quicken equivalent with low/no cost

bobbyr

Recycles dryer sheets
I used to use MS Money and loved it - I didn't care about connecting to online accounts, I am good with downloading csv or whatever and balancing.

With a new computer a while back, I had to go with Quicken, since MS Money went the way of the dinosaur. Quicken has an annual fee that insults my cheapness especially when I don't use the functionality that they are promoting (connecting to accounts online). I think it's $45/yr or something like that.

Does anyone have a recommendation for possible freeware or a desktop app with no annual fee? I don't need mobile app, just desktop. Also, I don't need management of investments, just daily expenses (credit cards and bank accounts).

Thanks in advance

If you don't need the auto download capabilities, your best bet would be to get an older version (pre-subscription version - 2017??). All features work without any annual fee. However, no support from Quicken.

Last edited:
I am still using Quicken 2005. Yes, the automatic downloading of prices and stuff has not worked for many years, but it does exactly what I want. Windows OS still does a great job of running older programs.

I abhor any service/product that comes with a subscription model.

Except for new download protocols they have supported over the years, I haven't used any new features they've added since the year 2000.

I pay over $200 a month for my cable/internet/phone package. Insurances, about the same. I renew Quicken for about $30 a year. I used to whine about it too, but for something I use almost every single day, I think I get my money's worth.

Per Microsoft, MS Money will run on Windows 7 and Windows 10.
A download of Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Deluxe is available on Cnet. I just downloaded it, installed on my Win 7 machine, and it looks like it works fine.

https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Money-Plus-Sunset-Deluxe/3000-2057_4-77545178.html

Thank you

I went to the trouble, many years ago, of purchasing MS Money cd specifically so I could load it on new computers, but it failed on this one -- probably incompatibility from the cd files being too old or something. Anyway, thx

The download is the most recent version and is completely free. You should give it a try - what have you got to lose besides the 5 minutes to download and install?

most definitely

I’m not following the OP’s question. He states he already purchased Quicken but does not care about connecting to online accounts. The annual fee is specifically to keep the online functionality available. If you just want to manually enter transactions without downloading them you can continue using your existing license without renewing it.

I’m not following the OP’s question. He states he already purchased Quicken but does not care about connecting to online accounts. The annual fee is specifically to keep the online functionality available. If you just want to manually enter transactions without downloading them you can continue using your existing license without renewing it.

He wants to "download csv or whatever". Importing downloaded transaction files into Quicken requires a subscription, same as having Quicken connect directly to the financial institution and download the transactions.

Mint is free but online only.

I didn't renew my latest Quicken subscription since I was disappointed on how difficult it was to import Mint into Quicken without a lot of manual clean-up.

He wants to "download csv or whatever". Importing downloaded transaction files into Quicken requires a subscription, same as having Quicken connect directly to the financial institution and download the transactions.

yes that was my issue when I tried to dodge the fees

Sorry, I think that was confusing. I do like the download feature...true that I could manually enter all transactions without paying the subscription. I am managing a lot of accounts including my mom's...so I do like downloading.

Sorry, I think that was confusing. I do like the download feature...true that I could manually enter all transactions without paying the subscription. I am managing a lot of accounts including my mom's...so I do like downloading.

So pay the $30/year and split the cost with your Mom. :D

For me, the $30 or so a year to easily download is well worth it to me. I probably download once a week or so, so that 58c per download is worth it.

At this point, even if there were another software that provided similar functionality that was free I'd probably stay with Quicken because I don't care to spend the time to learn a new piece of software.

I’m the same way, a Quicken user who pays. Maybe not part of e-curmudgeon.org?

I have used Quicken since it was a DOS program, and will continue to pay and use it as long as I'm upright. Well worth the subscription for the download capability. And they offer good product support if you need it. I use Windows on my PC, but learned my lesson with all other MSFT add-on programs. They were always a Me-Too product launcher, and never for the long term. MS Money, Zune, MS Streets & Trips, and many others -- launched & then abandoned.

So I happily support Quicken, one of the "little guys"

(So I guess I'm not a curmudgeon :))

So pay the $30/year and split the cost with your Mom. :D

For me, the $30 or so a year to easily download is well worth it to me. I probably download once a week or so, so that 58c per download is worth it.

At this point, even if there were another software that provided similar functionality that was free I'd probably stay with Quicken because I don't care to spend the time to learn a new piece of software.

i was spoiled with ms money

Ive been using KYmoney for years since I got away from Windoz.

I did not reactivate my Quicken membership a few months ago when it became due and figured I could just manually enter transactions and update
Did not realize how much work it was so I picked up a new copy today at Best Buy for $31 and will reactivate it once I figure out how to how to enter the new code, looks like if you buy from Quicken direct for $51, you need to login to your Quicken account but if you buy retail, you can just add it within the program.
Will wait till Monday so Quicken is available justnin case I run into problems.

Count me in the camp that feels that a Quicken subscription *IS* a "low-cost equivalent to Quicken."

I did not reactivate my Quicken membership a few months ago when it became due and figured I could just manually enter transactions and update
Did not realize how much work it was so I picked up a new copy today at Best Buy for $31 and will reactivate it once I figure out how to how to enter the new code, looks like if you buy from Quicken direct for $51, you need to login to your Quicken account but if you buy retail, you can just add it within the program.
Will wait till Monday so Quicken is available justnin case I run into problems.

I did the same thing. It’s very simple. Just add the code and your membership extends another year.

Back
Top Bottom