Road Rage Uptick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of road incidents, I was driving my motorcycle home from work years ago on the interstate. As I was passing a truck I felt a spray of liquid on me and on my windshield. I was startled and couldn't figure out where that came from or what it was but I could hardly pull over in traffic. As I continued on past the truck, I realized it was a cattle truck and one of it's passengers relieved themselves. Beware cattle trucks!:facepalm:

I used to drive in Chicago and the suburbs. Three tickets in one summer. It's a racket. Everyone speeds and they just pick a car and then issue a ticket. PITA. You have to go to court and the cop rarely shows up. Pay and move on.

In VA if the cop doesn't show up your case gets dismissed (or it used to be that way. I haven't had a ticket in over a decade). That's why I always used to go to court. Avoided a number of points and fines that way. I guess they assume most people will just pay by mail.

I realized it was a cattle truck and one of it's passengers relieved themselves.

At least you had a windshield and heading home. We were heading to TN for the Trail Of Tears ride several years ago... beautiful clear skies, and began hitting periods of very light springles... Once the odor identified the source, We backed off and hit the next exit to wash up in the gas station sink, topped up fuel and took a stretch.
2 exits later.... we run into him getting back on the interstate. I believe thats the fastest I ever ran that bike....

Last edited:
Our state legislature (NE) just passed a law permitting concealed carry without a permit, something the criminals already do of course. We may not just be throwing bottles from now on...
Florida is right behind you with no permit gun carry in the legislature wings.

All of this makes me glad that I ride a bicycle.

This is why I don't ride a bicycle. Here people just get run over !

If they had REAL bike lanes that cars couldn't drive on/enter/swerve, I'd ride my bike.

You would need to be more careful in Florida riding a bike. It is #1 of all the states for bike rider deaths from cars.
I also quit riding a motorcycle for the same reason.

Cheers!

In VA if the cop doesn't show up your case gets dismissed (or it used to be that way. I haven't had a ticket in over a decade). That's why I always used to go to court. Avoided a number of points and fines that way. I guess they assume most people will just pay by mail.

Yes, this was in the mid-nineties. Now that I think about it, the courtroom was always packed. Rumor was if the cop didn't show up it was thrown out. But I still had the tickets on my record and still had to pay. Some laws if you go for 30 days without another ticket it's dropped from your record. Fuzzy memory about the law at that time.

What I remember is every car driving alongside me, and there were many, were going just as fast if not faster and he'd point that laser on just one pull one over, me. I'd politely say things like the flow of traffic is faster than the speed limit and get a stern look. Never got a dime for sitting in traffic for a couple of hours. They should have paid me for that.

What I remember is every car driving alongside me, and there were many, were going just as fast if not faster and he'd point that laser on just one pull one over, me. I'd politely say things like the flow of traffic is faster than the speed limit and get a stern look. Never got a dime for sitting in traffic for a couple of hours. They should have paid me for that.

Everyone else is doing it is not a valid excuse to break the law. Going over the maximum legal speed is illegal regardless of what the flow of traffic is. If they are all going over the limit then they are all breaking the law. One officer can't pull over more than one vehicle at a time so they have to start somewhere.

Everyone else is doing it is not a valid excuse to break the law. Going over the maximum legal speed is illegal regardless of what the flow of traffic is. If they are all going over the limit then they are all breaking the law. One officer can't pull over more than one vehicle at a time so they have to start somewhere.

Something to think about....

Cops don't make a decision as to if you broke a law or not, even though it is visually evident in their judgement. The decision on guilt is usually decided by the judge in a court.

Paying the ticket charge is the admission of guilt. Going to court gives you options, especially in close judgement cases.

Live NE of Cincinnati. Semi-rural but being built up like most areas.

Lots of bicycle riders here. We have a great Little Miami Scenic bicycle Trail that runs close to us. It's exceptional and spans a lot of SW Ohio.

Yet, we have numerous bicycles on our two-lane highways. It's amazing the risk these folks are taking! Why? I've witnessed too many close calls to even recall.

In a previous location, I had a great multi-county bicycle trail just a 1/4 mile below my house. However, I had to bike three blocks on a two-lane highway to get there. It scared the crap out of me!!!

Too many crazy drivers out there to do this anymore. IMO.

Last edited:
Ha ha, in that case I would have been driving 1/4 mile with my bike on a rack!

Fortunately we have some very low traffic roads close to here and a paved bicycle trail that you can do 10 miles round trip. Plus a State Park nearby with miles of roads that is closed to vehicular traffic except for a very few state park vehicles. Neighborhood is fine too - 55+, wide roads and almost no traffic.

Outside of this no way!

That is not my take although I admit my sample size is small. The main road going thru my town is 35mph. I often go 39 and about half the time I am passing people. If i go on the interstate where the speed limit is 70 and go the same 4 over I would be slower than 95%+ of the drivers. Most are going over 80. The secondary highway with a 65 speed limit almost everyone goes 75+, I go 65-69. I'm sure things are different everywhere you go.

That reminds me of a cousin's story that always makes me chuckle. Cousin and wife moved from Atlanta GA to San Francisco, CA so he could go to a private tech school, get a 2 yr BA-equivalent degree. He was almost finished with school when his MIL came to visit.

After her visit ended, the four of us got together and they told us her MIL was unnerved by their driving in town. She finally exclaimed, "Don't you ever actually stop at the stop signs?!?"

They looked at her, puzzled. "What? We slowed down to 10 mph!"

Second story:
On another forum a couple of years ago, somebody remarked they had just visited California and "everybody speeds there! Those freeways were terrifying - everybody was going 80mph!" (obviously it wasn't rush hour, LOL).

I replied, tongue only halfway in cheek, "Well, you see, we treat those 65 mph signs as suggestions..."

Actually- I was super impressed a few years ago on a rural Nebraska highway when a State Patrol pulled over us and the car ahead of us in a single stop and gave us both speeding tickets. Asked him if he was going to brag about getting a “double “ to his coworkers. He admitted he absolutely would.

For the bicycle riders on this thread, I would suggest you check out https://cyclingsavvy.org/ if you live in an area that has few if any bike infrastructure. Their mission is to teach the safest approaches for bicycling without unique bicycling infrastructure. For example, when biking on two lane road without a bike lane, they suggest riding where a motor vehicle’s right tire track would be. Far enough toward the middle of the road that you are easily visible. Do not try to hug the curb.

BTW, most bike/motor vehicle collisions happen at intersections. So while it feels scary to have a vehicle pass you on a straight part of the road, do your best to take extra care at intersections by watching for turning cars. Motorists are making many decisions about their safety sometimes causing them to not even notice a cyclist. Use eye contact and stay as visible as possible.

If you want your city to look more like the Netherlands, look for your local bike advocacy group. They will welcome your support.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've also noticed that many of the well established driving rules now appear to be optional. Some of it isn't new - for example, seems few have ever known how 4-way stops work. And over the last week, I've seen several people turn left on a Red Left Arrow, which in TX is only allowed when you're on a one-way street and the street you're turning onto is also one-way. Also seeing more people stop at a red light, then proceed through the intersection.

Kinda like driving in southern Italy. :LOL:

For the bicycle riders on this thread, I would suggest you check out https://cyclingsavvy.org/ if you live in an area that has few if any bike infrastructure. Their mission is to teach the safest approaches for bicycling without unique bicycling infrastructure. For example, when biking on two lane road without a bike lane, they suggest riding where a motor vehicle’s right tire track would be. Far enough toward the middle of the road that you are easily visible. Do not try to hug the curb.

BTW, most bike/motor vehicle collisions happen at intersections. So while it feels scary to have a vehicle pass you on a straight part of the road, do your best to take extra care at intersections by watching for turning cars. Motorists are making many decisions about their safety sometimes causing them to not even notice a cyclist. Use eye contact and stay as visible as possible.

If you want your city to look more like the Netherlands, look for your local bike advocacy group. They will welcome your support.

Thanks. As both a cyclist and somebody who drives a car, it can be pretty scary. Pet peeve is the car that passes me and then wants to turn right into a driveway. They stop before turning and now I have to figure out if they're going to actually wait for me to pass them in the bike lane or not. I either stop or slow down and attempt to waive them on. When I'm in automobile driving mode, I just hang back and let the cyclist pass the driveway before turning. Costs me a couple of seconds at most...

Cheers

I haven't noticed much driving rage increase but I was brake checked recently by someone after changing lanes to give space to an emergency vehicle on the shoulder... it was a minor check -not slamming on brakes hard but caused me to brake. Oddly, my lane change didn't even cause them to slow down as they were way behind me then... yes I constantly scan my mirrors. It was surprising when they cut me off and braked after I was back in the right lane.

I have noticed and encountered a few aggressive drivers recently while on bicycle (city streets 25mph or less with lots of signage/lane markings reminding drivers that bikes have the right to use the lanes) 3/4 have been commercial vehicles requiring CDL which makes it worse IMO. I really want my City PD to send out unmarked bike cops. We do have bike cops but I doubt they'd do the same to a cop in uniform.

Yeah, I've also noticed that many of the well established driving rules now appear to be optional. Some of it isn't new - for example, seems few have ever known how 4-way stops work. And over the last week, I've seen several people turn left on a Red Left Arrow, which in TX is only allowed when you're on a one-way street and the street you're turning onto is also one-way. Also seeing more people stop at a red light, then proceed through the intersection.

Kinda like driving in southern Italy. :LOL:

Running red lights is back in vogue down this way in The Woodlands again now that the red light cameras have been removed! :LOL:

Live NE of Cincinnati. Semi-rural but being built up like most areas.

Lots of bicycle riders here. We have a great Little Miami Scenic bicycle Trail that runs close to us. It's exceptional and spans a lot of SW Ohio.

Yet, we have numerous bicycles on our two-lane highways. It's amazing the risk these folks are taking! Why? I've witnessed too many close calls to even recall.

In a previous location, I had a great multi-county bicycle trail just a 1/4 mile below my house. However, I had to bike three blocks on a two-lane highway to get there. It scared the crap out of me!!!

Too many crazy drivers out there to do this anymore. IMO.

Cincinnati cyclist here. I often ride out in your area. I enjoy getting out to ride the hills and the usually more peaceful roads to take a break from my city riding. It can definitely be a bit unnerving riding along with cars. You get somewhat used to it, but I always try and pay attention. Most people are fairly cool, but every so often you'll get some blowhard with an ax to grind.

Running red lights is back in vogue down this way in The Woodlands again now that the red light cameras have been removed! :LOL:

Same here in South Fl, and for the same reason.

When driving in AZ I wait a few seconds while I check both directions after the light has turned green and before I cross the intersection. It’s not uncommon for people to blow through red lights up to 3 seconds after they get the red and I get the green.

We live in a smaller town outside a larger city, usually quiet, but we still try to do our errands on weekdays between 10-2. But lately, stores and parking lots seem busier during the day than they have been.
Try to avoid crazy, busy driving times and drivers.
People don't know how to merge anymore, either to let folks in (they don't around here) or to merge themselves. I guess that's a pet peeve of mine.

We have plenty of road rage to go around, here in New Orleans. Between that, growing old, and not needing to go much of anywhere any more, I tend to stay off the roads a whole lot more than I once did. Fine with me.

I'd rather sell my car and not drive at all any more, but sometimes I do need it so I am putting that off.

I typically give everyone else the right of way. Wave-friendly at 4-way stops. I'm in no hurry, ever.

Good Samaritan drivers are often not good drivers. When you're at a stop sign you should go when it's your turn, waving other people ahead just causes confusion and annoys the people behind you.

When driving in AZ I wait a few seconds while I check both directions after the light has turned green and before I cross the intersection. It’s not uncommon for people to blow through red lights up to 3 seconds after they get the red and I get the green.

I do the same thin for the same reason. Seen several accidents due to this.

Good Samaritan drivers are often not good drivers. When you're at a stop sign you should go when it's your turn, waving other people ahead just causes confusion and annoys the people behind you.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Many people just seem bewildered at 4-way stops, so they sit there until everyone else has gone through.

Our county installed several roundabouts when they improved a road near our home (roundabouts are not common in our area). The view of oncoming traffic is hindered by houses and fences near the intersection. It is a white knuckle experience driving through that. Some drivers slow down to proceed while others just dive into the intersection. I have been looking for car crash debris but noting yet. To top it off, they built a high school nearby and the exits from the high school lead to the roundabouts. The new school opens in the fall. We'll see how high school drivers navigate through these. Interesting,,,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom