Restricted Diet and Travel

I'm a vegetarian so I have a hard time with restaurants in Europe. I keep mostly to delis there. But I have no problem in Japan / Korea / Canada

If you eat fish (or fish broth) and call yourself a vegetarian, it wouldn't be hard to be a vegetarian in Japan because most Japanese food is cooked using Dashi (fish broth), which means miso soups served everywhere in Japan aren't vegetarian. Or almost none of the cooked vegetables you might have eaten. Ramens even if they don't see meat floating in the soup are chicken, fish, or pork based. Anyway if you're not too strict with the definition of being a vegetarian, you'll be OK in Japan.

Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

If you eat fish (or fish broth) and call yourself a vegetarian, it wouldn't be hard to be a vegetarian in Japan because most Japanese food is cooked using Dashi (fish broth), which means miso soups served everywhere in Japan aren't vegetarian. Or almost none of the cooked vegetables you might have eaten. Ramens even if they don't see meat floating in the soup are chicken, fish, or pork based. Anyway if you're not too strict with the definition of being a vegetarian, you'll be OK in Japan.

Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
yeah .... ovo / lacto vegetarian so no fish but will do eggs. And I love sushi so Japan is easy. Korea is harder

Off to Australia in February and hoping it's just as easy. Otherwise sticking to delis again :(

yeah .... ovo / lacto vegetarian so no fish but will do eggs. And I love sushi so Japan is easy. Korea is harder

Off to Australia in February and hoping it's just as easy. Otherwise sticking to delis again :(

I recommend you avoid Argentina! Eating meat is practically a religion there. After I came home, I was a vegetarian for a month.

FWIW, the best meal I had in Vienna was at a Vegetarian restaurant.

I found that they love to fry everything even the veggies. Seeking something that would not clog up my insides I picked a vegetarian restaurant that was highly rated in a guide book. I was not disappointed.

Cool. Yep, no problem with Japan then. They do use eggs in a lot of things there. Kappa maki and tamago must have been your staple. With Japanese custard pudding for dessert. ;)

Last edited:
ovo / lacto vegetarian so no fish but will do eggs. And I love sushi so Japan is easy.

No fish but love sushi :confused:

Is there really that much sushi available that doesn't include fish?

I spent two months in Australia last year and found no problems following a vegan diet. We were on a cruise for part of the time and in cities or on land tours the rest of the time. New Zealand was also easy.

We are touring the east coast of AU in Feb and Mar of next year, then taking a cruise from Sydney to Vancouver, B.C.

But it's all natural, free range, gluten-free, low fat, no cholesterol, vegan, craft glyphosate, so really not bad for you.

And the glyphosate I eat is organic. You pay a bit more at the store for it, but it's worth it IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom