Portugal 2020!

We did Viking Lisbon to Lisbon in 2015... Please try:
Bacalhau, which translates to cod in English, is Portugal's national dish, a symbol of the country's identity, and one of the most popular foods in restaurants across the country. Bacalhau is such a go-to staple in Portuguese cuisine that it even has an endearing nickname: fiel amigo, or faithful friend.

It was wonderful and we still make it at home today. Love Salt Cod.

Thanks. I was looking for schedule. And I identified the bus stop I need to be at. Apparently, the private bus services like FlixBus and Rede Espresso do not provide that service. It seems to be more of a large area service such as offered by a regional transit authority. I was caught by surprise since between the train service and the above bus services, virtually everywhere I thought I might travel had been well covered.

But, there are surprises when one travels. Which suggests another thread topic. ;)

:popcorn:

Last edited:
The train station at Obidos is about a 1KM hike up, or down, a hill. The station looks all but deserted.

The train station at Nazare is 3KM from the beach area. We took the bus from Coimbra to Nazare, and again to Lisbon train station to catch the train to Algarve.

I am finding that buses are often a better choice. They are quicker with fewer stops and few transfer requirements. The train is cheaper especially with the senior discount. However neither bus nor train is expensive.

The last trip to Madeira and the mainland was our third trip to Portugal.

Previously we always has rental cars. Often one way...pick up in Faro/drop as we went into Lisbon. One of our best car rental trips was a week into the Douro Valley staying a small, out the the way places.

This last time we had a list of places we wanted to go.

As it turned out it made sense to use public transport. Lisbon-Evora-Obidos-Coimbra-Nazare (instead of Lisbon) -Alvor-Lagos-Tevira-Faro. We had planned on renting a car for a few days but we never felt the need or the desire. Most of our train and accommodation reservations were only made one or two days in advance.

We really enjoy travel in Portugal. We find the people much more friendly than in Spain. Not certain why that is.

Last edited:
Bus travel between cities in Spain was great. We were quite impressed - large comfy, AC even. Image it’s the same in Portugal?

Bus travel between cities in Spain was great. We were quite impressed - large comfy, AC even. Image it’s the same in Portugal?

Yes.

But...we only bussed from Coimbra-Nazare-Lisbon and Alvor-Lagos. All three bus trips were fine. Short trips.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom