Proofreading on its way out

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just seen on Marketwatch:
"Why everyone should save money as if the are going to retire early"

Have some pride. Bring back your proofreader!

I'm a compulsive proofreader. Here's one of my favorites. Hard for a sports team to lose to themselves, but I guess it's getting pretty bad for the Wolves.

TimberwolvesLose.jpg

Some FB posts appear to be written in a foreign language.
And then they post again trying to clarify.
....mean while there is the ability to edit a post or comment that 99% of the population appears to be unaware of.

Proofreading has been dead for some time now. I bet I can find grammatical errors in about ten percent of the stuff I read on line. I’m talking about articles, not personal posts. I think it’s due to the reliance on spellcheck which will obviously let you know of a spelling error, but not the missing word or missing letter that still leaves a proper word but which does not fit the sentence.

From Cambridge University

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

The Correct English and Spelling of my recent post

Real English and Correct spelling of the above.............

I couldn't believe that I could actually understand what I was reading. Using the incredible power of the human brain, according to research at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. The rest can be a total, mess and you can read it without a problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole. Amazing, huh? Yeah and I always thought spelling was important! See if your friends can read this too!

One more jumbled word example

It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I used to help DW publish a newsletter for an organization, and I was listed on the masthead as "Profraeder". In the several years we did that, nobody ever commented on it, despite it going to several hundred people every month.

There was a recent Fresh Air interview with a copy editor from Random House that is somewhat relevant to this thread. He makes some points that could apply to many people’s writing and speaking habits:

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/6915...stand-tall-wordsmiths-but-choose-your-battles

[ADDED] Not so much spelling, but style. I recognized several phrases that creep into sentences, even - dare I mention? - right here!

Last edited:
Just viewed on CNBC:
"Ameriprise put retirement savers at ‘disavantage’ in higher-fee funds, SEC says"

I love watching the morning news loops. It takes them a couple hours to sort out all the errors. The 4:30 airing is a comedy show.

Years ago the newspaper where I worked hosted an elite policy roundtable featuring an organization call the Public Policy Forum. It was such a big deal, the top editor personally took charge of producing the engraved invitations that went out to the high and mighty.

After they went out, we drones in the trenches had a laugh when we saw the invites to a convocation of the "Pubic Policy Forum."

Everybody needs an editor. Trouble is, there aren't enough to go around anymore. Nobody wants to work that cheap.

There was a recent Fresh Air interview with a copy editor from Random House that is somewhat relevant to this thread. He makes some points that could apply to many people’s writing and speaking habits:

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/6915...stand-tall-wordsmiths-but-choose-your-battles

[ADDED] Not so much spelling, but style. I recognized several phrases that creep into sentences, even - dare I mention? - right here!

I love that book, and Benjamin Dreyer is a delight. That interview was excellent too, well worth a 2nd listen. But yes, he's more of an overall editor, vs. a strict copy editor.

Lack of good copy editing, imo, conveys a lack of respect for your material and your audience. Sadly, as many newsrooms are reducing staff across the country, it's one of the first jobs to go.

Don't get me started on the errors that I find in, ostensibly, academic history monographs. I'm currently reading a very fine book about Washington, D.C. in the Civil War and there is a complete sentence that appeared two pages before its proper place and then reappeared at the proper place. Someone's hand was a little loose on the mouse when it was cut and paste time.

It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Taht is petrty dran cool!

I agree that proofreading has become a forgotten task. As Jerry stated, spellcheck only works for mistyped words. It does not catch wrong grammar or wrong words used if the words are spelled correct.

Funny story, in college one of the prof's had us do spelling tests for the technical words to ensure we would spell them correctly. Being an engineer, there were plenty of bad spellers within my classmates. Me being a smartass, I would label the paper at the top "Speeling Test" every time, but would always spell the words for the test portion exactly right. It was my small way of protesting since I did not have the spelling issues.

I consistently find proofreading errors in a high percentage of items I read. Now in my E-R forum replies, any mistakes are usually because of typos and me not taking time to proofread............

Spelling and Grammar Check are part of word processing software. You might have to turn it on...

Years ago the newspaper where I worked hosted an elite policy roundtable featuring an organization call the Public Policy Forum. It was such a big deal, the top editor personally took charge of producing the engraved invitations that went out to the high and mighty.

After they went out, we drones in the trenches had a laugh when we saw the invites to a convocation of the "Pubic Policy Forum."

Everybody needs an editor. Trouble is, there aren't enough to go around anymore. Nobody wants to work that cheap.

Reminds me of a story a friend told me when she worked for Public Storage back in the 1990s. She was a floater who traveled from building to building in the area, delivering checks, among other things. On a few occasions, she got a laugh from seeing checks made out to "Pubic Storage." Was the customer trying to send a message, or just being careless? :D

Sure. But have you notices the software is not always write?
For the original quoted problem, see below for the Word 2010 check.

Your example passes because it makes sense. I do get that it is a sentence that is awkward, and seems nonsensical at first, but you can interpret it in English.

For example, to answer your question, "I have not received a notice that the software can be in a read-only mode."
:angel:

Attachments

• grammar.PNG
    grammar.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Your example passes because it makes sense. I do get that it is a sentence that is awkward, and seems nonsensical at first, but you can interpret it in English.

Sure. My point is that spell checkers catch obvious problems. They are know substitute for a good solid understanding of the language and a keen eye.

Sure. My point is that spell checkers catch obvious problems. They are know substitute for a good solid understanding of the language and a keen eye.
Wasn't suggesting 100% reliance on Spell/Grammar check. It's a tool that's write their, and cathces most errors.

When you run a check, it brings your attention to each sentence, and can improve your writing. But not if itsoff.
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom