• Used to but cut it

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • You made the poll wrong because blah, blah, blah

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • I like soup

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't consider voip a "landline." All semantics I guess, but I think of a landline as copper wire coming into your house.

My cable comes into my house on a copper wire so my voip isn't much different then a landline.

Fiber optics Ha Ha, might never happen around here.

Depends on your definition of "land line".

There is a phone number that rings phones (which plug into RJ11 jacks) at our house. But it is VOIP, not traditional POTS (copper wires) service.

Last edited:
I don't consider voip a "landline." All semantics I guess, but I think of a landline as copper wire coming into your house.

+1. To me, landline = POTS for voice

I do have a Telco copper line coming onto my house for our DSL internet service.

we have had ooma (voip) for many years now. at $5/ month it's good to have an extra line to have when you need to give out your phone number and for 911 calls.

Same here. How do I vote with this quasi landline?

A w0rk story while we all enjoy some soup. :cool:

Years ago, I had an intern assigned to me while in a purchasing role. One assignment I gave her was to contact our top thirty (by annual spend) suppliers and and inform each of them that our payment terms would change at the end of the year (new terms = net never). This was in early September, so it was a low priority task. I asked that she just work it in as time permitted, with the goal of having it complete by month end.

Anyway, during our weekly f2f review, she explained that several numbers on the list were no good. When she dialed them, she got some beeping noise. Well, I knew the numbers were good, because i routinely called almost all of these suppliers. So, I stopped the meeting and we reviewed the supplier/phone number listing that she had. I saw that only a few had been lined through. Then, while looking at the list, I noticed that all the suppliers contacted were local ones. On a hunch, I asked her to call the first "problem" supplier, and observed as she dialed. Sure enough, she was not dialing a "1" required when calling long distance. She had only used a land line a few times in her entire life and had no knowledge of long distance dialing protocol from a land line. We enjoyed a good laugh, and she got about the business of making a lot of suppliers very upset. :mad:

I was glad to get out of purchasing. There were too many days when I felt like I needed to take a shower when I got home....

We still have a landline that's hardly ever used for $40 month - kind of dumb!

We have Paygo cell phones because we spend 5 months in each of Vancouver and Puerto Vallarta. We always get people to call our landlines in both places because the cell phone cost per minute are high. We have also had MagicJack since they introduced their service. It is most useful for calling 800 numbers from Mexico.

In Vancouver, the landline is used to open the front door when we rent it out. In PV, the service is bundled with internet for 389 pesos a month.

My wife's work requires her to have a true dedicated land line (not VOIP). However, the local phone company has applied to get out of the landline business. Not sure what will happen when this gets approved, but it is only a matter of time.

We still have a basic landline (local only). It is primarily for alarm service and we don't use it for calls out and never answer it when it rings. At some point we are going to redo our alarm system and get rid of the landline. On the "to do list".

Still have a land line since I have dsl from the phone coop. I could get up to 25 mbps on that line. (I use satellite tv so no cable).

Basic land line. Primarily because the alarm is on it.. but also during Hurricanes (I'm in FL), after a storm it's the only way to communicate with family. Cell and Net go down fast and come back slow...

Basic land line. Primarily because the alarm is on it.. but also during Hurricanes (I'm in FL), after a storm it's the only way to communicate with family. Cell and Net go down fast and come back slow...

Of course if the storm takes down the electric lines if the telephone lines are on the same poles they may also go down, just like cable lines. However during non storm related power outages the landlines just keep working.
If charging the cell phone is an issue buy a 12 v charger for it.

Wonder if people in the Keys wish they had landlines.

Wonder if people in the Keys wish they had landlines.

As bad as the electric situation is in the keys with lots of lines down, I suspect since land lines are typically on the same pole the land lines are physically down i.e. laying on the ground or in pieces.

That's right. In a severe enough storm, it doesn't help to have a landline. Having had that experience in 2016, I finally had no excuse left for not getting rid of my landline, so I did. Nice to not have that bill.

Back
Top Bottom