Poll:How much do you give to charity?

How much do you give to charity each year?

• Less than 1%

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • 1 - 3%

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • 3 - 5%

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • 5 - 7%

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • 7 - 10%

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • 10% or more

Votes: 50 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We fall in the 2% range, although in similar fashion as an early poster noted, we support my AgedP to the tune of another 7.5%, approximately (that's monthly, there are irregular "emergencies" that in some years boost this a lot and years like this year, there is almost nothing additional). The support to AgedP doesn't really qualify as charity, though, more like an obligation, but it does partly explain why we aren't giving more at this point.

We're trying to figure out where to redirect this when the AgedP dies (she's 89, so it will be at some point in the next decade--probably). Probably the Food Bank where we are already contributing. Kids being hungry here really bothers me. I think a lot of posters here are very generous, more so than myself although I try not to be an Ebenezer Scrooge. Edit: Come to think of it, we're driving to Texas to visit the AgedP for Thanksgiving, so I may just ask her where SHE wants half of it to go.

I was trying VERY hard NOT to word my question so that it would be interpreted that way, including acknowledging some possible reasons (e.g. very lean budget).

:D

Last edited:
The support to AgedP doesn't really qualify as charity, though, more like an obligation, but it does partly explain why we aren't giving more at this point.

Helping our aging parents absolutely is charitable! Just because you can’t deduct anything from your taxes doesn’t make it any less charitable. It’s an obligation to you because you love and respect your family and choose to make it an obligation!

I don't see giving money to parents and children as charity. Your parents raised you and that itself comes with obligations to take care of them when they get old. Same thing with children, they didn't ask to be born. If they need help financially, parents ought to take care of them.

I feel embarrassed, we probably don’t give enough. We’ve given annually to the Guide Dog foundation in memory of my sister, who was a volunteer there, and to Wounded Warriors ( just sent a check today) in memory of a childhood friend.
We also give to st Jude, and we used to give to a group called the coalition against breast cancer for years, until the scandal was exposed. It was a family who was sending out mailings so they could live well on the checks.
You never know…

But you can know.

There are websites that rate very carefully LOTS of charities, and if a charity is not rated, I have to think its because they are pocketing the money.

This one rates 160,000 charities. You can search for a charity, and then click on it's name to see lots of details about it.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/

I have always given my time to both organizations and people individually my entire life starting at age 20. For instance I helped a single mom by providing before school daycare daily for a year and some after school care for 3 years. My favorite groups are the Salvation Army, small dog rescue group and a local homeless shelter. Up until my income was cut in half last year by a divorce I also gave more money to groups than I do now. I feel that many of us can make a difference in people’s or animal’s lives whether it’s money, time or both. I voted in the 1-3% category.

But you can know.

There are websites that rate very carefully LOTS of charities, and if a charity is not rated, I have to think its because they are pocketing the money. ... https://www.charitynavigator.org/

Please consider thinking again. : )

Charity Navigator has criteria for which charities get rated.
https://www.charitynavigator.org/in...tid/2/cpid/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=32

Just because a charity is not rated doesn't imply they are unworthy. It may just be small or relatively new. No rating at all is NOT the same as a bad rating.

From this web site:
Currently, there are over 1.57 million nonprofits registered in the U.S. This website includes a listing for each and every one of them, but Charity Navigator's analysts only apply our objective rating methodology to a subset of those nonprofits. We use the following guidelines for choosing which charities to rate:

Tax Status: The organization must be registered as a 501(c) (3) public charity and file a Form 990.

Revenue: The charity must have generated at least $1 million in revenue for two consecutive years.

Length of Operations: The organization must have been in existence, with corresponding Forms 990, for at least seven years.

Location: While we only rate charities based in the U.S. and registered with the IRS, the scope of a charity's work can be international. In fact, we rate more than a thousand charities that have an international aspect to their work.

Public Support: The charity must have at least $500,000 in public support. Public support must account for at least 40% of total revenue for at least two consecutive years.

Fundraising Expenses: The charity must have at least 1% of its expenses allocated to fundraising for three consecutive years.

Administrative Expenses: The charity must have at least 1% of its expenses allocated to administrative expense for three consecutive years.

NOTE: While we strive to rate all types of charities so that donors with different types of philanthropic passions can find a charity to support, we've determined that we cannot evaluate certain types of charities. Therefore, we are no longer adding ratings for:

Land Trusts
Hospitals and Hospital Foundations
Universities, Colleges, Private Elementary and Secondary Schools, and their Foundations
Sorority and Fraternity Foundations
Donor Advised Funds
Charities with CN Advisories
Fiscal Sponsors

<snip>But since we are contributing over 50% of our (pre-tax) income to our retirement plans, what we can give to St. Jude's (after our modest living expenses and Uncle Sam's taxes - I'm not bitching, Gumby, we're in the 12% bracket and grateful to be there!) comes out to just under 1% of our gross income for the year. So that's why I voted <1% in the poll.

We do plan on giving more as we get closer and into retirement.

I retired 7 years ago and am probably giving more to charity on an inflation-adjusted basis now than I did then. The market has been good, my WD rate is sustainable and with DH's death 5 years ago, the scary scenario of one of us in LTC (he was 15 years older) and one in the home is no longer a consideration. It does make a difference to have many of the uncertainties of retirement resolved.

I can’t believe there are people who consider charity when they are giving to family

I can’t believe there are people who consider charity when they are giving to family

If people are able to do both, why not? There will always be people in need of food, healthcare and shelter that are provided by the generosity of others.

I dunno. I see some possibilities in the concept. So I could keep good records of the cost of raising my children - rent, food, clothing. etc. At the end of the their childhood, I present them with a bill for all those costs. But then, as a charitable contribution, I forgive the debt, maybe some every year. Boom! Instant tax deduction. Of course, I'd probably need them to incorporate themselves as a 501(c)(3) organization. But you can see the opportunity.

I dunno. I see some possibilities in the concept. So I could keep good records of the cost of raising my children - rent, food, clothing. etc. At the end of the their childhood, I present them with a bill for all those costs. But then, as a charitable contribution, I forgive the debt, maybe some every year. Boom! Instant tax deduction. Of course, I'd probably need them to incorporate themselves as a 501(c)(3) organization. But you can see the opportunity.

Enjoy the IRS audits! [emoji23]

"Charity Begins At Home" :D Seriously, if a family member gives me money or whatever and calls it charity, I would be pissed because I don't want charity.

We believe that giving, whether to family or to charities is somewhat like faith.

The very last thing we like is someone wearing their faith on their sleeve or bragging about their giving.

Our view is that it is very personal . We keep very much to ourselves.

On those occasions when we have given money to relatives there has always been only one proviso. That the person keep our gift confidential and not disclose it to anyone.

Last edited:
"Charity Begins At Home" :D Seriously, if a family member gives me money or whatever and calls it charity, I would be pissed because I don't want charity.

So all those people that accept money/services/food from the charities that you give money to, are really accepting some money from you and people like you, after charity expenses, and you call it charity.

Does this mean you are pissing off the people you indirectly give charity to through your donations :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom