• This question is stupid and/or confuses me

Votes: 13 9.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
No, not retirement class. :LOL:

We discussed class in this thread lately, and I wondered what forum members perceive to be their own class.

Definitions: YOU get to define class, any way you want.

I voted "Middle middle class" because that is how we live (i.e. modest small home, dine out once a week, both cars > 12 years old, etc.). However, I suspect that based on assets, we are likely "Upper middle class".

-Wino

Not only are there many different ways to parse "class," there are special ones just for Americans, that attempt to combine income, education, and occupation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class_in_the_United_States

Based on these constructs, Mr. A. rose from working class family to upper-middle class. I clambered from middle-middle family to upper-middle.

But both of us have always considered ourselves to be at least as good as anybody. :dance:Even when we were personally quite poor (lower class in terms of assets!)

Last edited:
Not only are there many different ways to parse "class," there are special ones just for Americans, that attempt to combine income, education, and occupation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class_in_the_United_States

Based on these constructs, Mr. A. rose from working class to upper-middle class. I clambered from middle-middle to upper-middle.

But both of us have always considered ourselves to be at least as good as anybody. :dance:
Thanks for the link! The issues you raise, are why I decided to let everyone decide on what class they are in, for themselves. I suppose that for some it's almost more of a feeling than an objective categorization.

I voted "Middle middle class" because that is how we live (i.e. modest small home, dine out once a week, both cars > 12 years old, etc.). However, I suspect that based on assets, we are likely "Upper middle class".

-Wino
It's hard to decide, isn't it! But I think that whatever we put is either correct or pretty close to it.

My own income has corresponded to each of those class categories at some time in my life. I voted upper middle because at present that seems most accurate. Amethyst's link says pretty much the same thing in my case.

I chose no class as I like to play hooky. That's what retirement is like ... playing hooky :D.

"Class..... We have no class. In fact, we don't need class. I don't have to show you any stinking class..."

Apologies to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

It's hard to decide, isn't it! But I think that whatever we put is either correct or pretty close to it.

My own income has corresponded to each of those class categories at some time in my life. I voted upper middle because at present that seems most accurate. Amethyst's link says pretty much the same thing in my case.

Yeah, I think it is also influenced by who you associate with. Most of our friends and family fall into the "Lower middle class" to "Middle middle class" range.

No option for gentry?:)

All kidding aside, we're definitely not part of the country club set. I'll go with upper-middle class on the basis that we are comfortably within the upper quintile of wealth for Canada, but in no danger of being confused with one percenters.

anyone have a link where I can find my class?

I didn't see "stuck up country club snob" on the list

I feel equally uncomfortable in any class-conscious situation or gathering, but I love the concept in literature (Fitzgerald, Dominick Dunne, off the top of my head). I know my ancestors a few centuries ago were stable hands to French royalty, so probably above that (the stable hands, not the royalty).

I feel equally uncomfortable in any class-conscious situation or gathering, but I love the concept in literature (Fitzgerald, Dominick Dunne, off the top of my head). I know my ancestors a few centuries ago were stable hands to French royalty, so probably above that (the stable hands, not the royalty).

Although nowadays, I presume, 'stable hands' indicate that one neither drinks heavily nor has Parkinson's?

I always thought I was middle, but the wiki stuff puts me at upper middle, so I too have been advanced in class.

And since I am now upper middle class and the stock market is soaring, I'm gonna enjoy me a forty dollar lunch - :)

Although nowadays, I presume, 'stable hands' indicate that one neither drinks heavily nor has Parkinson's?

Then I AM still a stable hand! Thanks!

Now if only I wasn't scared to death of horses....

As an early retiree I embrace the lower class lifestyle as much as possible, but have upper-middle class assets.

I'm perfectly satisfied living the LBYM and Cheapskate Retirement model, but can stray into the "upper arrogant bastard" mode if coerced. :LOL:

I don't spend any time really thinking about "class" structures to be honest.

_B

Currently employed and upper middle class. This could fall to middle middle class upon retirement depending on the exact definition. Born into working class family.

Last edited:
Not keen on "classes." Some of the best, most interesting people I've known have/had modest assets. And some of the wealthiest people I've known are selfish and obnoxious - and extremely "class" conscious. No thanks. The Millionaire Next Door eloquently spoke to "class" IMO.

Last edited:
Since we get to decide what makes up the class, anyway we want, I guess we should comment why we select one class over the other as best as we can. (Make sense to me anyway)

For me, even though I have zero debt and more than a couple of million in investable assets plus a good bit of money in "other assets", I voted upper middle class (at best). I'm not sure what it would take for me to feel like I'm in the upper classes but I know I don't feel like that now.

I suppose it's upper middle class, based on the numbers. Although if you looked at my lifestyle, you'd assume middle or maybe even lower middle class. Living below my means is a way of life.

p.s. "Upper class" always reminds me of the Upper Class Twit sketch by Monty Python.

Grew up in the middle class, grandparents were in the upper class. I lived my working life entirely in the middle class, but assisting the upper class (some with class, most with minimal class). I'm in the retirement class, but living an upper middle class life now.

I think it would be dishonest to call myself "middle middle" when my single income is over twice the average household income. I may lead a "middle middle" lifestyle for the most part (with splurges like saving towards FIRE), but I don't struggle to maintain that lifestyle or worry about it. So I went with upper middle.

Not keen on "classes." Some of the best, most interesting people I've known have/had modest assets. And some of the wealthiest people I've known are selfish and obnoxious - and extremely "class" conscious. No thanks. The Millionaire Next Door eloquently spoke to "class" IMO.

+1

"Class..... We have no class. In fact, we don't need class. I don't have to show you any stinking class..."

Apologies to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
When I finally saw that we don't need no stinkin badges line in the movie it fotally cracked me up that it was delivered by a bandarillo wearing Mexican "federale" in a huge sombrero.

If you want to know about classes go to the Cunard board on cruise critic . Anyone who does not wear a tuxedo to dinner is low class and if they dare walk around the ship after 6pm in shorts they are pond scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom