Pot shops might ruin the neighborhood?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Uncle Ike's successful pot shop that caters mainly to the affluent attracts protests.

Interestingly, these pot shops are so profitable compared to the typical businesses in these storefronts that they really change the tenor of a neighborhood. Diners close, shoe repair and dry cleaners close, book stores go, because these businesses cannot compete to pay the rents that marijuana sales can pay.

This also has changed the racial makeup of the nearby neighborhoods dramatically in fewer than 20 years.

Of course many things change neighborhoods. Near to me, one of the only MacDonald's stores in Central Seattle is coming down to make room for a 17 or 18 storey apartment tower. I no longer eat Big Macs, but it is a great place to have a $1 cup of coffee and watch some interesting life. It is also a perfect spot for the many families who are here to get treatment at the big hospitals just across the street.

Ha

Last edited:
The ones I have seen are generally pretty out of the way in less typically retail locations.

I'm thinking of a couple in Boulder that are mixed in with garages and mechanical shops. Nobody seems to care. Maybe over time it settled down.

The ones I have seen are generally pretty out of the way in less typically retail locations.

I'm thinking of a couple in Boulder that are mixed in with garages and mechanical shops. Nobody seems to care. Maybe over time it settled down.

I agree in Colorado. With a few exceptions, you really have to look hard to find them and they are in second and third tier retail. Far from other typical retail. In the 'burbs where I live, they are basically non existent.

Yes, around here, the dispensaries are also located away from the main retail areas, with one exception. The Berkeley location of Amoeba Music was recently granted a license to sell weed. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and they were moving all the product out of the classical, jazz and world music room to make way for the dispensary. All the specialty music will henceforth be located in the main room with the rock, pop, and Rn'B. It's sad to see a music store downgrading it's music sales but at this stage of the game, it's wonderful that record stores are even still around. I must admit that there is some novelty in being able to purchase your pot and your music in the same location. It will be the first record store in California to house a marijuana dispensary. It's somehow fitting that this is happening in Berkeley. As the article says,

By the beginning of next year, the back section of Berkeley’s Amoeba Music won’t be where you buy jazz records; it will be where you buy “jazz cigarettes.”

Amoeba Owner Says Marijuana Dispensary Will Save Berkeley Store

PS - I haven't been able to view the video yet ha. My PC is downloading Windows 10 updates, and it's sucking up all the bandwidth.

Last edited:
Hasn't really hurt the 'hood in Portland or Bend. A few shops that are low budget, but most seem to have the cash to build out a nice space. They are mixed on main thourough fares and a few residential/rental apartment neighborhoods

in Bend one pot shop had the end space on a building with a low budget news an smokes shop taking up about 75% of the rest. The pot shop recently took over the whole building. The smoke shop move across the street and upped their game too. Win win. One pot store is going to push out our body fabricator. Terry has a lease until EOY. Word is they want the space for a grow.

IMO, not much effect one way or the other. Not really any problems that I can tell

edit: Did not watch the video. As Major Tom says the gentrification and incarceration thing is way different than just good/bad for the hood on perceived "badness"

Last edited:
Just viewed the video. I wasn't quite understanding the nature of the protest until near the end of the video, in which the lady was speaking. The fellow before her was digressing and rambling somewhat, but she effectively explained the anger they are feeling. It has to do with the effects of gentrification on the existing long-term residents, as well as the disproportionate rates at which people in her community were incarcerated for MJ offenses (and are still locked up), before recreational laws were passed.

I completely understand why they're upset.

Last edited:
Just viewed the video. I wasn't quite understanding the nature of the protest until near the end of the video, in which the lady was speaking. The fellow before her was digressing and rambling somewhat, but she effectively explained the anger they are feeling. It has to do with the effects of gentrification on the existing long-term residents, as well as the disproportionate rates at which people in her community were incarcerated for MJ offenses (and are still locked up), before recreational laws were passed.

+1

Pot shops driving out other businesses? Not like you can sustain several per block. More likely a pot shop is a symptom of already advanced gentrification.

Hasn't hurt our town, except the feelings of conservative folks who will never like the idea. There are 6 recreational shops here, and they don't stand out. But the $$ they create going to schools sure does.

Pot shops driving out other businesses? Not like you can sustain several per block. More likely a pot shop is a symptom of already advanced gentrification.
Regarding this specific idea that the pot shop reflects already begun gentrification, I think there is evidence both ways. Regarding the argument that there is a limit on how many the neighborhood can support, some of it would take too long to go through, and all it would get is disagreement based on people's various leanings. In any case, Ike's specific location was vacant for an extended time before he moved in here. Mainly because it was awfully easy for anyone who opened shop here to wind up dead in his store. The last guy was a young African immigrant with a family who was shot during a late-night robbery of his restaurant.

In any case, this train is long gone from the station. The true center of African American life in Seattle is far to the south in Rainier Beach. The CD in Seattle has a much higher white precentage than for example Manhattan.

Interestingly, this area prior to WW2 was largely well to do upper middle class families in large houses in the westernmost area (closest to downtown), and Asians farther to the East. Boeing's big worker ramp-up brought in people from all over the US to build planes, and the nearby CD was one of the few or perhaps the only place where those who might have been locked out elsewhere could freely move in.

After the war, many of the Japanese returned to this area after being released from internment. Many moved to Mercer Island and more suburban areas.

BTW, Eisenburg is an excellent businessman. This one store grossed over $25kk since opening in 2014. The locus of young well paid tech workers is South Lake Union near Amazon, and Capitol Hill from where it is easy to get to Amazon, downtown tech, and the Microsoft Connector or the bridges and public trans to Redmond. Uncle Ike runs nice stretch SUVs from these tech enclaves to take customers to him a few blocs to the south and east.

Last Wednesday I was riding with a driver that I often use, to go to a restaurant in the Salmon Bay area of Ballard. He has been driving around here for years, and he says that when the big Amazon ramp-up in So. Lake Union got going for real, the formerly hot residential area of Belltown just had population sucked from it to So Lake Union.

Demographic change is less certain than say hurricanes in the Southeast, but It is is basically inevitable.

Ha

Last edited:
There are pot shops all over the place in Colorado Springs. The one I like the name of best is Gas & Grass. It is a gas station where you can also buy your pot! :) I don't buy gas there. I don't want a credit card statement with that on the store name. (I'm not sure how it all works concerning driving while stoned.)

There are pot shops all over the place in Colorado Springs. The one I like the name of best is Gas & Grass. It is a gas station where you can also buy your pot! :) I don't buy gas there. I don't want a credit card statement with that on the store name. (I'm not sure how it all works concerning driving while stoned.)

Are they taking CC for weed? There's one here that just started. I get a 10% local discount and Fidelity gives me another 2%. :D The young lady thought my green Fidelity card had a mj leave in it.;)

As far as driving stoned it's like a DUI. No breathalyzer, mainly field sobriety tests. I guess they can ask for blood, urine but my understanding is it's the 30 day yes, no type of test. Nothing to say yes this person's impaired.

Last edited:
Maybe some cities/towns will need to revisit their zoning laws.

Are they taking CC for weed? There's one here that just started. I get a 10% local discount and Fidelity gives me another 2%. :D The young lady thought my green Fidelity card had a mj leave in it.;)

As far as driving stoned it's like a DUI. No breathalyzer, mainly field sobriety tests. I guess they can ask for blood, urine but my understanding is it's the 30 day yes, no type of test. Nothing to say yes this person's impaired.

I have no clue how they handle the sales aspect. But you can check it out and let us know the next time you are Colorado Springs. :D

I understand too, but it seems they're protesting the wrong people. I doubt very much that the owner of a pot shop was in favor of prohibition. Gentrification is a different issue, but do they protest if a Whole Foods gets built in the area?

I wouldn't have a problem with having that on my CC statement. There's a place down the road where I stopped in and bought a soft drink once on a walk. No cash, so I paid with a CC. Master Bait and Tackle is what showed up on the statement. I'd rather have Gas and Grass on there, personally.

Edit: I finally made it through the video. Painfully incoherent. What alternative would they prefer? Having empty shops? Having property values stay low? I didn't hear any solutions, just complaints. And those didn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:
Visited Breckenridge some time ago and there was a rec. pot shop in the middle of Main street but you would likely never know it unless someone pointed it out, a very discreet location. You can't smoke it in public so it's not like groups of pot heads were standing outside the shop getting high. I believe they eventually were force by the city to move the business to the outskirts of town, the city wanted to keep the family friendly image of downtown, or maybe all the drinking bars along Main St. were afraid of losing business.

Last year, we stayed in a timeshare close to Vail. At the parking lot in the rear, there was a posted sign saying in effect: "MJ consumption is illegal in public places. This is a public place".

What happened was that the timeshare was being renovated. Construction workers went out to the back parking lot to have a smoke break. Hence, management had to put up the sign.

Back
Top Bottom