prescription eyeglasses

happ

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hopefully, someone with expertise can help me out. I attempted to order eyeglasses online but run into snags.
1) I have a asymmetrical face with one eye .5 cm lower than the other.
Two of the most popular online sites only cut bifocals to a standard height they do not cut two separate heights. Is there any that will? Do I have to go back to the expensive box stores to get this done?

2) I dug out my past 15 years of scrips, I had kept only 4, and discovered my PD as measured by opticians are all different. 58,59,60 and a couple entered as dual and completely opposite of each other. Now I can understand while so many people have trouble with new glasses. When I take my own using a ruler and camera I get 57. Now I discover there is a near and distance pd's. It would seem to me that taking a pd with a ruler would be the near pd but is how all the online sites say to do it for the distance. How do you get the near? How much allowable error is there? Why is my pd taken by opticians all different? I would pay someone to take it but now have my doubts of the accuracy. How do you get an accurate distance and reading PDs?

Hopefully, someone with expertise can help me out. I attempted to order eyeglasses online but run into snags.
1) I have a asymmetrical face with one eye .5 cm lower than the other.
Two of the most popular online sites only cut bifocals to a standard height they do not cut two separate heights. Is there any that will? Do I have to go back to the expensive box stores to get this done?

2) I dug out my past 15 years of scrips, I had kept only 4, and discovered my PD as measured by opticians are all different. 58,59,60 and a couple entered as dual and completely opposite of each other. Now I can understand while so many people have trouble with new glasses. When I take my own using a ruler and camera I get 57. Now I discover there is a near and distance pd's. It would seem to me that taking a pd with a ruler would be the near pd but is how all the online sites say to do it for the distance. How do you get the near? How much allowable error is there? Why is my pd taken by opticians all different? I would pay someone to take it but now have my doubts of the accuracy. How do you get an accurate distance and reading PDs?

Go to a professional eye glasses store. Get nice glasses that fit you to a "T". Buy a few less coffees at the latte shop, brown bag it an extra time a week, (or what ever you spend big money for that you can make at home). Dont cheap out on your eyes.

Go to a professional eye glasses store. Get nice glasses that fit you to a "T". Buy a few less coffees at the latte shop, brown bag it an extra time a week, (or what ever you spend big money for that you can make at home). Dont cheap out on your eyes.

+1.
*"Someday, you're gonna want those puppies."

*Mel Gibson (on a different part of the anatomy) :LOL:

As someone who's been wearing glasses for over 50 years, don't go cheap it never pays.

+2

I see one who said they have worn them for along time...

So have I... and I can tell you that going expensive is not all it is cracked up to be either... the only advantage that I have see is that if it is way off they will replace them... maybe the online will also, not sure...

I have paid over $600 for glasses before... and the 'quality' is not there... sure, it is good, but not worth the extra money...

I will be buying my next pair online and if they are not great.... well, it was a cheap test... and if they are good, then I save a bunch of money.... I can also always use a backup pair which I usually do not have...

To OP, call them up... they might be able to enter something in their system that you cannot... it is worth a phone call.... no?

Big box stores don't get it right either. Just like at my PD's all different. The last pair I bought from COSTCO and they were the worse. I took them back after their 3rd try to get them right. Another large chain got their glasses back as well. The local optical shop had to do them three times to get them right. I've worn progressives for 18 years some get them right the first time and others can't ever get it right. Recently, had cataract surgery so now I don't need to wear glasses full time nor progressives and certainly don't want to spent $600 for a new pair. Oh, the last frame I paid over $200 for started flaking after the first year. Yes I willing to give the cheapies a try if I can get over the snags.

I got my last pair of glasses thru Zenni Optical. After I received them I took them to the eye doctor and asked her to check - she said the prescription was spot on. I would rather pay $45 than $450 any day. I've had them almost 2 years now. Not a bit of problem with the glasses (just with the cataracts).

I got my last pair of glasses thru Zenni Optical. After I received them I took them to the eye doctor and asked her to check - she said the prescription was spot on. I would rather pay $45 than $450 any day. I've had them almost 2 years now. Not a bit of problem with the glasses (just with the cataracts).

I've been using Zenni for several years. They fit great and I see well with them. Last eye chart I read I was perfect and no new scrip needed. Bifocals cost $68 and sunglasses were $45 through Zenni. To the OP's 1st question..... I don't have that problem so no help. Perhaps call and see if they can give you any advice.

I've been using Zenni for several years. They fit great and I see well with them. Last eye chart I read I was perfect and no new scrip needed. Bifocals cost $68 and sunglasses were $45 through Zenni. To the OP's 1st question..... I don't have that problem so no help. Perhaps call and see if they can give you any advice.

I also buy from zenni, actually just placed an order with them yesterday with my new script, $24 shipped for a pair of sunglasses and a pair of clear

I also buy from zenni, actually just placed an order with them yesterday with my new script, $24 shipped for a pair of sunglasses and a pair of clear

I placed an order for new progressive bifocals with them last week. I buy the titanium frames and get the best lens. Cost was $128 shipped.

I buy from Zenni or 39dollarglasses.com and have had good luck for many years. My prescription doesn't change much and I go for a check up every couple of years.

I placed an order for new progressive bifocals with them last week. I buy the titanium frames and get the best lens. Cost was $128 shipped.

I buy from Zenni or 39dollarglasses.com and have had good luck for many years. My prescription doesn't change much and I go for a check up every couple of years.

Just curious which one you think does a better job? Which one is lowest cost?

Just curious which one you think does a better job? Which one is lowest cost?

In my opinion, Zinni does a better job and is a bit cheaper based on what I bought over the years. Zinni's website is feature packed and easier to navigate.

Both places supply quality glasses for a great price.

"1) I have a asymmetrical face with one eye .5 cm lower than the other."

My eyes are level, but one of my ears is slightly higher than the other; I've been told by optometrists that this is fairly common. I just buy the better grade of Zenni glasses, and bend one temple (the part that goes over your ear) to suit. I would not try this with the super-cheap frames.

As for the PD, I printed out the little measuring thing that Zenni provides and used that. It seemed to work fine for our household. This is after I contacted the store that made our glasses previously and asked them for PDs (which are not on the Rx). They said "We're not allowed to give that out."

$100.00 for Zenni progressive bifocals with all the fancy coatings, vx. $600.00 at the store...the difference is worth a little messing-about with the PD ruler.

Another Zenni satisfied customer here. You have to fit the ear pieces but that is fairly easily done. Cdertinly not worth the ectra 400-500 dollars for eye doctor supplied glasses. For PD, have someone take a photo of you from as far away as possible. And look at something past the photographer. Use the measuring tool and zoom in. This should get you both PD and any offset necessary. I don't know how to specify different eye heights.

I screwed up ordering one time and missed the progressive lens checkbox. They gave me a one-time full credit on the re-order. Also, you can order just replacement frames if your frames break (if they still have that model in stock). They provide the instructions online and necessary tools for removing and inserting the lenses into the new frames.

The only thing I have to say is check over everything before you click the "Place Order" button. Sometimes when going back in the website to check the right options, the selection somehow disappears. Check and double check.

My last 2 pairs from Zenni were the bendable titanium kind. Best fitting glasses I've ever had. Fit well right out of the box. Hard to beat progressive bifocals for $68. Always look for a coupon before ordering, there is usually something available.

"1)
As for the PD, I printed out the little measuring thing that Zenni provides and used that. It seemed to work fine for our household. This is after I contacted the store that made our glasses previously and asked them for PDs (which are not on the Rx). They said "We're not allowed to give that out."

FWIW, I got my PD right off the printout from my last glasses order at Costco. You gotta love those guys!

I have ordered Rx reading glasses from Goggle4You that cost about the same as the over-the-counter ones I used to buy off the rack at the drug store.

I also ordered sunglasses from Zenni - frame, progressive lenses, photochromatic, anti reflection coating, and polarized clip-ons for under $100. I got the clip-ons because on hot days the photochromatic lenses - which are temperature sensitive - don't get as dark as in cooler weather. On hot bright Summer days I need some extra darkening at times.

FWIW, I got my PD right off the printout from my last glasses order at Costco.

My experience is this is the exception. Most in these parts make it a policy to not provide the PD measurement.

I didn't have a lot of luck measuring my PD until I improvised with a sheet of paper and a hole punch. I used a ruler to get the approximate distance then punched two holes in the paper that length apart. I varied the distance slightly until I could hold the paper up to my face and see through the center of both holes without obstruction. I then measured the distance between the center of those holes to get an accurate PD.

My last 2 pairs from Zenni were the bendable titanium kind. Best fitting glasses I've ever had. Fit well right out of the box. Hard to beat progressive bifocals for $68. Always look for a coupon before ordering, there is usually something available.
Same. I have rolled over on these, and I'm always surprised how simple ot bend back into shape. Think mine cost a bit higher, since I got 2 clip on shades.

My experience is this is the exception. Most in these parts make it a policy to not provide the PD measurement.

I didn't have a lot of luck measuring my PD until I improvised with a sheet of paper and a hole punch. I used a ruler to get the approximate distance then punched two holes in the paper that length apart. I varied the distance slightly until I could hold the paper up to my face and see through the center of both holes without obstruction. I then measured the distance between the center of those holes to get an accurate PD.
I use the method down the page in this article. Several methods are discussed and evaluated.

the Optician: Measuring Your Own Pupillary Distance

Agreed. That is why I keep going back to Costco. Offering a bit more is one way they stay ahead of their competitors who often act like chiselers.

FWIW, I got my PD right off the printout from my last glasses order at Costco. You gotta love those guys!...........
I asked the optician at Costco for the PD and he said, "they'll measure it for you out there in the eyeglass department".

In my opinion, Zinni does a better job and is a bit cheaper based on what I bought over the years. Zinni's website is feature packed and easier to navigate.

Both places supply quality glasses for a great price.

I've ordered a couple of glasses from them in the past year.

Those two pairs cost me less than buying one pair at retail, even Costco.

But the frames are cheap and really seem more like stuff you can dispose of, not worry about swapping in new prescriptions.

I got plastic frames for the first time in a long time. Every time I wipe the lenses, the frame is creaking and the lenses seem to move around.

However, now I'm thinking about getting a pair of sunglasses from them, which would be pretty pricey (though still way cheaper than retail) with polarized lenses, high index, mirror coating.

But will they tell you what it is? :cool:

The PD numbers where printed on the Rx/receipt sheet they gave me when I picked up the glasses. Costco is the only outfit where I have bought glasses that gives up that information without having to ask for it.

Back
Top Bottom