Proofreading on its way out

Wasn't suggesting 100% reliance on Spell/Grammar check. It's a tool that's write their, and cathces most errors.

When you run a check, it brings your attention to each sentence, and can improve your writing. But not if itsoff.
:cool:
Agree it is not a pan of sea, uh, or even acre all four that matter.

I think I kneed to continue just having pun.

Our electronic medical record has robust dictation support, which I genuinely enjoy. I used to hate dictation, but seeing the words appear as I dictate is far superior, allowing proofreading as I create my notes, speeding the proofreading process, and creating an element of fun as silly mistakes appear on the page during the otherwise tedious task of medical note writing . (I am easily amused). One common computer error was every time I dictated “acetaminophen” it would type “A seat a men oh fin” or something like that. I finally added the word two my personal dictionary so it would get it write. [emoji38]

Reminds me of a story a friend told me when she worked for Public Storage back in the 1990s. She was a floater who traveled from building to building in the area, delivering checks, among other things. On a few occasions, she got a laugh from seeing checks made out to "Pubic Storage." Was the customer trying to send a message, or just being careless? :D

Caution with the word "public" gets prominent attention in any Copy Editing 101 journalism class. It's widely used in news stories; the narrowness of the "l" and "i" makes it easy to read over that missing crucial consonant; and the typo obviously can create some suggestive connotations. "Public sector" becomes "pubic sector; "public service" becomes "pubic service."

The antennae of every good copy editor twitch at the very sight of the word. I'm not even going to mention it again for fear I might misspell it. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom