Retirement Strategy for Pensioner w/ no survivorship - Put hubby in Freezer + Notary

Very bizarre. How did she get him in the freezer?

I'd want to know if he died first or not. Maybe just take a lot of drugs, climb in, never wake up?

This one is quite high in the 'creative ways to die' category, also the 'how not to get caught' criminal activity category.

Definitely a creative new wrinkle on how to provide for a surviving spouse.

Dead lift?

Edit: I remember a similar case in the LaCrosse area some years ago -- only in that instance, a son who lived with his mother loaded her corpse into the freezer so he could continue to collect her social security.

Here's a link to an interview with the guy: https://lacrossetribune.com/news/from-tribune-files-the-man-behind-french-island-s-freezer/article_b323456e-834b-5edf-955b-963b516db028.html

Last edited:
Yes it’s fraud, not good. Surprised it doesn’t happen more often. Clearly they planned it together. Now she’s dead too, doubt there is a way to recover any of the ill gotten gain.

Sounds like desperation because she couldn’t survive on a reduced SS. I find it sad that someone has to even be in that situation.

Not protecting the spouse with a joint annuity is foolish and led them to commit fraud. The spouse had to sign off on it also, so she is also foolish.

No, it's not good. She/they committed fraud, plain and simple.

Yep, sure did.

What're they gonna do about it? Sue? Ha!

Don't get me wrong, I'm as hard-core "law 'n order" as anyone, but they worked out a plan that covered her needs after his demise. And hey, it worked! It's kind of hard to fault that.

Sometimes I just have to smile at the creativity. There's a lot worse in the world that doesn't get prosecuted so this kind of thing goes in the "small stuff" category that isn't worth getting worked up about.

Sometimes I just have to smile at the creativity. There's a lot worse in the world that doesn't get prosecuted so this kind of thing goes in the "small stuff" category that isn't worth getting worked up about.

I'll give you that. :)

Yep, sure did.

What're they gonna do about it? Sue? Ha!

Don't get me wrong, I'm as hard-core "law 'n order" as anyone, but they worked out a plan that covered her needs after his demise. And hey, it worked! It's kind of hard to fault that.

Yep, they could sue her estate which if there is anything she wanted to leave to her heirs would be tied up in probate for quite a long time.

When my grandfather died my grandmother's household income dropped from ~$3000 to ~$1200...so not surprised these types of things happen.

I've met plenty of U.S. expats south of the border who were clearly living on nothing more than SS & have always wondered how many surviving spouses down there just arrange for a quick local burial & never notify the local consulate?

We were having dinner with my son last night and he brought up this story. He said people were posting about fraud and his thought is that it’s a shame people are put in this position and he was empathetic. I was so proud of him.

Yep, they could sue her estate which if there is anything she wanted to leave to her heirs would be tied up in probate for quite a long time.

If she had enough money lying around to leave to heirs, she probably wouldn't have needed the extra $1500/mo (estimate)

If she had enough money lying around to leave to heirs, she probably wouldn't have needed the extra $1500/mo (estimate)

It's an assumption that she "needed" the $1500/mo. Since she is dead, we may never know her intentions.

It's an assumption that she "needed" the $1500/mo. Since she is dead, we may never know her intentions.

Well, if you don't need it, I guess she could be just really greedy. Just seems like an extreme step to take if you had enough money lying around to leave an estate to your children.

Well, if you don't need it, I guess she could be just really greedy. Just seems like an extreme step to take if you had enough money lying around to leave an estate to your children.
She had a lot of stuff lying around.

Back
Top Bottom