Poll: The annual "horrible Christmas carol" poll

All time worst holiday Song

• Grandma got run over by a reindeer? really? elder abuse

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • The Chipmunks Christmas song.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Santa Baby, lol, doesn't he have a wife!!

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • I want a hippopotamus for Christmas

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Other...

Votes: 28 36.4%

• Total voters
Novelty songs don't bother me as long as they die out after a year. I object to every artist producing a Christmas Album. It was a novelty when Elvis did it, but it got old quickly.

Elvis sold over a billion records and yet his biggest selling album is his original Christmas album. Pretty amazing.

Man, what a bunch of Scrooges! While I admit that some Christmas songs have been overdone, and some others don't quite reach the level of "art", they're just songs. Certainly no worse than what gets played on radio stations every day of the year. If something comes on and you don't want to hear it, switch stations or turn off the machine. If you're getting inundated because you are spending too much time in the mall, well, you have bigger issues than Christmas songs.

By the way, I differentiate between Christmas Carols and Christmas songs. IMHO none of the songs listed in the poll are Christmas Carols. O Holy Night is a Christmas Carol. And a damn good one.

My thought as well. I guess when the post is "Worst Christmas Songs Ever", then it's a little bit of an invitation :LOL:

Ironically, we were at a Holiday Boat Parade last weekend, and they started playing "Grandma Got Run Over By a Rain Deer". In poor taste, yeah, now that I think about it. SIL immediately said OMG, worst Christmas song ever. I never really thought about it seriously before. Maybe because both of my Grandmas were kind of nasty.

For instrumental Christmas music, I love Mannheim Steamroller. I wish they still toured. Saw them a couple of times in the 90's and really enjoyed their shows.

This year we are going to a Dave Koz show with Rick Braun, David Benoit & Peter White. Good way to get into the Christmas spirit!

Mannheim Steamroller is still touring. They are playing in our town (Sugar Land TX) on Dec 29.

Hands down! Even though it's obviously intentional.

In December, in Puerto Vallarta, the Peregrinaciones are celebrated starting December 1 for 12 days. No Christmas tunes but a procession from each neighborhood to the Cathedral with live bands.

Then in the 12 days before Christmas, the Posadas celebrate the voyage of Joseph and Mary looking for sustenance door-to-door on the way to church. It is much better than anything a mall can supply.

I voted other.
I detest the song "The Little Drummer Boy", especially the obnoxious refrain. I don't care who sings or how its arranged, its like nails on a chalk board to me.

Me too--and guess what song was stuck in my head when I woke up today.

Me too--and guess what song was stuck in my head when I woke up today.

I ran the question by DH today, who is also a musician and a singer. He has never ever sung Little Drummer Boy or played it on the piano and never wants to. It probably is perfect for little kids and home-made drums, however.

His pick for most boring (perhaps a separate category under "horrible") Christmas song is the Twelve Days of Christmas, but that one at least has been around for a few hundred years and is a little more interesting for a musician, at least one verse. Plus it keeps the brain exercised trying to remember how many lords are leaping.

Novelty songs don't bother me as long as they die out after a year.

This. Weird Al's songs are fun too, but I don't care to repeat them daily for a month. It's also similar to someone telling you the same joke over and over.

Nothing says, "HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!" like stupid, make no sense commercials for perfume and the oh-so-anticipated TOYOTA THON!!! You know it's ON, right?!? ;)

My thought as well. I guess when the post is "Worst Christmas Songs Ever", then it's a little bit of an invitation :LOL:

Ironically, we were at a Holiday Boat Parade last weekend, and they started playing "Grandma Got Run Over By a Rain Deer". In poor taste, yeah, now that I think about it. SIL immediately said OMG, worst Christmas song ever. I never really thought about it seriously before. Maybe because both of my Grandmas were kind of nasty.

Pa rum pum pum pum....

Nasty?... Who? Me Nasty?? :D:LOL:

Mannheim Steamroller is still touring. They are playing in our town (Sugar Land TX) on Dec 29.

Great to know, thanks! I've checked several times over the years and haven't seen them coming to Southern CA, but maybe they are again. I'll look.

Nothing says, "HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!" like stupid, make no sense commercials for perfume and the oh-so-anticipated TOYOTA THON!!! You know it's ON, right?!? ;)

Stupid nonsensical car ads. On the TV here now, Nissan has a tie in with the new Star Wars movie. For some reason. Because as if hearing the Imperial March somehow reminds people they need to buy a new SUV.

:facepalm:

The John Lennon song. I think it's called "Happy Christmas. War Is Over".

I really dislike that song.

No one has mentioned "All I want for Christmas is my Two front teeth".

Chipmunks version is the worst of all versions of this bad song.

His pick for most boring (perhaps a separate category under "horrible") Christmas song is the Twelve Days of Christmas, but that one at least has been around for a few hundred years and is a little more interesting for a musician, at least one verse. Plus it keeps the brain exercised trying to remember how many lords are leaping.

If you can make it to the end of this version by the late Irish comedian Frank Kelly, you will never have any trouble remembering how many lords are leaping (and getting up to hanky panky with the maids a’ milking!

https://youtu.be/oJoXCwkPVi8

I was standing in line at Macy's today and that horrid song played twice - 2 different versions.

On a humorous note, the non-stop Christmas music inside one of the other stores included, of all things, Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." About the darkest, most un-holiday-ish song one could select.

No one has mentioned "All I want for Christmas is my Two front teeth".

Chipmunks version is the worst of all versions of this bad song.

While not Xmas songs, the Lexus commercials that show a little kid ogling over the car with a red bow on it and then magically the kid is an adult ogling over the car. Sick.

And also, previously mentioned, TOYOTA commercials with the lady in RED now singing. Also sick.

I always hum (Grandma got run over)too my two sons as we walk to my MIL's house Christmas eve. I only hum it cause my wife told me never to sing it again and I would not like to upset her!

On a humorous note, the non-stop Christmas music inside one of the other stores included, of all things, Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." About the darkest, most un-holiday-ish song one could select.

Yep. It shows how culturally ignorant our institutions have become.

There are certainly a lot of bad ones. I voted “ Santa Baby”. Was cute the first time time I heard it but that was a long time ago. Eartha Kitt should have been ashamed of herself, but it was a different time I guess.

Far and away my favourite Christmas song is “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” by Darlene Love. Gives me shivers.

Last edited:
Hands down Feliz Navidad. Ugh I can't even write it without cringing. But I love the Moody Blues December CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom