Prime Day 2019

I've never bought anything on sale on prime day in the past. But I'm ready to buy a new camera lens now. It's the same price on Amazon that it is at B&H photo. So I'll wait until tomorrow and see if the Amazon price goes down. I doubt it.

Also looking for some lightweight long sleeve hiking shirts. I'll buy a couple tomorrow if the price comes down.

I saw a $15 Amazon Fire Stick in the list of Prime Day deals. I've been thinking of this for travelling. Most hotels & AirBnB's have TV's with HDMI input. This would let us watch Netflix or Prime video on our existing accounts.

My only concern is remembering to take it with when we leave the hotel / apartment!

Well, so far I struck out with Discover. The $10 coupon disappeared and the other $10 coupon for paying with Discover reward points did not work.

Some people were using the Discover deal to get the Duo 7 in 1 six quart Instant Pot down to $49.99. Already have two, so no need for a third.

Amazon, I'm just not feeling the love... Time to up your game!

I have prime but its the family plan, my FIL pays for it i just get some of the benifits i dont get the movies but my internet is crap so it would not do any good if i had it. Have had it 5 years not paid a dime for membership yet.

Never found anything i needed on prime day, i will browse the deals for awhile then get board looking at junk i dont need and give up.

There are a few things I’d like. DW needs a new iPhone, her current one has a failing battery (only 1year old) and a failing WiFi antenna. My iPhone is still good but I might replace it if the price is right. I also need a new iPad, I’m getting regular iOS crashes, and that’s usually a bad sign.

I’m also thinking of getting a sous-vide machine. If the price is right on amazon prime day I’ll bite the bullet and buy.

FWIW, you might check with an Apple store, since they have been doing a number of repairs (actually replacements) of units with bad batteries lately.

I'm also amazed at how it's possible sometimes to replace a battery yourself in things that look impossible. I bought a new battery for my Kindle last month for 20-something bucks. It came with all the necessary tools and full instructions, and it turned out to be a 10 minute job although I initially thought "No way!"

FWIW, you might check with an Apple store, since they have been doing a number of repairs (actually replacements) of units with bad batteries lately.

I'm also amazed at how it's possible sometimes to replace a battery yourself in things that look impossible. I bought a new battery for my Kindle last month for 20-something bucks. It came with all the necessary tools and full instructions, and it turned out to be a 10 minute job although I initially thought "No way!"

Good point. I might try myself. I did one battery replacement in the past, which turned out to be a poor quality replacement. It wasn’t as difficult as I imagined, and as you say, the kit came with all the tools. We keep our old iPhones and find them very useful.

The battery she has now is one of the low cost replacements Apple gave when they had that replacement program. I’m reluctant to go to the store, as I’d have to put up with one of those insufferable [-]p’s[/-] techies with their s-eating grin and condescending attitude.

And the older Duo 6qt (7 in 1) model for $59
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ovrl

I don't know how quickly they'll go at that price. I've seen them run out quickly before. If you want one you might want to order today.

I see Walmart has the Duo 6 qt 7 in 1 for $59 as well (I checked because thanks to this board, I snagged my Lux 60, which I love, from Walmart a year ago for $44 plus a $9 cookbook: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/instant-pot-6-qt-for-49-a-93012.html). So if Amazon runs out, Walmart might still have this model.

I’m reluctant to go to the store, as I’d have to put up with one of those insufferable [-]p’s[/-] techies with their s-eating grin and condescending attitude.

Very sorry to hear that. Everyone in my local Apple store has always been totally professional and pleasant to deal with.

I should also mention that for anyone else looking for a new Apple product, this is the best source of buying advice I know of:
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com

I probably won't buy anything either, in the past it's always been stuff like TVs and other stuff that we just don't replace often or stuff we have no interest in. And as far as the 6% credit with the Amazon card, meh. The Sears M/C card that I have is now running a deal in which I get a 15% statement credit for anything bought online, not just Amazon.

If nothing else, we'll spend that on groceries.

I've never bought anything on sale on prime day in the past. But I'm ready to buy a new camera lens now. It's the same price on Amazon that it is at B&H photo. So I'll wait until tomorrow and see if the Amazon price goes down. I doubt it.

Also looking for some lightweight long sleeve hiking shirts. I'll buy a couple tomorrow if the price comes down.

B&H does not collect sales tax in ~28 states - so even if the prices are the same it might still be cheaper to buy from B&H - do a test run buy putting it in your cart and checking out

Looks like the Instant Pot is already set up for the best price you usually find $69.99 for the 6 quart Duo plus (9 in 1):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTPTS?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_img

And the older Duo 6qt (7 in 1) model for $59
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ovrl

I don't know how quickly they'll go at that price. I've seen them run out quickly before. If you want one you might want to order today.

Per Slickdeals you can get it from Macy's for $49.99:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13201669-6...ressure-cooker-50-free-shipping?src=frontpage

I'm keeping an eye on this wirecutter "The Best Prime Day Deals for 2019" web site. https://thewirecutter.com/deals/prime-day/
Already tempted by a few early release deals. I'm eyeing the Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage-Door Controller, but we're in the process of buying a new house and I need to see if my new opener is compatible.

According to Friday's edition of the Nightly Business report, both Walmart and Target are starting early with their own sales on Sunday. I bought an item on walmart.com. Next day shipping free on many items for orders over $35. No memberships required. This was my first ever walmart online order.

I have an Oasis Kindle that I've never cared for. I like the Paperwhites much better. So I'm trading in my Oasis for $75.00. Amazon is offering an additional 25% off the already reduced price of $84.00 on the Paperwhite so now I'm getting a new kindle for $56.00. A new kindle and money left over for more books :)

How about you? Are you nobly indifferent to this siren call? Have you figured out a way to game the Amazon Prime Day juggernaut efficiently and wisely?

I'll look things over. But I don't have anything on my "must buy" list and I tend not to buy much that I don't actually need.

My 9 year old Kindle Keyboard just keeps on chugging. If that died, I'd purchase a new one.

I'll look, but I probably won't buy anything.

Last edited:
Do I have to use my Amazon CC to get the 6% off? In other words, if I buy something and pay for part of the purchase with cash back points, do I get 6% back on that portion? If not, probably better to put on the Amazon CC to continue racking up more cash back points for another day.

Do I have to use my Amazon CC to get the 6% off? In other words, if I buy something and pay for part of the purchase with cash back points, do I get 6% back on that portion? If not, probably better to put on the Amazon CC to continue racking up more cash back points for another day.

Yes, you have to put it on the Amazon CC.

I actually never use the points to shop at Amazon. I just use them to get a credit on my statement. That way every purchase gets the max points.

Yes, you have to put it on the Amazon CC.

I actually never use the points to shop at Amazon. I just use them to get a credit on my statement. That way every purchase gets the max points.

Thank for the tip. Think I may have to start applying the points towards the statement too to maximize the points.

Not sure it was a Prime Day deal, but my Toshiba ext HD came back most of the way down to where it was, so I got it. Got a 4K Firestick too. That's it. So far anyway.

Here is the sous vide Prime Day Deal. It is the Avono Nano for $65, a 35% discount.

Yes - I bought one.
No - I am not real sure what to do with it.

Last edited:
Here is the sous vide Prime Day Deal. It is the Avono Nano for $65, a 35% discount.

Yes - I bought one.
No - I am not real sure what to do with it.
Got my sous vide machine.
Prime members can get $5 credit if you purchase a gift card of $25 or more. Buy yourself a $25 gift card and get $30 to spend (note the $5 credit won't be available until after Prime Day ends).

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acs...scom&camp=1789&creative=9325&node=14485264011
Got this too. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom