Repair shop broke my car!

According to my kids and some former employees, I was one even before I stopped work. Being FIRE'd has only honed the skills...:D
During most of my married life, I have been the one to negotiate, arm wrestle and get frothy when things go wrong. Now that DH is retired, I'm gonna shove a little of this responsibility his way. He's already encountered such a problem with a vendor, and he told the guy..."You don't want me to turn my wife loose on you." :LOL:

While true, I prefer to think about it in more lofty terms...........improving processes to make the world a better place for others. I do, however, gloat over every small victory.
Now that is a lovely way to look at it. ;)

During most of my married life, I have been the one to negotiate, arm wrestle and get frothy when things go wrong. Now that DH is retired, I'm gonna shove a little of this responsibility his way. He's already encountered such a problem with a vendor, and he told the guy..."You don't want me to turn my wife loose on you." :LOL:

Now that is a lovely way to look at it. ;)
Come on, 'fess up. You did the arm twisting because you liked it. Are you sure you can stand by while someone else does it, even if it is your cherished DH? :cool:

As for frothy, now that something I'd like to see :D

While true, I prefer to think about it in more lofty terms...........improving processes to make the world a better place for others. I do, however, gloat over every small victory.
I'll bet you are being facetious, but there's something to this. Folks who are busy with their jobs and their young kids really don't have time to be causing pain and settling scores with crappy businesses, irresponsible politicians and the like. Many of us have the time, skills, and disposition to dig in and be a royal PITA to those who need to be afflicted. What I used to see as crusty old curmudgeons I now know to be the essential white blood cells of our society.

Do your part! Raise a stink. Write a letter to the editor!
What do I do all day? Piss off those who need it most.

Fixing Injustice, Raging for Equity

Come on, 'fess up. You did the arm twisting because you liked it. Are you sure you can stand by while someone else does it, even if it is your cherished DH? :cool:

As for frothy, now that something I'd like to see :D
Well, I have to admit...I like breaking a sweat....

I had two great pics for frothy...but I shall refrain. :angel:

Well, I have to admit...I like breaking a sweat....

I had two great pics for frothy...but I shall refrain. :angel:

Breaking a sweat ... frothy pics ... gonna have a hard time sleeping tonight
devil-smiley-035.gif
devil-smiley-035.gif
devil-smiley-035.gif

I'll bet you are being facetious, but there's something to this. Folks who are busy with their jobs and their young kids really don't have time to be causing pain and settling scores with crappy businesses, irresponsible politicians and the like. Many of us have the time, skills, and disposition to dig in and be a royal PITA to those who need to be afflicted. What I used to see as crusty old curmudgeons I now know to be the essential white blood cells of our society.

Do your part! Raise a stink. Write a letter to the editor!
What do I do all day? Piss off those who need it most.

Fixing Injustice, Raging for Equity

Actually only half-facetious. The labeling came from a former boss, now a friend. We had to write up "abnormality" reports for major incidents detailing immediate fixes to issues as well as root causes and long term fixes so that you didn't have to keep addressing the same problems over and over again. It is amazing how complicated a simple linear process flows gets if it is not robust.....rework loops ,etc.....and how much time and money is wasted. In truth, after 5 years of being retired and being a PITA, I have only achieved one significant victory but I can tell that that place (a medical clinic) is serious about improving quality. All of the other incidents fixed me up but I am quite sure they will recur to others. It's still fun to try though.

Well, I am not retired. Anyone want to be a full time PITA to these guys for me?
USAA says they will reimburse me for parts/labor. That is good.

Bad thing is that I need to go buy the parts and find someone to do the labor.

The situation bothers me. They said they didn't break it and hinted that it was broken before. Hey, I can see their point of view. I just don't like being called a liar.

So, other than a complaint at the BBB and letter to USAA asking for them to review this shops "preferred" status, what else can I do?

So, other than a complaint at the BBB and letter to USAA asking for them to review this shops "preferred" status, what else can I do?

Oh, the possibilities are endless.
1) Let all your friends know about this place.
2) Is you a member of a local BMW club? I'm sure the people there will appreciate the heads-up.
3) Most states have a consumer complaint offcie (don't expect any results from this, but it may feel good).
4) Angie's List--are you a member? It's not a bad way to locate competent service providers of various kinds, it may be worth the annual fee (about $20 IIRC). And, then you can write reviews of service you've received at various places You can effectively reach thousands of people who are looking for a place to get their car fixed.
5) Your letter to USAA is a good idea.
6) Do any of your local TV stations or newspapers have a reporter that does consumer-oriented human interst stories? Advise them of this situation. A guy who got a bad car repair isn't much of a story, but they might bite if you tell them about the "battery service that can cost you $4500! Learn the shocking (tee-hee) story of one local driver and how you can avoid the same bill tonight at 11."
7) Give the management of the place a nice letter to begin with (not a phone call, but a letter--a registered/certified/return receipt one if you want to have proof of the communication later). I'd start off nicely, explain the situation, then tell him that you're sure he wants to do the right thing, etc. A week later (assuming no favorable respons to letter #1) let him know that you are disappointed, but understand that sometimes businesses don't honor their commitments. You want to do your part to enhance your community by advising others that do not perform in an ethical manner. "I'm sure you'll agree that this can only help to enhance the overall quality of the businesses in our town." Toward this end, you intend to take all the actions above (plus any others you can think of). They get lots of these letters, but few people follow through. Every time you send off another letter, be sure to CC him/her.

Careful out there--don't make any unsubstantiated allegations. But have fun.

Oh, the possibilities are endless.
1) Let all your friends know about this place.
2) Is you a member of a local BMW club? I'm sure the people there will appreciate the heads-up.
3) Most states have a consumer complaint offcie (don't expect any results from this, but it may feel good).
4) Angie's List--are you a member? It's not a bad way to locate competent service providers of various kinds, it may be worth the annual fee (about $20 IIRC). And, then you can write reviews of service you've received at various places You can effectively reach thousands of people who are looking for a place to get their car fixed.
5) Your letter to USAA is a good idea.
6) Do any of your local TV stations or newspapers have a reporter that does consumer-oriented human interst stories? Advise them of this situation. A guy who got a bad car repair isn't much of a story, but they might bite if you tell them about the "battery service that can cost you $4500! Learn the shocking (tee-hee) story of one local driver and how you can avoid the same bill tonight at 11."
7) Give the management of the place a nice letter to begin with (not a phone call, but a letter--a registered/certified/return receipt one if you want to have proof of the communicaton later). I'd start off nicely, explain the situation, then tell him that you're sure he wants to do the right thing, etc. A week later (assuming no favorable respons to letter #1) let him know that you are disappointed, but understand that sometimes businesses don't honor their commitments. You wantt o do your part to enhance your community be advising others of good businesses and "others." Toward this end, you intend to take all the actions above (plus any others you can think of). They get lots of these letters, but few people follow through. Every time you send off another letter, be sure to CC him/her.

Careful out there--don't make any unsubstantiated allegations. But have fun.

...you forgot the Better Business Bureau and the local Chamber of Commerce.
Remember, letters are cheap, his time isn't. :D

Wonderful suggestions Sam.

I earned my PITA certificate by documenting everything....and I mean everything. Paperwork, discussions on the phone, who I talked to, date and time of discussions. I keep emails, I cc everyone and their dog. I send registered letters out the wahzoo.

Last but not least, tell 'em you've got hundreds of friends that are retired and enjoy a good tango from time to time....:D

What I'm worried about is the slander/libel thing (get them mixed up). Not sure what I can say, or not say, regarding the situation. Nothing has been proven, shop is paying while not admitting to any negligence, etc.

USAA says they probably can't PROVE the shop broke it thru negligence, etc. So a lawsuit/small claims court is probably not going to happen.

I do work at one of the largest employers in the area so maybe can complain thru work somehow. 4000 people is a big customer base to get negative reviews to.

Well, IMO...the goal is to get some satisfaction from your endeavors; not worrying about it if you feel you may go too far.

If you feel somewhat satisfied now...you've won. :)

Also remember that a cornered cat can be very dangerous. If possible, it is sometimes better to allow it/them room to make a graceful exit rather than put them in a situation where there is no escape. Better a win/win situation than a lose/lose. Good luck!

Got the car back. They gave me a $425 "good will" check and a print out of an ebay auction for a Nav computer.

I think I can come out OK, depending on what other work is required along with the replacement of the Nav computer. Trouble is, all the used Nav computers are sold "as is" on Ebay and I'd hate to spend 400-$800 and get a DOA computer.

Back
Top Bottom