Prime Rib Roast

We got a 15 lb roast since the whole family was here this year. Since a couple liked well done, I cut off about 4 lbs and put it in the oven about 45 minutes before putting in the rest. Meat thermometer went in the large piece. I was off by half hour on my time estimate, so we ended up eating early. Fortunately, everything else was prepared or finished cooking while the roasts rested wrapped in foil. Had a perfect med. rare and med. well roasts to please everyone.

Had enough roast left to make a hash the next morning. It was gone quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks to this thread, I made a perfect med rare boneless roast for Christmas Eve using the 250 degrees reverse sear method I read about first here (DH thought it was hilarious that I found a thread on it here), with enough leftover to have again on Christmas day (searing briefly in a hot cast iron pan as someone here suggested for leftovers). After hearing about the many priceless financial tips I have found reading here over the years, he could not believe I was on this site on Christmas Eve learning how to best cook our expensive prime rib(less) roast for dinner! He agreed it was a delicious result. Thanks much!

Timely: We went to Christmas Dinner at a friends house, he used the 250 degree method on a huge prime rib (they had some last minute back outs). The meat was incredibly tender and among the best I've ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Reverse seat method convert here too. Thank you ER forum and America's test kitchen!

I did turkey on a V shaped rack and pan I bought for $7 at Macy's a couple of days ago (they screwed up the sale sign, tee-her). I stuffed it with chunks of lemons and onion, with sage and thyme from my garden I cooked it breast down then flipped it for the last 45 minutes to brown the breast, using two turkey lifter hooks. Moist and tender. I bought a store version of a Thermapen months ago for real cheap and used my old gas oven. I can't see buying another appliance until I really need to.

Best turkey ever. Also I followed an Andrew Zimmern video on how to carve a turkey and it was fantastic. I did the turkey and gravy and DS did everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom