Recollection of your career

Recollection of my career can be summed up by

The job(s) I had with my 1st mega corp were very rewarding (as in the sense of accomplishments). I could often see the results/benefits of the work I did. They paid me a fair wage for the work I did and I enjoyed it immensely for the more than 10 years I worked there.

The job(s) I had over the next ~30 years with mega corp #2 were not nearly as rewarding (in the sense of seeing my accomplishments or feeling I was adding value) but they paid me an obscene amount of money which allowed me to ER very comfortably.

Last edited:
I lived my dream of starting my own business. My efforts created jobs that folks used to support dozens of families. Those two things right there are enough for me.

Yes, I did report to the CEO in a major corporation (Canada's second largest company with a market cap of about $120billion). Agree that everybody is replaceable (easy of not) I just never felt, acted, or was treated like a "cog". The word "minor" is somewhat subjective as well. I agree that in the overall scheme of life we can view ourselves as "minor" but to those we interact with much less minor, and that's the important thing. I guess we should just agree to disagree.

Well then if you read one of my post I said that was not 'minor'... but I would put the people under you as minor... again, not saying they did not do a good job....

When I worked at a smallish firm ($10 billion in assets), I did the monthly divisional performance report.... I improved it over the years, adding graphs and other items to make it easier to see trends etc... after doing it for 3 years I was talking to my boss about cutting it back.... the reason? Well, on the cover page I always wrote that if you have a question please give me a call... I never got a call in 3 years... Well, boss said 'TP, do you know that in the board room they call it the TP report and will not have a meeting without it'.... Well, no I did not.... (even though I made a separate slide package for the CFO which I knew they saw).... but still, even though my product was 'important', I made zero decisions on what direction the business was going... I was a cog...

So your view of how important someone might be is different than mine.... I was 'important' in a way, but someone else could have easily come in and done the job.... kinda a plug and play job....

Last edited by a moderator:
I recollect my career as something I did, once upon a time. Fun to think about once in a while, like an old boyfriend or a place I lived, but not who I am. Never did think I was important in it. Loved doing it, but don't miss it.

I don't spend my retirement looking back in recollection.... I have too much to look forward to.

I got great reviews and worked on several projects that were deployed in the 10's of millions.... so my work *might* have been in your home. But there were lots of other folks who also worked on the products.

I had my hero moments... where I found the fix in time, or came up with the cool feature idea... But I also had a lot of time doing grunt programming... writing code to get the job done...

I was a cog... but it paid well, the work was pretty interesting... and my bosses liked me. I survived serial layoffs that resulted in over half (closer to 2/3's) of the workforce cut... so I don't think I sucked at my job. Ironically, one of the VP's (who reported to the CEO) was responsible for much of the downsizing... then was let go himself. I saw *many* CEO's in the 20 years I had with the company... Some were considered "special" - but they still were replaced.

Overall - I've got too much going on, moving forward, to spend a lot of time dwelling on my former career.

Yes, I did report to the CEO in a major corporation (Canada's second largest company with a market cap of about $120billion). Agree that everybody is replaceable (easy of not) I just never felt, acted, or was treated like a "cog". The word "minor" is somewhat subjective as well. I agree that in the overall scheme of life we can view ourselves as "minor" but to those we interact with much less minor, and that's the important thing. I guess we should just agree to disagree.

Keeping my bank, and the Canadian banking industry, strong, is not "minor" in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a SAHM, I am proud that, through good times and bad, I kept food on the table while my DW raised a family. My jobs were road warrior gigs from 50 to 100% travel. Just for giggles, I also completed my MBA while working FT.
So, my reflections are not so much about my career, but how I did as husband, dad, and soul mate.

If there was a career highlight, it was mentoring ambitious, young go-getters to temper their balance. In a mega-corp, your departure,under any circumstance, is like a small stone in a big lake. Conversely, your circle of family and friends might see your departure /passing as a planet killing asteroid. Perspective matters.

I never recollect. If someone asks I say either brain surgeon or garbage man. Both real dream jobs of mine and instant conversation changers.

^ lol.

Re. the "cog" thing, I prefer the word "replaceable." We're all replaceable. I don't like "cog," because it implies you are a machine part. There's a dehumanizing connotation to the word. It's as if you are nothing more than a servant of the master system. You have no brains or independent mind of your own. You are just a robot.

I don't see myself that way, and that is not how I function at work. So I dislike the term "cog." But I am certainly replaceable.

Last edited:
^ lol.

Re. the "cog" thing, I prefer the word "replaceable." We're all replaceable. I don't like "cog," because it implies you are a machine part. There's a dehumanizing connotation to the word. It's as if you are nothing more than a servant of the master system. You have no brains or independent mind of your own. You are just a robot.

I don't see myself that way, and that is not how I function at work. So I dislike the term "cog." But I am certainly replaceable.

Agree. Well said.

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. -- Genesis 3:19 (KJV)

My career by job influence:

Cog
Cog
Military - Keep your head down!
Cog
College - study/cog/study/cog. etc - part time jobs
Cog
Leader
Cog
Cog
Business owner

That's it, all over the place.:D

I recollect that I'm not working anymore - :)

I googled myself and yup, no results.

Cog.

Had a great 31 year career with many different jobs within mega corp. Relocated from MN to TX for 14 years and home again. After six years of retirement I still dream frequently about "work" but it is mainly about visiting with old friends. Can't say I would have done anything differently.

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. -- Genesis 3:19 (KJV)

That's depressing. The author should have eaten his vegetables, like his mother told him to do. :LOL:

Seems like the OT God was against early retirement. He wanted you to sweat and toil until you dropped dead. Then he'd break out the hoover.

A popular verse used at funerals.

No wonder folks rush down the pub afterwards. :nonono:

Yea.... kinda a good point.... but, I remember Bell invented the telephone...
Even that is highly debatable. Personally, I think the honor belongs to Johann Philipp Reis, whom no one has ever heard about. But others have reasonable claims as well.

Personally, I'm a cog. And that's fine with me.

Although I never considered myself a standout employee, all my supervisors over the years rated me from above average through outstanding. Only the last supervisor rated me average likely based on my confrontation with him which is what eventually what made my ER decision that much easier.
I considered my evaluations to be a measure of the boss since I did not change much. Ratings from award winning 1 to one 3. Mostly 2s. All the while, my actual performance never changed. I decided in was a measure of a sympatico style with the boss.

Years ago my employer made significant technology and consulting donations to a local institution for people with disabilities. The could not speak or write.

The computer technology and software was adapted so that the students could communicate.

I will never forget one young man. The first thing he wrote on the screen was 'they are abusing me' or words to that effect. It really hit home to all of us involved in this project the power of technology to change lives for the better and the satisfaction of working for a company that truly believed in giving back to the community. Not just money.

With a SAHM, I am proud that, through good times and bad, I kept food on the table while my DW raised a family. My jobs were road warrior gigs from 50 to 100% travel. Just for giggles, I also completed my MBA while working FT.
So, my reflections are not so much about my career, but how I did as husband, dad, and soul mate.

+1

I have blessed that my career allowed DW to choose when and where to work. She was a SAHM when our kids were young, then got back into teaching at the college level when they were older. She has always appreciated having choice in this area.

My career also allowed us to make financial decisions such as house purchases without depending on her salary (much to the chagrin of realtors :)).

The travel would be the only downside... I had positions in MegaCorp that required up to 50% travel, and I think that hurt my relationship with some of our kids that did not manifest itself until they were in their teens... fortunately we have been able to repair and strengthen those relationships now that they are young adults.

I now realize when I run into those folks who have an "air of self importance", that they actually believe it.

Back
Top Bottom