Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
We get our first shots (Pfizer) tomorrow (unless we chicken out, which at this point there's a 50/50 chance :) ) and the first thing I want to be able to do after 2 weeks post second shot is to go to the parks and trails again without having to worry about walking through a cloud of virus particles that someone near or ahead of me just may have exhaled..

Also want to go back and do my favorite mountain bike trail..used to do that at least 4-5 times a week and did not do it AT ALL in 2020.

That, and actually set foot in a store again (still wearing a good quality mask of course) to pick out my own fruits and veggies vs having to take whatever the curbside folks pick out for me..

Well either get the vaccine or don't, but don't be a bad citizen and bail at the last minute. plenty of people will take those slots if you don't want them. Pfizer only last a finite amount of time after being defrosted.

Well either get the vaccine or don't, but don't be a bad citizen and bail at the last minute. plenty of people will take those slots if you don't want them. Pfizer only last a finite amount of time after being defrosted.

Yes - agreed, and for the reasons you mentioned.

If we did decide to not take it now, I can easily notify a ton of people who would..(Facebook group for "Vaccine Hunting" that I belong to).

The slots definitely won't go unused.

Yeah, we're dreading the coming days when the nice weather rolls in and everyone's allergies kick in. We're going to be COVID testing everyone who walks into urgent care because we have to rule it out even if we're pretty sure it's allergies.

I noticed last spring that my allergies were much less because I was wearing a mask every time I stepped out of the house. This spring I will continue to wear a mask outside on days the pollen is bad.

I was reasonably pleased with the new Interim Guidance particularly being able to see low risk people from the same household without masking. That means I can see my son and daughter who live together and are low risk and I don't have to mask.

As far as restaurants, it doesn't actually say you shouldn't do it but that you should take precautions:

Risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection during public social activities such as dining indoors at a restaurant or going to the gym is lower for fully vaccinated people. However, precautions should still be taken as transmission risk in these settings is higher and likely increases with the number of unvaccinated people present. Thus, fully vaccinated people engaging in social activities in public settings should continue to follow all guidance for these settings including wearing a well-fitted mask, maintaining physical distance (at least 6 feet), avoiding crowds, avoiding poorly ventilated spaces, covering coughs and sneezes, and washing hands frequently.

So, depending on the restaurant and how crowded it is and the layout it could be OK. I think I would feel comfortable eating at a restaurant with outdoor seating when it gets just a little warmer.

It seems pretty clear they are recommending the limitations because of the vaccinated person's potential ability to pass on virus to non-vaccinated. If they learn that it is really unlikely I could see this changing.

I was reasonably pleased with the new Interim Guidance particularly being able to see low risk people from the same household without masking. That means I can see my son and daughter who live together and are low risk and I don't have to mask.

As far as restaurants, it doesn't actually say you shouldn't do it but that you should take precautions:

So, depending on the restaurant and how crowded it is and the layout it could be OK. I think I would feel comfortable eating at a restaurant with outdoor seating when it gets just a little warmer.

It seems pretty clear they are recommending the limitations because of the vaccinated person's potential ability to pass on virus to non-vaccinated. If they learn that it is really unlikely I could see this changing.

How long do you think the vaccinated should be expected to protect the non vaccinated? Say within 3 months everyone that wants a vaccine can get a vaccine (I'm just using this number as an example). If people are not vaccinating by choice, are we supposed to indefinably restrict our movements? This could turn into a sticky question.

How long do you think the vaccinated should be expected to protect the non vaccinated? Say within 3 months everyone that wants a vaccine can get a vaccine (I'm just using this number as an example). If people are not vaccinating by choice, are we supposed to indefinably restrict our movements? This could turn into a sticky question.

This is a complex question obviously. I do think it is relevant if the only people who haven't vaccinated are those who are not doing it by choice. But there are two factors that to me complicate it.

1. No one under the age of 16 is eligible to be vaccinated at all. I've read that teenagers might be eligible by fall but younger children probably not until early 2022. So any children and currently adolescents under 16 can't vaccinate.

2. Let's just pretend that tomorrow everyone was able to get vaccinated (including children) and many choose not to. It is easy to say that we shouldn't restrict ourselves to protect them. And, yet....we protect ourselves the less virus there is circulating. The more people who have Covid the greater the risk of new variants. The more new variants there are the greater the risk that one comes about that doesn't respond to the vaccine I've had. One of the main reason I have no issue at all with continuing to mask and distance when away from home is that I want to see the overall level of virus to come down so that there is less risk of new variants. That is still true whether the people getting Covid are ones who chose not to vaccinate or not.

In reality, we need more information. As someone who is 2 weeks past the 2nd Moderna shot tomorrow, how much chance is there they can pass on Covid to someone else? There is evidence that the chance that I can is less but now much less? If a vaccinated person passes on Covid how likely is it that the Covid will be severe? Is it possible that what a vaccinated person passes on is less lethal? Will we learn more about the risk to children in this situation?

Personally, I am totally fine with wearing a mask until children can be vaccinated. Staying 6' away from people is not a big deal either so long as I don't have to do that with my vaccinated friends or family or when visiting low risk people (like my adult children). And, I will feel personally comfortable going to the store, going to the doctor, and resuming much of my "normal life." I am OK keeping some restrictions until we know more and until everyone is able to be vaccinated if they choose to be (including children).

<snip>
Personally, I am totally fine with wearing a mask until children can be vaccinated. Staying 6' away from people is not a big deal either so long as I don't have to do that with my vaccinated friends or family or when visiting low risk people (like my adult children). And, I will feel personally comfortable going to the store, going to the doctor, and resuming much of my "normal life." I am OK keeping some restrictions until we know more and until everyone is able to be vaccinated if they choose to be (including children).

+100

I personally don't really like the CDC recommendation as it does not really foster a "We are all in this together" line that has been touted for the past year.

People who are vaccinated are clambering for opening of restaurants, bars, going on cruises. How do you think this makes the people feel who are patiently waiting extra months for their turn? You got your shot, yay for you, but I don't really want to see the facebook photos of you enjoying a cruise while I keep going stir crazy in the house while waiting for the government to tell me I can finally get a shot.

Unless we really were not all in this together in the first place...

Well, we weren't, were we? As green-eyed envious as I am of those who already have had options for the vaccine, the vulnerable population has heard far more targeted messaging than "we're all in this together" for the past year:

"Why can't just the old people stay home? Why do we all have to be careful, just the vulnerable should? If you're scared, don't go out, but I should still be able to" etc. There's been plenty us vs. them, as well as the warm fuzzy stuff.

So, now the tables are turned, for a few months at least. And if an elderly couple wants to go dance on the table top while I have to sit home still? Good for them, I'll join them later in the summer.

I'll throw in another thing to think about. Masks don't just prevent COVID. Someone earlier mentioned how much better their allergies were last season because they were wearing a mask when they went outdoors.

Many people have noticed that in the past year they haven't had so much as a cold.

Flu season has been virtually nonexistent. Our clinic typically sees 6-8 cases of flu every day. This year, we have seen zero. Not a single case all season.

Strep throat, sinus infections, ear infections, asthma and COPD exacerbations, bronchitis, pneumonia - all of it is drastically reduced from the norm. Why? Because we're all wearing masks in public, avoiding crowds, and washing our hands more.

I'm perfectly happy to continue wearing a mask long term. I actually hope that becomes common practice.

I'll throw in another thing to think about. Masks don't just prevent COVID. Someone earlier mentioned how much better their allergies were last season because they were wearing a mask when they went outdoors.

Many people have noticed that in the past year they haven't had so much as a cold.

Flu season has been virtually nonexistent. Our clinic typically sees 6-8 cases of flu every day. This year, we have seen zero. Not a single case all season.

Strep throat, sinus infections, ear infections, asthma and COPD exacerbations, bronchitis, pneumonia - all of it is drastically reduced from the norm. Why? Because we're all wearing masks in public, avoiding crowds, and washing our hands more.

I'm perfectly happy to continue wearing a mask long term. I actually hope that becomes common practice.

Thanks for this--my feelings exactly. I don't find it hard to wear a mask and I plan to continue to do so to avoid allergies, colds, flu etc

I personally don't really like the CDC recommendation as it does not really foster a "We are all in this together" line that has been touted for the past year.

People who are vaccinated are clambering for opening of restaurants, bars, going on cruises. How do you think this makes the people feel who are patiently waiting extra months for their turn? You got your shot, yay for you, but I don't really want to see the facebook photos of you enjoying a cruise while I keep going stir crazy in the house while waiting for the government to tell me I can finally get a shot.

I empathize with your feelings as an unvaccinated person. And my thoughts are no doubt colored by the fact I’m fully vaccinated already. But I disagree with your viewpoint for a couple reasons.

First, at what point would we begin to open back up under your approach? Only when everyone in the US has been vaccinated? And how do you even define that? And that keeps all the negative impacts on businesses, mental health, and other things in play for that duration.

Second, I almost feel that vaccinated folks have a duty to begin living their lives in a more normal pre-Covid fashion. If they’re just gonna continue to social distance and hide, why did they get the vaccine? Others would like to start living again and would have appreciated their spot in line. And again, for help in improving impacts on businesses, mental health, and a myriad of other negative things the social distancing has brought us this past year.

YMMV

^ This. Mark me down as a fan of mask wearing.

I've suffered from frequent (think annual or even more often) sinus infections all my adult life. About 15 years ago I noticed they almost always hit me in the summer, a few days after mowing my 1+ acre "lawn", which is a very dusty process. I started wearing a mask to see if that would help and it definitely did - stopped them completely.

Final Mod Warning:

We can keep debating masks and lockdowns, or we can keep the thread open.

So I thought it might be worth talking about how you plan to handle things particularly during the next few months when most people will not be vaccinated. My understanding is that fully vaccinated are told to continue to mask and socially distance even after vaccination....

I will be slowly going back to normal life. Slowly only because (1) I will respect businesses that ask customers to continue to mask / socially distance and (2) likewise for homes that I enter that wish the same. I have no intentions of following ongoing CDC guidelines other than that.

Well, we weren't, were we? As green-eyed envious as I am of those who already have had options for the vaccine, the vulnerable population has heard far more targeted messaging than "we're all in this together" for the past year:

"Why can't just the old people stay home? Why do we all have to be careful, just the vulnerable should? If you're scared, don't go out, but I should still be able to" etc. There's been plenty us vs. them, as well as the warm fuzzy stuff.

So, now the tables are turned, for a few months at least. And if an elderly couple wants to go dance on the table top while I have to sit home still? Good for them, I'll join them later in the summer.

But it isn't just the elderly couple going out and dancing on the table top is it? They will be joined by the cheaters, the line jumpers, the teachers who got a vaccine and yet refuse to return to class, the "critical workers" who actually have not set foot in an office in a year.

But even the above is not the real issue, it is the unvaccinated people who were always sitting on the fence about how serious COVID really was and will be inclined to join the dancing.

Thus opening the gates like this can put people in danger who are waiting for their vaccine when they have to do essential stuff like shop for food or make a critical doctor appointment

I predict a new viral website, filled with scandalous videos: "Old People Gone Wild"

Well I would not say we are going wild (may have a glass of wine!) but DH and I are going to a friends house for dinner--all of us around 70, all vaccinated. This will be the first time we have been in anyone else's house in a year. Also I got to visit my vaccinated 90 year old mother last week inside for the first time in a year. We were so happy we both cried.

Well I would not say we are going wild (may have a glass of wine!) but DH and I are going to a friends house for dinner--all of us around 70, all vaccinated. This will be the first time we have been in anyone else's house in a year. Also I got to visit my vaccinated 90 year old mother last week inside for the first time in a year. We were so happy we both cried.

I have no problem with this type of behavior and am happy you can safely get-together with friends.

What I don't want to see is a change in behavior by vaccinated people when they are out in public, mingling with those of us who allowed them to jump to the front of the line because they were more at risk.

If unvaccinated Joe Redneck sees a bunch of vaccinated people grouping together in public, he is going to take off his mask and group with his friends. It is just human behavior. Then Joe coughs on me when I am in the waiting room trying to get my age 50 colonoscopy.

I have a couple probs with hipaa lately. Citing hippaa, DFs rest home would not tell him if the roommate who had to be hospitalized was covid positive. That roommates right to medical privacy exceeded our right to know if DF had been exposed to a virus potentially fatal for him given age\health

Second, I would like to know if my dental hygienist, surgeon etc has been vaccinated or not to help guide my decisions for an aerosol transmitted virus I am not "authorized" to be vaccinated for yet (and they are).

I understand vaccination can't be mandatory yet but damn why can't we choose to frequent places or providers we know have been vaccinated? I also only eat in A inspection rated restaurants. To me its same concept but higher stakes.
That wouldn't represent a HIPAA violation. It's not against the law for you to share your own medical information voluntarily.

I think proof of vaccination is going to become a common requirement for various things, especially travel-related and especially outside of the US where folks aren't so hung up on privacy issues.

Post vaccination, I am looking forward to a) dining out at restaurants again (preferably outdoors, at first), b) getting on an airplane and traveling to someplace fun and exciting, c) getting together (indoors!) with other vaccinated friends and family, and d) not stressing over so much hand washing/sanitizing after touching all manner of things that were—or might have been—touched by someone else!

As many others have mentioned, I will continue to mask and social distance whenever and wherever it's appropriate (airports, planes, grocery stores, etc). But otherwise, it's pretty much back to pre-COVID life for me and DGF two weeks after our second shots. Life is too short to do otherwise, IMHO!

OK I won't mention m***s, but I just got back from mountain biking on one of my local trails. Younger folks were observing all precautions, while I ran across a couple of gaggles of older ladies, presumably all now happily vaccinated, and enjoying the sun on their faces without a care in the world - certainly without a care in the world for unvaccinated people like me who had to stop on the narrow trail and wait while they all slowly marched by within 3 feet of me.

I appreciate how wonderful it must feel to be free from worry, but other people still live in your world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom