet in the long term. Eating cheaply may cost a lot more in healthcare needs in the long term.

+1
Quality is very important.

I presume this was directed at me. I was not eating "cheap food". In fact I shopped for organic meat and produce, and cut out as much processed food as possible.

actually it was not. I apologize if you got that impression.

I presume this was directed at me. I was not eating "cheap food". In fact I shopped for organic meat and produce, and cut out as much processed food as possible.

I like to read your delicious-sounding menus on this thread but I have no idea how you eat the way you do on such a small budget.

I like to read your delicious-sounding menus on this thread but I have no idea how you eat the way you do on such a small budget.

Thank you! I find that since ER I have been able to eliminate a lot of waste by cooking at home and combining small quantities of foods that might otherwise be discarded into casseroles. Having the dry staples (e.g. Quinoa, rice, pasta) is helpful. I am fortunate to have some excellent food stores close by (and live in the middle of an agricultural area) so I buy fresh, chop up and freeze. This eliminates a lot of last minute impulse shopping.

To be fair, as I said, February was a month in which I was away for 9 days. I shopped in late January and in early March. And I did not do any entertaining. So not a typical month. January's grocery bill was $304. My actual budget for groceries is $100 per week and that includes household cleaners and other stuff bought in a supermarket.

Last edited:
I spent $107.97 in February. Because it's only me now I have left overs for days. I rarely eat out though. I have pizza about three times a year and a Subway sandwich every few weeks or so. Indian food is the only dinner I eat that's take out.

I made spaghetti tonight and it will last 3 more meals. I bought a 3lb roast a couple weeks ago and had 2 roast beef sandwiches, one dinner, and beef stroganoff til I gagged :) A rotisserie chicken for me would be 2 leg and wing meals and then I use the breasts to make 2 chicken/bacon salads for lunch.

Oh well, February ($154) proved to be an outlier. I spent $511 on groceries in March. Average weekly spending over the first three months of the year was $75 per week, which is exactly on budget. (I reduced my weekly budget from $100 to $75). I had very little eating out in March and I ate very well. I will be eating out more when I go on vacation later this month, so that will be relfected in the "vacation" expenses!

Last edited:

Late to this discussion, but it's a good one. We budgeted $800/month for groceries, just me and MSO. So far, we've spent and average of $560/month this year. Haven't done March's budget balance yet - hey - it's April now - gotta get on the stick!:facepalm:

I keep a little 5x3 ring-binder with tabs for A-B, C-D, etc. When I entered the land of the free, we went around to the local stores and wrote prices in there for the things we always buy. That way, we know when we go to the store, if we're getting a good price or not. We have a good-sized pantry, so if the price is really good, we stock up (can cause some blips in the grocery expenses, but it evens out over time).

We buy non-perishables at Walmart once a month. Once a week I go to our primary store for stuff W doesn't carry (there are just some name-brands I stick with) - this place doubles coupons less that $1, so we save those too. There's a 3rd store I go to when my patience is really high (they irritate me every time I go there!) And then, Walgreen's has a once-a-month "old f*rts" day that I try to take advantage of. (palomalou, you mentioned beans?) :(

I use our primary store's online grocery list builder. It can show me everything I've ever bought from them. I run down that list and add or delete things from my "standing" list. I use their tool to generate the W list too!:angel: That way, I know which place has the better price. Print 'em out and we're off.:greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom