Post FIRE

Gardening, reading, going for walks with DH and pooch, time with kids and grands, dinners out with siblings, time with former work friends, planning a trip here and there, cooking, etc.....really anything I want to do!

10 years retired

I posted this previously, but I think it is appropriate to post it again:

[FONT=&quot]It has been an exciting 10 years, partly due to my new wife.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She said she wanted to travel, to see things she had only dreamed about. Our first trip together was to Tahiti, which she had dreamed about from the age of 17. In fact, we were married on the island of Santorini, Greece while on another cruise. Well, after 51 trips, 17 cruises and 500 travel days, our bucket list is just about complete.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We recently upgraded our cars from a 1998 and 2003 to a 2017 and 2016. Being FI, we paid cash for both cars. NO car payments.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Other than traveling, you might ask what I have done to fill the time. I renewed my pilot’s license, and dedicated myself to flying for 2 charitable organizations. The main one is Angel Flight West, flying patients to and from their appointments in distant cities. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This gives the patients the opportunity to receive advanced treatment at no transportation cost to them. Some of the patients have conditions so rare I have to Google the condition to just to see what it was. The other is Pilots n’ Paws, flying rescued animals to new forever homes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have accumulated over 400 hours doing these flights, paying for them out of my own pocket,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For fun, I have also had the opportunity to pilot a Korean War MiG-15 jet as well as three WW2 aircraft, an SNJ trainer, a B-25 bomber, and to celebrate my 80th birthday, a P-51 Mustang. I also joined the United Flying Octogenarians which is an organization for pilots over 80.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Recently I started volunteering at a local Hospice repairing their wheelchairs and walkers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I also volunteer for a local railroad society and act as a car attendant on a local tourist railroad, helping passengers get on and off the cars and punching tickets. I am also in the process of restoring a 23 Ton switch engine, which is almost as old as me, but I am in better shape.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As you can see, I have been busy and productive for the past 10 years of retirement, and it has made me a happy man.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. At what age you retired? It seems you guys almost travelled the whole world now :)

I plan to retire by 45 (34 now). Any advise for me? :)

Morning workouts, bike rides, hikes, kayaking, woodworking, landscape & wildlife photo excursions, house and grounds maintenance, travel (mainly US), and sitting in recliner watching tv and surfing the net.

Thanks for the reply. At what age you retired? It seems you guys almost travelled the whole world now :)

I plan to retire by 45 (34 now). Any advise for me? :)
I was a late retiree. I had to keep w*king to keep my health insurance for my late wife, who was brain injured.
I retired at 69, and as my son recently said, I have plenty of tread left.:)

Whatever I damn well please.

That's been medical crap lately but before that:

Hiking in a few million acres of nothing. Going to the gym and local hot springs.
Fishing in great trout streams and lakes.
Hanging out with two little dogs and DW.
Snowshoeing in the snowy months.

Anything I want to do! Recently, those things include: vegetable gardening; yard work; fishing; kayaking; boating; walking with my dog; working out; cooking great meals; playing on the internet + doing internet research on a host of topics; reading; hanging out with my 2 grandsons; making beer; making wine; foraging for wild foods; archery hunting for deer; heading south for the winter to our snowbird destination; doing LOTS of kayaking and fishing down there; home maintenance/repair projects; and on, and on.

I retired at age 54.5 (nearly 10 years ago now). Have never been bored since then. But, I gave a lot of thought before I retired as to how I would spend my time in retirement, which I think is important. If you are going to retire at 45, that's great - but make sure you have at least a rough idea how you would like to spend your time in retirement. It's a different phase of life, and needs to be treated that way. If your identity is still wrapped up in what you did for a job/career, you may have a rough transition into retirement. If, on the other hand, you are more than ready to start a new chapter in life, completely apart from whatever you did for a living, then by all means go for it (assuming the financial part is taken care of).

Well I haven’t retired yet and my DW is much younger than I am and she’ll probably want to work for a while after I quit. I’m 45 and I’m thinking about retiring somewhere in the 50-52 year old range.

As for what we will do, we’ve been talking about buying an RV and living in it full time at least for a while so we can travel and see the country. It’s exciting but it can be expensive to buy the RV and prepare to hit the road. One or both of us actually hopes to be able to continue to do remote work while on the road.

I think the point isn’t exactly what you will do in retirement. The idea is you will have the freedom to do as little or as much as you want to do. That freedom more than any specific plan is the appeal of retirement.

Anything I want to do! Recently, those things include: vegetable gardening; yard work; fishing; kayaking; boating; walking with my dog; working out; cooking great meals; playing on the internet + doing internet research on a host of topics; reading; hanging out with my 2 grandsons; making beer; making wine; foraging for wild foods; archery hunting for deer; heading south for the winter to our snowbird destination; doing LOTS of kayaking and fishing down there; home maintenance/repair projects; and on, and on.

I retired at age 54.5 (nearly 10 years ago now). Have never been bored since then. But, I gave a lot of thought before I retired as to how I would spend my time in retirement, which I think is important. If you are going to retire at 45, that's great - but make sure you have at least a rough idea how you would like to spend your time in retirement. It's a different phase of life, and needs to be treated that way. If your identity is still wrapped up in what you did for a job/career, you may have a rough transition into retirement. If, on the other hand, you are more than ready to start a new chapter in life, completely apart from whatever you did for a living, then by all means go for it (assuming the financial part is taken care of).

Thanks. And you are right on thinking about what to do after retirement. Something I am keeping in mind and one of the reason to start this thread

Thanks for your inputs

Well I haven’t retired yet and my DW is much younger than I am and she’ll probably want to work for a while after I quit. I’m 45 and I’m thinking about retiring somewhere in the 50-52 year old range.

As for what we will do, we’ve been talking about buying an RV and living in it full time at least for a while so we can travel and see the country. It’s exciting but it can be expensive to buy the RV and prepare to hit the road. One or both of us actually hopes to be able to continue to do remote work while on the road.

I think the point isn’t exactly what you will do in retirement. The idea is you will have the freedom to do as little or as much as you want to do. That freedom more than any specific plan is the appeal of retirement.

"The idea is you will have the freedom to do as little or as much as you want to do. That freedom more than any specific plan is the appeal of retirement"

Very well said. "Freedom" is what we are all eyeing for here

Never having that little pang in my stomach on Sunday night that weeps sadness for the next day, week. Looking into the past year and ahead with excitement. I recall it like June when I was in grade school. Summer vacation forever.

I logged 317 days last year being in the outdoors hunting, fishing, trapping and hiking. I work on projects at the ranch and do what ever work needs to be done at my home. The 3 years I have been retired has went so fast, it is hard to believe I been retired 3 years.

I logged 317 days last year being in the outdoors hunting, fishing, trapping and hiking. I work on projects at the ranch and do what ever work needs to be done at my home. The 3 years I have been retired has went so fast, it is hard to believe I been retired 3 years.
Retired 2.5 years. I think that coming to grips with the 'I'll get around to that when I have more time' stuff.
You know broken stuff you've been meaning to fix, stuff you thought you'd cleanup and sell someday, deferred home and yard maintenance and multiple antique cars (needing continual maintenance).

Seems after early retirement you still procrastinate :)

Retired 2.5 years. I think that coming to grips with the 'I'll get around to that when I have more time' stuff.
You know broken stuff you've been meaning to fix, stuff you thought you'd cleanup and sell someday, deferred home and yard maintenance and multiple antique cars (needing continual maintenance).

Seems after early retirement you still procrastinate :)

:) My only motivation even to retire was to spent time with my little one (or may be another one when we decide to have one). She is also little "delayed" on speech and development side.

Thing is I am still loosing a lot of time being in this corporate culture and when I say I retire at 45, my little one will be 12-13 yrs. I hate this idea that I am not with her RIGHT NOW, when I think she needs both of us with her.

Anyways, my wife has already left her job to be with our daughter. Happy in a way to know that my passive income was enough that one person could leave their job and be with little one.

Just venting out :-D

I have been FIREd for 9 years and the way I spend my free time keeps changing. At the moment, my life revolves around renovating my condo, tending my vegetable garden, hiking in the Alps, and socializing with friends and family. Future projects (for 2020 and beyond) include building an off-grid cabin in the mountains, taking some road trips across Western Europe, and buying a mountain bike to go on rides with friends.

Retired at 40 and am about 5 years into this adventure. When I did retire, I didn't have anything specific in mind, but just to relax and take it a day at a time. For the most part, I did that and continue to do so. There have been some adventures along the way (law school for 3 years was the biggest adventure but really wasn't all that time consuming) but lots and LOTS of relaxation.

We do some traveling but the Air Force did a great job of seeing that I explored many corners of the world, so travel isn't too high on the priority list and since our home is our oasis, I am quite content hanging out by the pool.

Each day is an adventure and I have yet to find myself bored. As a matter of fact, I often wake up and eventually come up with some stuff I would like to do for the day but usually go to bed with only getting half (or less) of it done. But, that is OK in my book. :)

I have been FIREd for 9 years and the way I spend my free time keeps changing. At the moment, my life revolves around renovating my condo, tending my vegetable garden, hiking in the Alps, and socializing with friends and family. Future projects (for 2020 and beyond) include building an off-grid cabin in the mountains, taking some road trips across Western Europe, and buying a mountain bike to go on rides with friends.

"45 years old. Exited the job market in 2010 (age 36). Have lived solely off my investments since 2015 (age 41).
Current AA: real estate 30% / cash 70%
Current WR: < 2%"

This is awesome. My most passive income (70%) is from real estate, and rest is cash/emergency funds.

Just spending few more years to generate RRSP (excellent contribution from my employer) plus RESP for kiddo....

Hopefully on track but you my friend is awesome

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom