Poll: Why retire early?

Why Retire Early?

• Dissatisfaction with work. (e.g. boss, commute, politics, boredom)

Votes: 230 51.6%
  • Desire to pursue leisure activities (e.g. travel, sports, hobbies)

Votes: 273 61.2%
  • Desire to work in a different capacity (e.g. volunteer, small business, part-time)

Votes: 69 15.5%
  • Desire to spend more time with family, friends and loved ones

Votes: 146 32.7%
  • Desire to care for a loved one with health issues

Votes: 25 5.6%
  • Your health (poor health or desire to become healthier)

Votes: 78 17.5%
  • Freedom to pursue your love of art, music, and/or culture

Votes: 73 16.4%
  • Freedom to live in a different place

Votes: 86 19.3%
  • Ability to live a quiet, tranquil and reflective life

Votes: 176 39.5%
  • Other

Votes: 47 10.5%

• Total voters
I didn't mind the work too much, but it's all about the dissatisfiers.

And then I learned how to surf...

I voted the Hat Trick (hockey terminology for 3 goals in 1 game).

Dissatisfaction with w*rk,
my Health (desire to be healthier - carpal tunnel and upper body RSI), and
the Ability to live quiet, tranquil etc. life

When I look at photos taken of me when I was w*rking, compared to postFIRE photos, I am utterly amazed at the difference. I actually look young again. :D
I did the same before/after comparison for Mr B. Identical results. :D

Scientists have said that stress ages us, some even prematurely. Free radicals and all that stuff. When you remove the stress, you remove the cause of the premature aging. Combine this with better maintenance (e.g., more sleep, physical fitness, better diet) you can actually reverse the signs of aging somewhat (give or take 5-10 years).

For me the reasons are:
Dissatisfaction with work. (e.g. boss, commute, politics, boredom)
Desire to pursue leisure activities (e.g. travel, sports, hobbies)
Desire to spend more time with family, friends and loved ones

I remember my Aunt coming to visit me shortly after retiring, she kept talking about being on vacation.. we had to keep reminder her that she was retired, and on a permanent vacation!

I've been working since the age of 15, and dreaming of the day (August 31st, 2012) when I will be on a permanent vacation just like her.

I was layed off at age 49. Neither she nor I wanted to leave New Orleans for the sake of equivalent employment.

Got down with my cheap, bad self and discovered I could live with savings/investments. Toss in about 1 yr of temp work and then she retired also.

Jan. 1, 1993 ended full time employment.

Heh heh heh - Was a 'sheepish' unemployed until age 55 early small pension check and then and then stumbled across this forum surfing with my Webtv.

Been a 'high class ER' ever since. :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :cool:

I loved what my work used to be. Now it is full of BS, MC politics, mind-numbing meetings, and inefficiencies.

I saw a couple times where people were going to retire but just before, they either died or came down with a illness that severely affected their life. I did not want that to happen to me. Things like, no one on their death bed said I wish I would have worked more, started making a lot more sense. Then I think someone here shared that if you’re around 55/60, you really only have about 20 good summers left to enjoy. These things and wanting to have some impact on my grand children’s lives, made the difference. What made it possible was the blessing of a good, well paying job and a frugal mindset.

I voted for the desire to spend more time with family, but I also wish to pursue other activities.

Interesting, looking over a 7 year old thread to see if people still feel the same way today.

I saw a couple times where people were going to retire but just before, they either died or came down with a illness that severely affected their life. I did not want that to happen to me. Things like, no one on their death bed said I wish I would have worked more, started making a lot more sense. Then I think someone here shared that if you’re around 55/60, you really only have about 20 good summers left to enjoy. These things and wanting to have some impact on my grand children’s lives, made the difference. What made it possible was the blessing of a good, well paying job and a frugal mindset.

What a great post. Really clarifying and confirming for my decision to retire in March.

On other threads, I've posted that DW has moderate health issues that won't improve with age. Also posted that a guy in my age group left his cube (3 rows from mine) in an ambulance and died before he got to the hospital.

While I kinda like most of my job, the corp BS was wearing me down. That, and the aforementioned convinced me to pack in in. Didn't want to be flotsam or jetsam; just wanted off the ship.

the government told me to stop working ( and now pay me to stay away )

it seems i was a stress risk to co-workers ( potential collapses on the job can do that )

Was tired of working, didn't need the $, wanted more time for my interests incl. travel.

Work had become literally painful. I couldn’t sit for 8-12 hours per day in front of a computer screen, listening to endless conference calls. Had to get out for my health, physical and mental.

Getting close to FIRE .....

big corporate MegaCorp work environment basically sapped the joy out of what used to be an interesting job.

That plus, I find my overall health was being sacrificed staying on the job ....
* sedentary lifestyle due to sitting in an office and in meetings > 8 hrs/day
* spending the best parts of each day inside a big office building ... breathing the stale air as the commercial carpeting and furniture are outgassing all day.
* sitting in a car for 2hrs/day commuting. Not only unhealthy, and a waste of time but, sooner or later I could get into a bad accident dealing with aggressive rush-hour traffic
* my stress level is high, leading to poor lifestyle choices .... eating badly, drinking too much in the evening to help "decompress", lack of exercise,
* the best part of my work day is given to MegaCorp. My family gets the leftovers of my time .... when I'm tired and in a bad mood after work. This is significant being 5 days a week.

I find that after a 2 week vacation this summer I felt great, slept better, health problem symptoms reduced (back pain, headaches, poor energy level). and my drinking went way down. It was a teaser for retirement.

Of course the day I went back to work was a sh!t storm, with status meetings, faux crises, and being inundated with email demands. Sigh ....

Getting close to FIRE .....

big corporate MegaCorp work environment basically sapped the joy out of what used to be an interesting job.

That plus, I find my overall health was being sacrificed staying on the job ....
* sedentary lifestyle due to sitting in an office and in meetings > 8 hrs/day
* spending the best parts of each day inside a big office building ... breathing the stale air as the commercial carpeting and furniture are outgassing all day.
* sitting in a car for 2hrs/day commuting. Not only unhealthy, and a waste of time but, sooner or later I could get into a bad accident dealing with aggressive rush-hour traffic
* my stress level is high, leading to poor lifestyle choices .... eating badly, drinking too much in the evening to help "decompress", lack of exercise,
* the best part of my work day is given to MegaCorp. My family gets the leftovers of my time .... when I'm tired and in a bad mood after work. This is significant being 5 days a week.

I find that after a 2 week vacation this summer I felt great, slept better, health problem symptoms reduced (back pain, headaches, poor energy level). and my drinking went way down. It was a teaser for retirement.

Of course the day I went back to work was a sh!t storm, with status meetings, faux crises, and being inundated with email demands. Sigh ....

Hey, quit living my life!

Had to vote "other". Not every ER is voluntary. RE wasn't my idea; I [-]loved[/-] 'was' my job.

Company was sold and I was part of the "redundant team". Did receive a double platinum parachute however.

Despite a stellar resume, no one was interested in a 52 year old. Quite unfairly, they assumed I just was some rich guy who only wanted to take clients golfing for the next 10 years at a high salary. Then, 2008 and....

Never got another job. Not that I needed one! Never even got a serious interview.

A blessing. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Last edited:

That may have been me.

I've mentioned here a few times the story how DW and I were sitting at a bar waiting for our table. Some older guy started talking with us.

He asked how old I was. "So you're 60? Do you realize that even if you live to be 90, you've only got 15 or 18 good summers left? Twenty at best. After that it's downhill and all you want to do is watch TV"

It was like this guy was some angel sent to give me a message. (and apparently some others). Made a huge impact on me; even though I was already RE'd 8 years.

Back
Top Bottom