Recollection of your career

I find people that have in air of self importance are actually insecure. Some of the best executives I have known are down to earth types who do more listening than pontificating.

In my case I ER'd over 2 years ago but am still pretty involved in my previous career (academic scientific research) and I feel that I am still deriving satisfaction from the preparation and accomplishments of my work life. Somehow I feel that when I completely stop practicing science, my career will still be very important to me.

I rather think there may be a wide range of opinions and feelings on this among the E-R.org folks....

I had to retire to start to enjoy work again.......

I also had a career in scientific research in government and academic labs, but I was not enjoying the job I had before ER. The salary and benefits were good, but it was a bit of a dead end without many resources and continual worry about grants. I left as soon as I vested in the pension without any regrets and enjoyed 2 years of full retirement. Then an old colleague hired me to do some contract work at his startup....I work about half time on lots of fun stuff and get $100/hour.

I dont think that viewing yourself as "not a cog" automatically qualifies you having an "air of self importance".

I never said or meant that. Sorry if you took offense. My point is that humility has become a lost art.

I never said or meant that. Sorry if you took offense. My point is that humility has become a lost art.

I am sorry if I misread your post, but in the context of this thread, it seemed to imply that? Humility a lost art? Like most every other desirable attibute I guess?

We were shopping for curtains today and started a brief conversation with another couple browsing the aisles, and I recognized him from a project we worked on in 1981 during the commissioning a new state of the art chemical production plant. For 12 months we worked very closely together, he being a process engineer and myself being a control engineer programming the computers that ran the unit. Haven't seen him since then, but it did bring back great memories of work developing leading edge software and processes to try and keep 1 step ahead of the competition. Last May I also bumped into someone I had worked with for about 12 months in 1983 developing a computer system that interfaced with other production unit control system and did advanced model-based process control. (In fact it was this system that took me to the USA a few years later).

Those were actually excellent times for me, really enjoyed working on computer systems that were in control of very dangerous chemical plants, trying to maximize profitability without hurting anyone.

I dont think that viewing yourself as "not a cog" automatically qualifies you having an "air of self importance".

I think you have a negative view of a cog.... I do not know why.... I do not... I was a very good cog and had a great career...

Not everyone can be or wants to be the Indian Chief.... some just want to be the Indian.... (and Indian = cog)....

I find people that have in air of self importance are actually insecure. Some of the best executives I have known are down to earth types who do more listening than pontificating.

They could've fooled me.:facepalm:

At the Catholic elementary school my kids attended, there were a great deal of movers and shakers, doctors, lawyers, VP's etc. They never seemed to have a worry or care in the world.

Turns out 1 of the movers and shakers...huge ego...did very well in a very short period of time type, was written up in the paper last week as not paying employees. When I say he did well, there is about a 70% chance if you are a lady you have bought 1 or many more of the bracelets his former company made. He was 1 of the key players in the company and did very very well during the run. Well it turns out he is facing all kinds of lawsuits from vendors, employees the irs, even his "bought and paid for by previous employers settlement package" $14 million mansion, was on the auction block for tax liens and unpaid debt. So despite his recent $180K BMW, he's been drowning ever since he and the previous employer parted ways.:confused: I guess he was trying to hide his insecurities.:facepalm:

My wife even observed that these parents were so pretentious that 1 parent who she had 3 of his kids, would know her name and be super friendly while she was his child's teacher, and would call her by the wrong name in years she didn't have his kids.:mad:

If you asked him he wasn't a cog either:D

I was taught my invaluable skills and knowledge during by 31 years with Mega Corp. I had many wonderful mentors starting as an intern and through out my career. Just before I was going to retire, I suggested to Mega Corp. that I should be given a small core of young graduates and I would train them and transfer all my knowledge and valuable skills and I would stay a few more years.
Their answer - no, we think you should leave and laid me off. I spent a year taking a break, did some traveling and then went to work overseas:
1st to Dubai a 2 year contract;
then onto Viet Nam (Saigon / HCM) for another 2 years;
then to SE Asia and currently in a middle of another 2 year contract. What am I doing, yes, transferring my knowledge and skills to the local Government employees of that Nation. Yes, I loving every day and visiting the world. (Great pay/perks) I least there are some that still respect great skills and knowledge. If things keep going as it is, I will be grateful to die at my Desk surrounded by people who want/need to learn my skills. I will be their mentor till I die like the people who trained me.

Last edited:
Just last week I learned that a guy I hired to head a team in my company's branch in Bangalore about 7 years ago was transferred to Singapore. I was instrumental in convincing the company that acquired us to start an analytical team in Bangalore- we'd previously used outsourced workers but had less control, less transparency and couldn't offer them increased opportunities.

As soon as I interviewed him, I said, "I want this guy" (and the other 2 interviewers, from HR agreed)- he had the technical smarts but was pleasant, laid-back and clearly had a management style that was tailored to individual employees. When I left he was a Senior VP, a level I'd never reached. I was so happy to see him get an opportunity elsewhere in the company.

Outsourced/offshored workers have a bad reputation because many firms work them to death and there's low pay and rapid turnover. Our branch was/is an exception. I went to India about a half-dozen times and, while the poverty was disturbing, I reminded myself that I was training and mentoring people there and working for a firm that provided good jobs. I knew these were the sons and daughters of the privileged classes (one guy, whom I did NOT hire, felt it necessary to inform me he was a Brahmin), but they hired people to clean their houses and watch their kids, they bought cars, and we also had jobs for people who cleaned the offices and worked in the cafeteria. I felt like I had a little part in building India.

And I'm going back on a tour in a year, with my Aunt. I can't wait!

Those were actually excellent times for me, really enjoyed working on computer systems that were in control of very dangerous chemical plants, trying to maximize profitability without hurting anyone.
I have a Masters in Process Control (an offshoot of electrical/chemical engineering) and I spent three years automating two plants for Exxon. It was very satisfying and good memories too.

I have a Masters in Process Control (an offshoot of electrical/chemical engineering) and I spent three years automating two plants for Exxon. It was very satisfying and good memories too.

Yes indeed.
:dance:

My entire working carrier I can summarize as one memorable date, November 18th. This is the date when I was hire, and after 26 years, let go. Both times I was extrimely happy.

I had a decent career in aerospace electronics, and attained some modest achievements. I am proud to say that all the places, that I worked at and left, later sought me out to try to get me to come back, despite myself maintaining no direct contact (it's still a small world). So, they appreciated my work, and did not think I was too much of a pain in the neck.

One day, out of curiosity I searched on the Web for a highly technical paper (lots of equations) I wrote that won an award at a professional conference, and found it in a few places. So, some workers in this esoteric field found it useful. I twice got invited to do consulting because people saw this very paper, one even panning out and I made some really good money when my other work dried up, while being able to help them out and they were happy.

My designs still lived on in a few places, and my documents were still read in those places, as I found out by chance (it probably gets plagiarized too).

But so what? They did not offer me a million bucks, else I would still be working. And whenever I look, even in this smartphone that has some idiotic pitfalls that made me swear, there are nifty hidden aspects that some unknown engineers like myself toil and sweat over to perfect, burning the midnight oil. And they are surely and deservedly proud of their work like I do mine.

Last edited:
So, my reflections are not so much about my career, but how I did as husband, dad, and soul mate.

Absolutely! I'm only 42, but I consider family first. I work hard when I do, but I'll never let myself be on call 24/7 or even work more than 40 hours a week at my job. I do spend a little time on my rental and another business ambition, but I (almost) always schedule that around family time.

Sent from my XT1031 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom