Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Invisible

Votes: 77 37.0%
  • Goat Roper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dropped Out

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Oh yeah, as for me, I checked "invisible". I was kind of anti-social in high school (still am to a degree). I had my small core of friends, but never did get into the jock thing or anything geeky. Although I was kinda into computers.

I think the underachiever thing is probably closest for me, though my whole school (small private HS-40 in my graduating class) was a druggie, freak, slacker place with very few high achievers. I just remember thinking that except for the parties, that I hated HS and couldn't wait to get a job, as I equated working and earning money with freedom, and school with being dictated to and told what to do. Rebel. Still can't stand criticism or lack of autonomy in the workplace. At our reunion, the only two really high achievers had quit work (both lawyers) to do the Mommy thing, so I don't know if anyone at our HS will ever be a bright star. Gotta love that private school tuition spent for us all to turn out so poorly (not saying that the Mommy thing is a bad thing), but none of us have set the world on fire, economically speaking. :D

Sarah

The high school football hero , Doctor's only son, cute, popular, went on to a good university and then finished law school, eventually embezzled money from the Federal government. Lost license to practice law. Ended up getting in a variety of trouble. Now he has some crummy job and looks scruffy, I hear. Go figure?
Never know how kids will turn out sometimes.
President of the class, closeted gay with a homophobic mother (this was her very favorite child that the mother lived thru), flunks out of a good university the Sr. year. Goes into comedy, and screams out how gay they are to the world on stage now. Closeted no more, I guess.
There must be a million stories like this.
I read some time ago that you never know how your kid will turn out until they are, at least, 30. I think that's, for the most part, true.

Orchidflower said:
One thing I have noticed over the years when talking to others who underachieved in high school: Most are so embarrassed and disappointed in themselves for not studying and being an underachiever that, once out on their own, at some point they start burning rubber trying to make up the time they lost...and end doing very well then. Am I the only one who has observed this? I know quite a few like this, myself.

I was like this in HS, even though I clicked geek. I was in all honors/ap classes, and without studying much my grades were decent (A/B with the occasional C in math), but I never really worked up to my full potential, and I knew it. I made up for it in college and the real world though.

Orchidflower said:
One thing I have noticed over the years when talking to others who underachieved in high school: Most are so embarrassed and disappointed in themselves for not studying and being an underachiever that, once out on their own, at some point they start burning rubber trying to make up the time they lost...and end doing very well then. Am I the only one who has observed this? I know quite a few like this, myself.
I was a chronic underachiever in grammar school and high school. But I was never embarrassed about being a slacker and goof off - to the contrary I gloried in it. Maybe that was a bit of self defense against failure. I overcompensated throughout my work life and no one would have pegged me for a slacker -- but it took a constant effort. Late in my career I got diagnosed with ADD which may explain some of it, although I think that is a bit of a crutch.

I do have one good story that illustrates my HS experience. In 50s and 60s schools in Chicago schools were on the semester system. I took physics 1 in the fall of my junior year and failed (lousy graphs, missed too many classes, etc). But physics 2 could be taken ahead of Physics 1 so I continued with the rest of my class in the spring physics 2 class. The new teacher gave us a final from physics 1 just to see what we had learned. I asked if I should take it since I flunked and he said, sure, go ahead. You guessed it -- I got the highest score in the class. Unfortunately, picking up subjects through osmosis didn't work so well in college so I switched from chemistry to psychology where my BS talents were a better fit.

I was a "brain" in the early 70's when it didn't make you popular, but it did confer an element of wary respect. Was also very involved in student government.

Haven't changed much in 35 years, except I have a lot more friends now. ;)

Sports for me. Lots of sports. Kept me busy and usually out of trouble (although it managed to find me anyhow). Did my school work and did just fine in that regard, worked to make some money, partied my share, but really, for me sports was it.

I feel much better about my history after reading this thread. I thought I was the only underachiever to end up really acing life after school.

Didn't finish high school, was a geek/invisible, and never went to college. I let the mentality that I was headed nowhere because I didn't finish HS and go to college drag me down for a few very unproductive years. I got with the "program" in my mid 20s, worked harder than my peers and I'm FIRE at 39, with my retirement date set for March 1, 2008. I think about how much more I could have achieved (or at least achieved sooner).... genius level IQ, very good with computers (ultra-geek level), Internet-savvy before there was even such thing as a web-browser and mostly out-going. But I guess I can't complain since I'm leaving the treadmill at 39. :)

I'm now in the process of getting my GED and plan to go to college to learn and enrich my life rather than seeking skills for a career. Funny thing is I never wanted a GED or degree after I started achieving... it was almost a badge of pride that I managed to overcome things my working peers took for granted (for instance, its very socially awkward to be surrounded by geeks in corporate IT when the conversation turns to "so, where did you get your degree?")

Now its important to get the GED and degree for >>me<< and no one else.

Am I catching the same song here from a number of people:
high i.q., higher than average risktaker, too busy into their heads to do well in high school, highly individualistic and so forth? Verrrrrry interesting, folks.
Bill Gates could be one of us. Warren Buffet probably not.

Please do tell what a "goat roper" is.

Cross between jockette & geek here....

Guess I'm a little different than the underachiever who found himself after high school and did very well later in life. My family moved across the country after my freshman year in high school, and since I don't make new friends that easily, I just focused on school work in my new school and did very well academically (if not socially). High school grades got me into a good college (with a scholarship) where I also did well academically and ended up with pretty much the job I was looking for (govt). College was a lot more fun for me than high school.......worked hard, but played hard, too, and made a lot of great friends, some of whom I still keep in touch with today.

I'll retire in 3 years from this govt. job at age 55. By the way, I marked myself as a "geek", but "invisible" would have been an equally good choice.

I lived for Sports!! School was a necessary evil. As long as I got passing grades and didn't get into trouble in school, the "World" was a perfect place.

I grew up, in a small town, of 500 people. Thirteen,-- in my graduating class!
5, of us attended college. 3 graduated with degrees. This was in the late fifties.

I didn't acknowledge the importance of expanding one's knowledge and striving for some higher goal and I was never encouraged to strive for excellence and pursuit of any career avenues, beyond high school. My parents, never discussed college with me,- until after I graduated. I frankly, had never thought about it!

Wish, I had the opportunity to do it all over!

I discovered "Girls," my Sophomore year. Mostly, from outta town, cuz the hometown girls were UGGLY! Never went beyond, "Punch and Tickle." :LOL: Too afraid of what parents and local gossip would say. But,- there were some good times!!!

I could have been better,-- in my adult life! I could have prepared better during my formative years, If, I had known then, what I know now!

Now,-- I'm retired. Gave 40 years, working for the sake of working. Never, really sure, that the avenue I chose, was the right one. Can't change it now!

Married a lovely woman. Don't owe anyone a dime. Have money in the bank!

And, I am retired!!

rmark said:
Cowboy who ain't actually got no cows. Wannabe cowboy.

Bingo! I think I may have overgeneralized when I suggested this category. They were a dime-a-dozen in Texas when I grew up in the 70s an 80s, evidently they were not quit so numerous in the rest of the county, given they are polling at zero. Either that, or they are the worst investors on the planet.

gandalf42 said:
For young folks you would have to include Goths and Skaters.

Based on my experience with my son's friends, the skaters are todays heads/freaks/burnout group. Watch Dogtown and Z-Boys if you want to know what I mean.

Band member; marching, concert, stage band, orchestra, choir band, special events, etc.

French club (30 girls..2 guys..need I say more?)

Not a jock.
Not a geek.

Popular but not part of the "in crowd".

Could drink just about anybody under the table. ;)Was the designated driver after a night on the town (well, sneaked drinks from a friends dad's bar or the local bootlegger). 8)

None of the above. I was a "troll" -- Caltech slang for someone who studies too much.

I was very invisible. I have run into several people I went to high school with, but only one remembered me. I worked closely with a woman I sat next to in Algebra, but she didn't remember me at all. Even a year later when I left the job she didn't remember me from school.

Part of the issue was, in middle school, I was routinely berated/chastised/yelled at and called stupid because I would bring home a report card with a C on it, even though I managed to still maintain a 3.2 GPA. By the time I was in high school I had given up on school. I didn't try and never did homework, but still managed to graduate with a 2.9 GPA. I would go to class sit in the back of the room and keep to myself. The only complaint I ever had from teachers was that I didn't try.

I was a Cheerleader-Nerd, if you can believe it. I was part of the in-crowd, but felt 'out' 'cause I've never been a joiner. I liked all the 'strays'... I dated Jock-Nerds. :D

Was active in student government, made the honor rolls, loved to study, was good at art and languages and wanted to be a corporate librarian or a museum curator on the east coast. Had absolutely no career or college guidance whatsoever.

Went to college, partied hearty, studied even heartier, got distracted and moved to California. Went to college there too. Got distracted and married Billy. Had a fulfilling career, got distracted and retired at age 38. 8) I sort of rolled with the punches and made use of my hunches like Jimmy Buffett's song Cowboy in the Jungle.

Life just keeps getting better.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

I was invisible in HS.

inside I was saying "yeah, I'm not cool now, but wait..... I'll be cool, someday". My someday did arrive. After college, got a good job, I bought a nice house at 24. Amazing how, having a nice house changes things. Quite a difference really between being 17 and being 24 with a nice house. The object, of course, is girls. Girls at 17 are different than girls at 22. Getting a good job, with a good future really DOES change things.

Can't complain. Inequities seem to even out over the long run.

Jock: I lettered in 3 sports. Spent most of my days in the gym. Got away with almost anything. Dated cheerleaders. And was the kid that moms oohed and aahed about.

Burn-out / Freak / Druggie: Did my share of experimentation. Had friends in rock bands. Fake ID's allowed us access to clubs on Sunset Strip. Dated druggies. And was the kid that moms oohed and aahed about.

Drop out: Spent sophmore year playing backgammon. Spent junior year playing poker. Spent senior year playing hookie. "Graduated" with a GPA below mandated requirements...see Jock. And was the kid that moms oohed and aahed about.

Class clown: ...well you get the picture. And was the kid that moms oohed and aahed about.

Somehow all of that prepared me for 2 undergraduate degrees, a masters degree, and a captain of industry...go figure? Oh yea...moms still ooh and aah only for different reasons now :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom