Poll: Which iPhone Do You Have?

iPhone Owners Only: Which Gen Do You Have?

• XS/XS Max/XR

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 8/8 Plus/X

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • 7/7 Plus

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • 6S/6S Plus/SE

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • 6/6 Plus

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • 5S

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • 5/5C

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 4S

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Older iPhone

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
SE and I plan to keep it for awhile longer. It fits in my pocket.

I have an iPhone SE also, I love the size. I bought the original Se as soon as it came out and then bought another one when they increased from 64 to 128. I just bought an XS and hope I can adapt to the larger size.

iPhone X.

The iPhone XS Max is tempting, but I’d need to see it in person. The dual-sim feature would be convenient. Right now I have an old Motorola flip phone that I use to manage an international phone number. It’d be great to consolidate that into a single device.

The 5S was the last of the sensibly sized phones, Apple or any Other for that matter.

The SE is the same size as the 5S. I really like mine. Partly because of the size and partly because it was such a great deal. $150 for the SE compared with 3 or 4 times that for the bigger-but-otherwise-identical-6s.

Still using the iPhone 6 I was issued with by a previous employer. Will replace when it breaks down as I see no need to trade up.

When I left my last company I asked about whether I could keep my one-year old Phone 4 that they'd issued to me. Yeah, they said- for $500. I turned down that deal and lasted one or two days without a phone before heading to the store and buying my 5c outright for $550. I could use little more storage but other than that I'm a happy camper- and I've saved a fortune compared to the cost of frequent upgrades with new 2-year contracts. I use Ting instead.

I still have a 4 - my first smartphone & I really like it - but need a new one since the OS doesn't support many apps I want. Does it make sense to get a 6? That seems closest to the features of the 4 that I like, & seems to be a popular model. But how long will it be till the 6 is obsolete?

I keep my old ones and so does my DW and since we alternative upgrade years, I have a collection of all the iPhones.

And my iPhone [original] still runs. It's fun to power it up every year or so to remember how things have changed.

I also got an iPhone SE after they came out sticking with the smaller configuration. I had inherited my husband’s old iPhone 5, but it was on the wrong carrier. I tried to get an iPhone 5S, but somehow things went wrong with the configuration, and not having an Apple store anywhere close, I couldn’t get it going even with phone support. I returned it, and then was glad because I really would have wanted the SE instead.

DH got an iPhone 6 a few years ago, switching to a new carrier. And then an iPhone X last year. Several things, but mostly the 2 lens camera and OLED screen promoted his upgrade.

Last edited:
I still have a 4 - my first smartphone & I really like it - but need a new one since the OS doesn't support many apps I want. Does it make sense to get a 6? That seems closest to the features of the 4 that I like, & seems to be a popular model. But how long will it be till the 6 is obsolete?

I don't think Apple is still selling the 6.

But the 7 starts at $449 and has a much better camera and much faster processor chip.

we have a 5S and an SE - if either of them dies, I'm really not sure what we'll do. I've been migrating all of my computer purchases to a price range that I find comfortable. I've got a 15" laptop for $199, my last desktop project was too expensive for me, but I'm running linux on it so the $500 including small case was an affordable compromise. iPad was $300. I just can't justify $600+ for a phone any more!

I am tempted to snag a remaining SE or two out of inventory, but I fear they will end up running old iOS version and become horribly inefficient. I guess I'll end up going back to Android...

...Several things, but most say the 2 lens camera...

I took this panorama with my iPhone X a couple of days ago (at The Wilds in Ohio). Pretty good I thought. The iPhone X camera is exceptional.

Attachments

• IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 18
Saw this & thought it was relevant...still not paying a grand for a new phone. :cool:

The twitter poster said: “I did a thing to convince myself the iPHone XS Max 512 GB wasn’t so expensive.”

Attachments

• 878D6535-2ED1-4FF5-9520-0E49D819D0CB.jpeg
    878D6535-2ED1-4FF5-9520-0E49D819D0CB.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 60
DH and I both have the iPhone 6. Prior to that I had a 4S and he had a 4. We tend to keep our phones for several years. We are contemplating springing for new phones next year. His has had some issues and will likely need to be replaced at some point. He's perfectly happy getting a 7, but I'd probably go for the newer model because if I'm going to keep it for awhile I want one that will last several years before it becomes obsolete.

I'm not crazy about spending a grand for a new phone - that seems excessive. I might just wait until I "have" to upgrade before I do. Maybe by then there will be some refurbished newer models available. You can currently get a refurbished 7 for $379 on the Apple refurbished site but there weren't any of the 8 models when I last looked.

We got an offer for a 18 month 0% promo interest rate from Capital One yesterday...sure is tempting but my practical nature will hopefully prevail!

My wife uses an iPhone 4 and seems to like it. What do newer iPhones do that would make worth upgrading?

< ---- iPhone 6 which I obtained on day 1 of release to replace my BlackBerry Bold. And my iPhone 6 has no tactile keyboard :LOL:

When the newer iPhone does something that I need it to do that the iPhone 6 won't, then I'll consider ....

Rich

I have an IPhone 6 but I can’t vote more than once, I bought it when I retired, which is late 2015 and early 2016. Still going, but I have less use for my phone. Kids and relatives will text most of the time. We block anonymous callers. The real true use for it is when my husband and I are in Costco and we need to locate the other person so we can check out together. Downshift to Consumer Cellular plan, so far it has been working great. I would upgrade iPad but not iPhone because I do use the camera from the iPad a lot. It beats carrying a huge bulky camera on my travel.

I have a 4S which I bought for my wife in 2012 for $100. Last year she upgraded to an 8 Plus and I got it. Replaced the battery. Use my iPad for most things. Kids and GCs all on Facetime.

My wife uses an iPhone 4 and seems to like it. What do newer iPhones do that would make worth upgrading?

I am going to compare to my current phone (iPhone X) and the phone I am getting next week (iPhone XS Max)

Larger screen - iPhone 4 has a 3.5" screen. iPhone X is 5.8 in. iPhone XS Max is 6.5 in. I have an iPad Pro and I am going to sell it because I've determined that I no longer need both an iPad and an iPhone.

Much longer battery life - iPhone 4 (new) is 14 hours. iPhone X is 21 hour. iPhone XS Max is an hour and a half longer. Also with an iPhone 4 I would expect the health of the battery is probably pretty degraded.

Screen resolution - iPhone 4 is 960 x 640. iPhone X and XS Max are 2436 x 1125

Display type - iPhone 4 is LCD. X and XS Max are OLED

Waterproof - iPhone 4 is not. XS Max is (to a point).

NFC support - no on iPhone 4 - Yes on iPhone X and XS Max

Camera -- much much better on iPhone X and XS Max. Rear camera and
front camera resolution on iPhone 4 is 5 MP. On iPhone X it is 12 and 7.

SIM card - Note that new iPhone XS and XS Max will be able to have 2 SIM cards. I don't need it but some people do.

Broadband - iPhone 4 is 3G and iPhone X and XS Max are 4G. This is a big deal for anyone who uses there phone for things other than talking on the phone. Interestingly, I just found out that Verizon won't let you activate a new phone on their network that is not 4G. We had a small flip phone we had taken off the network a few months ago that was 3G. We wanted to put it back on. We couldn't because it is not 4G. The point is that if you were to change cell carriers you might not be able to activate an iPhone 4 on some networks.

Apps - Lots and lots of apps won't work on an iPhone 4. You can't upgrade to iOS 12. There lots of features that you can't get on an iPhone 4. You can't get Face ID, etc.

Now - if you don't care about any of the smartphone features of your phone and just want something to be a phone then there may not be a reason to upgrade. Wait until the battery dies and then replace it, maybe with an Android phone. There is absolutely no reason to pay the cost of an iPhone if you aren't going to use the smartphone features of an iPhone.

Went from a 5S to a 7Plus earlier in the year because the 5 was acting up and now have it for a back up in the event the 7 goes bonkers. Note I am hard on iPhones.

I'm not, and my 5S got to be almost impossible to use for actual phone calls due to abysmal sound reproduction/transmission in either direction.
I still use a 5s; I’m not paying a grand for new phone. :nonono:
I kept my 5S for about a year longer than I wanted to, for the same reason; the new models cost more than I was willing to pay.

After hearing me complain about my phone on the forum 10000x, REWahoo mentioned Cricket Wireless. I discovered that Cricket would give me a perfectly good LG smartphone for free, just for porting my number over there from Verizon (which I wanted to do anyway). Also they gave me a $30 plan with unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 2GB data, which met my needs beautifully. Sound reproduction is wonderful on my LG phone. My iPhone sound was comparatively tinny sounding even at its best (when new), and never provided the LG's rich sound with beautiful overtones.

For me that plan and phone were a good fit, although that may not be true for others with different needs and wants. If you need an iPhone, you need an iPhone (I don't). Anyway, I'm suggesting you may need to think out of the box in some way in order to solve the price issues. Maybe an older refurb iPhone, another brand of phone, or some such thing would work for you.

I have an 8 only because my purse containing my 6 was stolen last December. Had it not been stolen, I probably would be upgrading now to either an 8 or X. I generally upgrade every 3 years or so. DH and DD have SEs and DS has a 6 with a horribly mangled screen but it still works so he's keeping it.

I justified the price of an iPhone X last year based on the camera. I used to carry a DSLR, but was tired of having to carry around a camera and then deal with pictures on a separate device. Plus, I wanted to location tag my photos, which wasn’t as easy with the camera.

With an iPhone, all of those problems are solved. It’s also very easy to share photos and with iCloud Photo Library, all my photos are backed up and available on all my devices.

I think this is where Apple really excels. The do a great a job providing end to end solutions. I know it’s not for everyone, but at this point in my life, I’m more than happy to give up control if it makes my life easier.

DS has been waiting to upgrade but is totally disappointed with the new iPhone offerings. I agree with previous posters that until they come up with something that I need that my 7P doesn't do then I am quite happy. DW got my old 6P and and I can't really appreciate any functional difference between them except dual lens on 7P which is not a big deal. DD has an SE mainly for the size. She held onto here Blackberry Bold for years before switching.

Bought 7 in 2017 when retired and had to turn in company phone. Will keep it as long as it functions efficiently.

Back
Top Bottom