Post FIRE

Retired at 40 and am about 5 years into this adventure. When I did retire, I didn't have anything specific in mind, but just to relax and take it a day at a time. For the most part, I did that and continue to do so. There have been some adventures along the way (law school for 3 years was the biggest adventure but really wasn't all that time consuming) but lots and LOTS of relaxation.

We do some traveling but the Air Force did a great job of seeing that I explored many corners of the world, so travel isn't too high on the priority list and since our home is our oasis, I am quite content hanging out by the pool.

Each day is an adventure and I have yet to find myself bored. As a matter of fact, I often wake up and eventually come up with some stuff I would like to do for the day but usually go to bed with only getting half (or less) of it done. But, that is OK in my book. :)

Thanks. And yup, it does look that it would be one day a time adventure and how things will unfold.

So I was wondering....

What are you doing after retirement?

TIA

Well, let's see how brief I can be:

2012 - Quit our jobs, got rid of everything that wouldn't fit into our 67 VW bus and drove south through Mexico. Travelled for 190days.
Most importantly...Found Ourselves.

2013 - Travelled for 120days driving the rest of Mexico/Central America, flew home and fell in love with Portland all over again, designed/built a teardrop trailer to camp/travel in, taught myself to weld and made some furniture to fill the place we rented.

2014 - Traveled over 90days, created a home base by transforming our garage into a "loft" for us to live in when not traveling, and started a business/side hustle.

2015 - Travelled 114days driving from Central America back to Oregon (including side trips to NOLA and Mex) touched a whale, remodeled a house, spent the rest of our retirement funds (oops) but ended the year with more $ than we started it with.

2016 - Built some passion projects, traveled 156days including exploring all of OR, WA and an epic BC road trip (including a quick trip to Mexico), played a ton of beach volleyball and built our dream campervan out of a sprinter.

2017 - Travelled 330 days including a 4month winter road trip chasing snow, summer/fall spent traveling the PNW and playing beach volleyball, trips to Mexico and HI (swam with dolphins) and conceived a new business.

2018 - Another winter road trip chasing snow across the PNW, started a new business/side hustle and then celebrated by driving to the Yukon, NWT, Alaska (my 50th state) and the Arctic Ocean, and bought a boat.

2019 (so far) - Moved onto the boat, taught/teaching ourselves to sail/live abaord and island hopped south through the Caribbean, snorkeled more in 6months than in my entire life, learned more than my entire life and happier than I could have imagined my entire life (oh, and there's still 6 months to go).

Seriously... theres just not enough time in the day!!

Last edited:
Well, let's see how brief I can be:

2012 - Quit our jobs, got rid of everything that wouldn't fit into our 67 VW bus and drove south through Mexico. Travelled for 190days.
Most importantly...Found Ourselves.

2013 - Travelled for 120days driving the rest of Mexico/Central America, flew home and fell in love with Portland all over again, designed/built a teardrop trailer to camp/travel in, taught myself to weld and made some furniture to fill the place we rented.

2014 - Traveled over 90days, created a home base by transforming our garage into a "loft" for us to live in when not traveling, and started a business/side hustle.

2015 - Travelled 114days driving from Central America back to Oregon (including side trips to NOLA and Mex) touched a whale, remodeled a house, spent the rest of our retirement funds (oops) but ended the year with more $ than we started it with.

2016 - Built some passion projects, traveled 156days including exploring all of OR, WA and an epic BC road trip (including a quick trip to Mexico), played a ton of beach volleyball and built our dream campervan out of a sprinter.

2017 - Travelled 330 days including a 4month winter road trip chasing snow, summer/fall spent traveling the PNW and playing beach volleyball, trips to Mexico and HI (swam with dolphins) and conceived a new business.

2018 - Another winter road trip chasing snow across the PNW, started a new business/side hustle and then celebrated by driving to the Yukon, NWT, Alaska (my 50th state) and the Arctic Ocean, and bought a boat.

2019 (so far) - Moved onto the boat, taught/teaching ourselves to sail/live abaord and island hopped south through the Caribbean, snorkeled more in 6months than in my entire life, learned more than my entire life and happier than I could have imagined my entire life (oh, and there's still 6 months to go).

Seriously... theres just not enough time in the day!!

RE at 35...You my friend are awesome. Guess you have been and done everything now. Best wishes ahead buddy and keep discovering :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom