RIP Kobe Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Familiar with the name of course, although I couldn't have said what sport he was associated with......sad situation.....confirms that you just never know. Sad.

I recognized the name from past Web headlines, but did not know what he did until I looked it up.

Which is why I think it is best to retire as soon as you are financially able/comfortable to retire.

And stay away from small aircraft, particularly helicopters. And don't own fast cars either. So many people die in vehicular accidents. I have read many stories about entire families getting wiped out in absurd accidents, but they merited only a few lines in the newspaper. Very sad.

I was out of town when got a text by someone tell me about this. Still in shock and difficult to grasp when such a well know celebrity's life ends so suddenly.

News conference reports up to nine people dead, but no official report of names until the coroner does an official identification and notification of family.

News conference reports up to nine people dead, but no official report of names until the coroner does an official identification and notification of family.
It's a shame. Living in Philly suburbs where he grew up, I Always liked him. Though a local friend reminded me of his past troubles with the law. Not the time but ...

Was lucky enough to see him play live many times. He was something to watch. RIP to him and the other who perished.

I recognized the name from past Web headlines, but did not know what he did until I looked it up.

And stay away from small aircraft, particularly helicopters. And don't own fast cars either. So many people die in vehicular accidents. I have read many stories about entire families getting wiped out in absurd accidents, but they merited only a few lines in the newspaper. Very sad.

I just read about a month ago of an entire family that died in a plane wreck in SD.
A bad accident and sad for all the lives and my heart goes out to the families. To me he was just another human life and I don't idealize people and worship one as many do for what they did. I look at him as just another life here on earth no better then the next person.
RIP

I kind of lost touch with the NBA after Bird and Magic retired. Certainly after Jordan's retirement but I know how great of a player Kobe was and can appreciate everything he accomplished on the court. Terrible day for all the families involved. RIP......

Sounds like 2 fathers and 2 daughters, and the pilot. People gathering in LA and elsewhere to grieve.

They announced that there were 9 people, not 5. I'm assuming 4 fathers and 4 daughters. Makes sense since they were on their way to a basketball practice.

I hope Kobe's wife does good things with his money. Kobe was not only a great player but a great person who did a lot of good for his community.

Appeared to turn his life around. Loved watching his last game when he scored 60 points.
As stated, retire when you can as you never know.

So sad. I saw him play live once. The Lakers were the visiting team and lost. He still had a great game. Our seats were near where the players leave the court. As he left, all of the fans in that area, including those rooting for the home team, applauded and cheered him. He stopped to smile and wave to everyone around. Shook a few hands of folks who were near the rails. A nice gesture to acknowledge the fans even in defeat. RIP

They announced that there were 9 people, not 5. I'm assuming 4 fathers and 4 daughters. Makes sense since they were on their way to a basketball practice.

One report was father, mother, and daughter died (dad was a
baseball coach)

Three fathers, three daughters, one mother, pilot now reported.

Sad. But to be fair if a helicopter crashed with 8 or 9 people on it that didn't include any celebrities, would it even be reported nationally?

Sad. But to be fair if a helicopter crashed with 8 or 9 people on it that didn't include any celebrities, would it even be reported nationally?

People here RIP all the time for musicians and other celebrities (a Monty Python comedian, recently)—would we hear of their deaths and mourn them for a minute or so had they not achieved something in their lives and become part of a collective consciousness?

I was at the Sage Hill high school basketball game on Wednesday. Kobe's oldest daughter is on the team. Kobe wasn't present, not sure if the deceased daughter was.

I was there because my daughter played against Sage Hill that evening.

People here RIP all the time for musicians and other celebrities (a Monty Python comedian, recently)—would we hear of their deaths and mourn them for a minute or so had they not achieved something in their lives and become part of a collective consciousness?
I'm not a basketball fan, or even a Kobe Bryant fan. But I recognize when an individual achieves extraordinary things with their ability and effort.

Hearing of this accident actually made me queasy for an hour or so. I'm not entirely sure why, but all the victims' families face an uphill battle.

Sad and shocking, but life is uncertain. I haven’t much followed basketball since MJ retired, but Kobe was one of the greats.

We make too much of celebrity, but that’s never going to change. Everyone who died in the crash leaves behind grieving families and friends, Kobe no more or less.

Last edited:
I'm not a basketball fan, or even a Kobe Bryant fan. But I recognize when an individual achieves extraordinary things with their ability and effort.

Hearing of this accident actually made me queasy for an hour or so. I'm not entirely sure why, but all the victims' families face an uphill battle.

You’re right. Something like this changes the surviving individuals and whole families. It’s not a passing news event for them but will be a lifelong impact. Very sad.

While most dead people are missed by those who know them, celebrities are known by more people, and have more fans missing them. This is completely normal.

My father's funeral was attended by many people, more than 100, as he was the founder of a couple of associations. When I die, it will be just my family and close relatives.

Last edited:
Is the mourning completely for someone they never met, or is it because another chip has been removed from their own memory?

Major sports figures, especially those few rare ones who achieve and sustain greatness for years/decades, have a much wider impact than "celebrities". There is a generation of younger men (and women) who grew up watching the NBA, inspired and influenced by KB, and his impact on young girls now with the junior WNBA hopefuls was just gaining traction. Millions who can tell you they remember watching a game and saying "i wanna be like him" when I grow up.

He was in living rooms, his shoes on feet, his jerseys on countless backs of a generation. Far broader impact than even the most accomplished actors or musicians or any other celebrity category.

For those that passionately follow football, it's equivalent to if this had happened to Tom Brady and one of his children.

I cannot imagine what his family is going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom