Retail Store Closings

Is the sewing totally automated? I can see that the pattern-making and cutting could be, but I listened to a podcast once on how difficult it is to automate the actual sewing together of the pieces. Having spent my younger years making most of my own clothes, I can see that. You need to feed the fabric in at the right rate, keep the proper tension on the cloth as you do, sew a consistent distance away from the edges, and VERY carefully execute rounded curves or points. Heck, I never could do a notched collar that was good enough for my tastes.

Here is a link to a Bloomberg article about automated sewing. The answer is yes it is being done. https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-02/robots-are-the-new-seamstresses In fact the article says the automated stations can do 1/2 mm accuracy. They are being used in Towels Drape and the like manufacture, and are just starting to move to clothing.
The article discusses the problems a long supply chain cause, in that it can take 9 months from the chinese plant to us store, and color tastes change in that time.
A quote from the article: "We cut a product, screen-printed it, flash-dried it, loaded it on to a power and free track, loaded it into 10 autonomous work cells — sewing machines — sewed the product, inverted it, packed it into boxes, depending on the order size, of small, medium, or large, taped the box, sealed the box, put the bar code on it and put it in a truck, says Henderson. "And no human touched it.” Just three workers – one per shift – handle the entire process."

So, why do Target, Home Depot, Whole Foods, and Dollar General seem to be expanding and thriving and hiring?

Food mainly. Not for HD of course. That is RE driven, but the others are about food distribution. I would disagree on WF. They are in more of a transition mode from their traditional stores to their lower price 365 brand stores. Most of their expansion is due to that. I think you'll see store closings as the transition continues since you can now buy natural and organics at Costco, Kroger Brand stores, etc.

We lost our local K-mart a couple years ago, although I have a feeling that was the neighborhood going south, moreso than simply K-mart doing poorly. That shopping center also lost a 7-Eleven a few years ago. It was replaced by some small independent store, but now even it's gone. And, I just got a notice in the mail that the Bank Of America branch at that center, which is where I do most of my shopping, is going to close soon. That particular location is the only bank I can think of that I've ever gone to that has an armed security guard standing out in front, so yeah, I guess that's an indication that area isn't exactly prime real estate.:facepalm:

Now that I think about it, the auto center at our local Sears recently closed up as well. And, during the holiday season, while that mall was bustling, the parking lot at the Sears end was pretty empty. So I guess they'll soon be gone with the wind. That mall lost a few stores too, as I recall. Bed Bath and Beyond closed up a year or so ago and relocated to a nicer area. I think there's a gym in the old location now. And we lost Petco within the past few years. There's a dollar store there now.

And, at yet another center, Sports Authority is shuttered. This particular center used to have a Borders book store...I can remember back in the late 90's one of my friends said that was a sign that culture was coming to the neighborhood. :blush: It's a Big Lots now.

I have bought scarcely any clothes in a store since 2003. Everything I wear, from shoes to dresses to athletic clothes to bikinis, is available online. If it doesn't fit, it goes back, but most retailers have measurement charts, so the fit is usually acceptable.

This is not to negate your very important original point, which is the tremendous loss of retail store jobs. Soon there will be nothing left for less-educated people to do, and those of means will need to provide them a guaranteed basic income. I see no way around this.

You may want to Google "Store Closings" for the latest information.
Sears will close an additional 150 stores in 2017, and Macy's 68... other major retailers have not disclosed specific plans, but we can expect many more major chains to leave unprofitable stores and accordingly to leave tens of thousands of employees without jobs. Macy's alone plans for a reduction of 10,000 in their sales force.

The ramifications of this are so far reaching as to be the the subject of a major study into this aspect of the U.S. economy. It is too simple to address this social and economic change as an effect of the rise of online shopping, ala Amazon.

The cost of retailing is first and foremost a result of inefficiencies of scale, where each store is required to stock lines of goods to be available at the point of sale. Thus, for instance... one style of a ladies bathing suit might require 3 in size 9, 5 in size 11, 8 in size 12 etc, etc... That's just one style. Multiply that by three different colors, and maybe 6 different sytles, and you have a huge iinventory of one item in one store.

Most of the older stores receive merchandise from different manufacturer, so the shipping and handling is very expensive. Walmart took the big step in the 1970's of establishing huge warehouses to service stores in a wide geographic area... centralized to receive all of the inventory, then to send out in individual trucks to tens or dozens of local stores. This, along with the computerized inventory that allowed a one on one replacement... daily, allowed economies of scale, which also allowed for a major reduction of inventory (think those bathing suits)....

Most of the major chains did not follow Walmart, but remained in large malls, continuing to build and expand, but at the same time, with rising costs. the peak of the Mall came (IMHO) in the early 1990['s, with a very rapid decline in the last 5 to 10 years. Many malls are now mere shells of what were the glory years.

Downsizing chains to retain profitability is a short term solution. The cost to effect the "economy" of relying on the profitable store is incredibly high. Not only the losses on inventory, but the continuing cost of employee benefits, less efficient advertising, central offices and support of all functions of accounting, transportation, buying, management, signing and dozens of other necessary central controlled operations... All of these are ongoing, reduced in cost, but losing the economies of scale.

A very major ongoing cost is that of long term leases... some as long as 20 years, with small likelihood of finding replacement store to take over 100,000 to 200,000 s.f. of space. Thus the ghost malls.

It's not just Macy's, Sears, KMart and Kohls, but almost all major retailers under fire. You will probably remember many that have closed, but it's only when you see listings of defunct retailers, that the awesome breadth of change becomes clear. Try this list from Wikipedia, to see the store brands that have disappeared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_retailers_of_the_United_States

What does it mean to us? Yes, of course, just a part of change. A shift of what we do and where we spend our time. It only takes a few minutes of imagining to see how this will affect us all, if not this year, at least in the next ten years. Some retailers will stay, and take up the slack, but we'll continue in a slow moving change, in the lower wage jobs, and in the social structure where Malls have become centers of the social part of our lives.

My take, upon reflection of my career in retail. :greetings10:

Last edited:
So, why do Target, Home Depot, Whole Foods, and Dollar General seem to be expanding and thriving and hiring?

There are some customers who want it NOW (even with Amazon Prime you have to wait a day or two) and some items best bought locally, such as fresh produce. HD carries a lot of items that are clumsy and expensive to ship and deliver.

Interesting distinction, though. Our small town has 2 Dollar General/Family Dollar type stores and they're building yet another one. The population is mostly blue-collar so it may be that they're not willing to shell out for an Amazon Prime membership and they like the excitement of going to the Dollar Store to see what new bargains are in stock.

As for Costco- no high mall rents, for one thing. They're usually off a major highway somewhere. I'm there weekly for food and liquor but really appreciate them for big-ticket items where there's a bewildering variety of choices (mattresses, computers, hearing aids, eyeglasses, tires). I can trust them to narrow their selection down to a few good ones and add a modest markup so I don't have to figure out if I'm getting a good deal.

I buy more and more online every year. But a post above left me curious about two things I can't buy online. Excel makes it easy to summarize our own 2016 spending, just one data point, doesn't prove anything. We weren't even Costco members until two years ago.

Attachments

• ppp.jpg
    ppp.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 24
I would think our graph is similar to Midpack's. On the grocery side the local grocery and Costco would be bigger. No Whole Foods and the Target would be smaller and be replaced by Walmart. Target crashed and burned in Canada after displacing another major retailer. On the gas side, we would be about the same.

Apropos, there was an article today in the Financial Post in Canada about why our retail malls are thriving while American ones suffer.

Even though the paper buys into the mall owners spin on "better design" it mostly comes down to the quantity of retail square footage and penetration. A function of the small size of our population and our large geographic dispersion.

Why Canadian malls are thriving while American ones struggle
Better design and ‘atmosphere’: Why Canadian malls are thriving while American ones struggle | Financial Post

For every action...
NEW YORK (AP) — Amazon plans to hire 100,000 people across the U.S. over the next 18 months.

The online retailer said Thursday that the jobs are full time and come with benefits. Many of the new jobs will be at fulfillment centers currently being built in a number of states, including California, Florida and Texas.

Amazon.com Inc. says it's expanded its U.S. workforce by more than 150,000 people in the last five years

The hiring surge comes as traditional retailers cut jobs and close stores.

Amazon plans to hire 100,000 over the next 18 months

Why Canadian malls are thriving while American ones struggle | Financial Post

Interesting. I'm headed to Toronto in May after not having been there for years- used to be a business destination. I was planning a nostalgic trip to Eaton Centre. Glad to see it's still there.

Interesting. I'm headed to Toronto in May after not having been there for years- used to be a business destination. I was planning a nostalgic trip to Eaton Centre. Glad to see it's still there.

Yes, it's still busy after all these years, and outlived the Eaton's department store brand. From Wikipedia:

"Despite the controversy and criticisms, the centre was an immediate success, spawning many different shopping centres across Canada bearing the same brand name of Eaton. The mall's profits were said to be so lucrative that it has often been credited with keeping the troubled Eaton's chain afloat for another two decades before it succumbed to bankruptcy in 1999. Today, the Eaton Centre is one of North America's top shopping destinations, and is Toronto's most popular tourist attraction."

The closest mall to me (very high end) kicked its movie theaters out about twenty years or so ago--the retail space was turned into more profitable stores. Today it has opened a brand new huge multiscreen theater component within the mall, including lots of new restaurants. Guess the movie theaters are more profitable now, or at least are a marketing ploy to entice new stores ("look how many customers our theaters bring in!").

The Macy's used to be Marshall Field's and I have walked through there once, shortly before Christmas, on the way to my car. Not a thing has been updated in the ten years since the Macy's name was slapped on it, and it was in dire need of a facelift even then. It was not crowded even though Christmas was ten days away, but it is likely one of Macy's more profitable stores so I imagine it will not be closed.

Malls killed the downtowns of many small cities and towns; big box stores are killing the malls; Amazon is killing the big box stores. What next....

Malls killed the downtowns of many small cities and towns; big box stores are killing the malls; Amazon is killing the big box stores. What next....

I predict drone warehouses, a constant buzzing of drones in the sky, drone crashes, accidental beheadings due to drones, and a resurgence of small specialty stores downtown. Other than that, we will go back to the land. :LOL:

While reading about the downfall of Sears I learned the online shopping site they've been pushing for years is shopyourway.com. That I'd not heard of that site before reading about the parent company's doom succinctly illustrates the Sears problem, and perhaps that of other traditional retailers.

I predict drone warehouses, a constant buzzing of drones in the sky, drone crashes, accidental beheadings due to drones, and a resurgence of small specialty stores downtown. Other than that, we will go back to the land. :LOL:

Drones--I can't wait! :LOL:

Maybe a form of Etsy is the next evolution--individuals making and selling stuff one thing at a time, now online, perhaps opening up the small specialty stores downtown.

Drones--I can't wait! :LOL:

Maybe a form of Etsy is the next evolution--individuals making and selling stuff one thing at a time, now online, perhaps opening up the small specialty stores downtown.

Drone traffic will decrease when 3D printers become commodities. We will order the blueprints electronically and will print our own gadgets at home. This will save transportation and packaging. The trucking industry will shrink.

If you wonder why goods are so expensive in remote areas, take a look at this blog by Trucker Josh, a Canadian trucker who has just taken his first trip up the Alaska Highway.

https://youtu.be/I0E4xxAEiA0

https://youtu.be/zoTMap1S7qg

Last edited:
Where we live gas is expensive. Sometimes the weather is not great. Stores are often understaffed or staffed by people who either no little about what they are selling or are completely indifferent to customers.

Our on line shopping has increased substantially for all of the above reasons plus much better price/selection options that we get from on line purchases.

We also buy from Costco. No sales help but that is not much different from many of the so called full service mall stores. Lower prices and a return policy that is unmatched.

No wonder traditional retail is dying. There are some smart specialized retailers in our area who have twigged to the fact that if you provide excellent service and a good selection in a narrower range of product that customers will come. This is something that the Sears of the world have not been able to accomplish for decades. They are paying the price.

There are some customers who want it NOW (even with Amazon Prime you have to wait a day or two) and some items best bought locally, such as fresh produce. HD carries a lot of items that are clumsy and expensive to ship and deliver.

Interesting distinction, though. Our small town has 2 Dollar General/Family Dollar type stores and they're building yet another one. The population is mostly blue-collar so it may be that they're not willing to shell out for an Amazon Prime membership and they like the excitement of going to the Dollar Store to see what new bargains are in stock.

As for Costco- no high mall rents, for one thing. They're usually off a major highway somewhere. I'm there weekly for food and liquor but really appreciate them for big-ticket items where there's a bewildering variety of choices (mattresses, computers, hearing aids, eyeglasses, tires). I can trust them to narrow their selection down to a few good ones and add a modest markup so I don't have to figure out if I'm getting a good deal.

Do you ever walk thru a dollar store, you'd be amazed at what you find. Greeting cards 2/$1..overstock hardcover books, and a huge array of good cleaning products. overstock of some great imported cookies/crackers..I probably go to physically shop at my grocery store..Aldi's and the dollar store..that's about it.

Malls killed the downtowns of many small cities and towns; big box stores are killing the malls; Amazon is killing the big box stores. What next...
Drone traffic will decrease when 3D printers become commodities. We will order the blueprints electronically and will print our own gadgets at home. This will save transportation and packaging. The trucking industry will shrink.
+1. Drones will bring you input filament for your 3D printer. You'll download data files online, until you learn to do it yourself. And you won't need a car anymore, it will be like choosing to own a horse today...

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned Sears. There is a small Sears desperately hanging on in a nearby mall. We used to go there all the time to buy gym clothes, athletic shoes for Mr. A., and the occasional appliance or tool.

Nowadays, we avoid the store. Their stock, if you can find what you want, is OK, but their help is...unhelpful, in the oddest way. On the surface, they act incredibly helpful and interested in customers. They swarm all over you, offering this and that service, but it's all useless and wastes time. They heavily push various incentives - points, payment plans - that turn out to be useless. They conduct time-consuming "database searches" for products that turn out not to exist. Checkout counters are always backed up due to all the "services" they try to sell each customer. I respect that these folks are doing what the company tells them, and trying to earn a living, but the store puts us off these days.

Amethyst

Where we live gas is expensive. Sometimes the weather is not great. Stores are often understaffed or staffed by people who either no little about what they are selling or are completely indifferent to customers.

Our on line shopping has increased substantially for all of the above reasons plus much better price/selection options that we get from on line purchases.

We also buy from Costco. No sales help but that is not much different from many of the so called full service mall stores. Lower prices and a return policy that is unmatched.

No wonder traditional retail is dying. There are some smart specialized retailers in our area who have twigged to the fact that if you provide excellent service and a good selection in a narrower range of product that customers will come. This is something that the Sears of the world have not been able to accomplish for decades. They are paying the price.

Funny you mentioned Sears. There is a small Sears desperately hanging on in a nearby mall. We used to go there all the time to buy gym clothes, athletic shoes for Mr. A., and the occasional appliance or tool.

Nowadays, we avoid the store. Their stock, if you can find what you want, is OK, but their help is...unhelpful, in the oddest way. On the surface, they act incredibly helpful and interested in customers. They swarm all over you, offering this and that service, but it's all useless and wastes time. They heavily push various incentives - points, payment plans - that turn out to be useless. They conduct time-consuming "database searches" for products that turn out not to exist. Checkout counters are always backed up due to all the "services" they try to sell each customer. I respect that these folks are doing what the company tells them, and trying to earn a living, but the store puts us off these days.

Amethyst

You just reminded me of my major pet peeve with Target, upselling the Red card at the end of the customer check out. I with my handful of items DO NOT want to stand there while someone opens a CC account...move em off to the side or open another register.

You just reminded me of my major pet peeve with Target, upselling the Red card at the end of the customer check out. I with my handful of items DO NOT want to stand there while someone opens a CC account...move em off to the side or open another register.

I actually have a Red Card debit card version. 5% off every order. Combine that with already near-Walmart prices and 5% - 15% off lots of items using the Target Cartwheel app and one can save some impressive jack at the Super Target for minimal hassle and no paper coupon clipping. I think I got my card online so didn't make people wait for me. I have to say, I'm a fan.

It will be a while before Amazon has a drone that can deliver a bag of manure to my backyard.

Also, when will we see a 3-D printer that can turn out [-]a smartphone[/-] an AM radio? Oh, forget that, let's just see one that can print out a metallic object. Or must everything be made out of plastic? :)

Back
Top Bottom