Road Rage Self-Check?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am not asking or recommending anyone divulge their status, just presenting data on driving behavior if you want to see where you fall [or what your risk is of being a target of various road rage behaviors].

A significant number of U.S. drivers reported engaging in angry and aggressive behaviors over the past year, according to the study’s estimates (of 204 million drivers:
  • Purposefully tailgating: 51 percent (104 million drivers)
  • Yelling at another driver: 47 percent (95 million drivers)
  • Honking to show annoyance or anger: 45 percent (91 million drivers)
  • Making angry gestures: 33 percent (67 million drivers)
  • Trying to block another vehicle from changing lanes: 24 percent (49 million drivers)
  • Cutting off another vehicle on purpose: 12 percent (24 million drivers)
  • Getting out of the vehicle to confront another driver: 4 percent (7.6 million drivers)
  • Bumping or ramming another vehicle on purpose: 3 percent (5.7 million drivers)
Nearly 2 in 3 drivers believe that aggressive driving is a bigger problem today than three years ago, while nine out of ten believe aggressive drivers are a serious threat to their personal safety.

Aggressive driving and road rage varied considerably among drivers:
  • Male and younger drivers ages 19-39 were significantly more likely to engage in aggressive behaviors. For example, male drivers were more than three times as likely as female drivers to have gotten out of a vehicle to confront another driver or rammed another vehicle on purpose.
  • Drivers living in the Northeast were significantly more likely to yell, honk or gesture angrily than people living in other parts of the country. For example, drivers in the Northeast were nearly 30 percent more likely to have made an angry gesture than drivers in other parts of the country.
  • Drivers who reported other unsafe behaviors behind the wheel, such as speeding and running red lights, also were more likely to show aggression. For example, drivers who reported speeding on a freeway in the past month were four times more likely to have cut off another vehicle on purpose.

Nearly 80 Percent of Drivers Express Significant Anger, Aggression or Road Rage | AAA NewsRoom

Purposefully tailgating: Have done
Yelling at another driver: Have done
Honking to show annoyance or anger: Have done
Making angry gestures: Have done
Trying to block another vehicle from changing lanes: Don't do
Cutting off another vehicle on purpose: Have done (in the sense of "cutting you off as I merge in front of you at a faster speed than you because you pissed me off by blocking faster traffic in the left lane
Getting out of the vehicle to confront another driver: Have wanted to do
Bumping or ramming another vehicle on purpose: Have wanted to do

99% of my "road rage" would be eliminated if people could follow the simple rule of "slower traffic keep right".

I have honked, but that's about it.

Overtaking a slowpoke in the passing lane, from the right lane, and then slowing right down.......but I've changed my ways over the [-]years[/-] decades.

I honk . When I lived in New Jersey I saw someone get out of his car with a tire iron to confront the car in front of him .That is serious road rage .

Is it really more common to purposefully tailgate than to honk or yell? One would put me in danger every time, the other rarely would. I don't think honking or yelling is really road rage unless you do it often or an excessive amount (like holding down the horn). A quick "Hey!" or a tap on the horn doesn't seem rage-y to me.

That being said, I don't really do any of these. I've had passengers yell at me because I'm not fast enough on the horn. It seems to me that my first priority should be protecting my car and the people inside, not expressing displeasure. But I get that sometimes a horn is helpful.

I had someone sit in the right lane at a traffic light and not make the turn when the light turned green. I honked. The guy got out, opened his jacket to show me a revolver stuck in his waistband. That one incident makes me think twice now.

Last edited:
Is it really more common to purposefully tailgate than to honk or yell? One would put me in danger every time, the other rarely would. I don't think honking or yelling is really road rage unless you do it often or an excessive amount (like holding down the horn). A quick "Hey!" or a tap on the horn doesn't seem rage-y to me.
+1, surprised me too. I've honked occasionally, I'd never tailgate. For those who may, the tailgater is at fault if you rear end someone, even if they brake. The onus to maintain safe distance is always on the car behind.

Last edited:
Define "engaging in". If some one tailgates me, was I "engaging in" that (it takes two to tango)?

Purposefully tailgating: No, why would I? - Have had it done to me, I hate it!

Yelling at another driver: Sure, and they deserved worse! :) I assume I have had it done to me, I'm not good at reading lips.

Honking to show annoyance or anger: I don't think so - I honk to warn someone of danger, or to wake them up - Have had it done to me.

Making angry gestures: Sure, and they deserved worse! :) Have had it done to me - and I didn't deserve it, of course! :angel:

Trying to block another vehicle from changing lanes: Don't do

Cutting off another vehicle on purpose: Not sure - possibly, if they were really in the wrong, trying to squeeze in some place they didn't belong, and only at walking speeds.

Getting out of the vehicle to confront another driver: Have wanted to do, had some one do that to me, but only because they didn't understand why I was doing what I was doing, and it was OK after I explained (waiting for traffic to clear ahead in a snow storm, rather than join in the mess - you had to be there to follow it)

Bumping or ramming another vehicle on purpose: Have wanted to do - almost every time I'm out! Some fool deserves it! But I refrain.

-ERD50

I've never done any of that stuff and never will.

my commutes were always so short I just honked until I saw movement

Nearly 2 in 3 drivers believe that aggressive driving is a bigger problem today than three years ago, while nine out of ten believe aggressive drivers are a serious threat to their personal safety.
Most people believe violent crime and murder rates are going up, that children are being snatched out of parked cars and off the streets in record numbers, and many other pseudo-statistics that are demonstrably false. I disregard articles with self-reported statistics whenever possible.

Of course nearly everyone has occasionally or constantly performed some or all of these angry driving acts (only the last two are road rage IMO). But I'd add a number of more passive aggressive activities to the list too, like driving slow in the left lane, passing at a fraction of a mph over the person being passed, etc.

I used to be an angry driver, and I still drive fairly fast and change lanes without signaling. If you signal in the DC area, it gives the other drivers a heads up to block you out. But as far as truly aggressive behavior (screaming, gesturing, chasing, etc) I gave that up long ago. I still give a disgusted head shake when I see someone doing something really dumb, which annoys DW and doesn't do any good otherwise. That's about it.

I had someone sit in the right lane at a traffic light and not make the turn when the light turned green. I honked. The guy got out, opened his jacket to show me a revolver stuck in his waistband. That one incident makes me think twice now.

He's pretty stupid. If you were LE or LE saw what he did, that's about brandishing a weapon. State I was trained in says that is a felony.

You could have felt legitimately in fear for your life and taken protective action. You could have run him over way before he could have used a weapon. You'd of probably had time for another pass in reverse.

He's pretty stupid. If you were LE or LE saw what he did, that's about brandishing a weapon. State I was trained in says that is a felony.

You could have felt legitimately in fear for your life and taken protective action. You could have run him over way before he could have used a weapon. You'd of probably had time for another pass in reverse.

In some places it's not a crime at all. Many states, like mine, allow legal open carrying of weapons hence there is no "brandishing" law to break. Being attacked for not breaking any laws would provide such a person with a reasonable defense for use of deadly force if attacked by a vehicle that had already exhibited "aggression" however. Just food for thought in case anyone is ever in a state where firearm rights are more prevalent than some other areas.

Purposefully tailgating: Just briefly. If they are in the passing lane and not passing. Sometimes I give them the brights
Yelling at another driver: No, but I've been yelled at. It wasn't my fault. My wife didn't exit the car fast enough.
Honking to show annoyance or anger: I'd say two times a month
Making angry gestures: Three times a month. If I signal to let you know I'm going to pass on the left, and you speed up and cut me off, you are getting my finger.
Trying to block another vehicle from changing lanes: If it's warranted. I've got places to go and people to see as well, buddy.
Cutting off another vehicle on purpose: Only if they are dawdling in the passing lane.
Getting out of the vehicle to confront another driver: That's not road rage, that's just plain stupid.
Bumping or ramming another vehicle on purpose: C'mon, nobody does that.

If you pull out on to the road and cause me to slow down considerably only to exit a mile later, you're going to get the horn.

I don't care if your brights are on or not, if your lights are blinding me, you're going to get my brights for the duration of our passing in the night.

There is no doubt in my mind that the highways and byways are safer because of the education I selflessly give to other drivers.

I've honked to get someone to look up and see the green light is now on.
I also comment on other drivers, not yelling or anything, just more a comment to the stupidity of people.
I've been tailgated before, at those times I wish I was driving a 20 yr old pickup, and I'd slam on the brakes if the person was driving a nice car. For this reason I don't tailgate as I have come to understand if you tailgate, you are at the mercy of the other person.

I have noticed my driving is less aggressive as i got older and mellowed out.
Once as a 20 something, someone pissed me off, so I followed them 10 miles with my high beams on at night right into a residential neighborhood, probably scared them quite a bit.

Bumping or ramming another vehicle on purpose: C'mon, nobody does that.

If you pull out on to the road and cause me to slow down considerably only to exit a mile later, you're going to get the horn.

I don't care if your brights are on or not, if your lights are blinding me, you're going to get my brights for the duration of our passing in the night.

There is no doubt in my mind that the highways and byways are safer because of the education I selflessly give to other drivers.

No one does it??

...drivers who reported speeding on a freeway in the past month were four times more likely to have cut off another vehicle on purpose.

Given that I tend to be passed by 90% of the cars on the freeway when driving the speed limit in daylight hours, this finding (if valid) is troubling!

I honk . When I lived in New Jersey I saw someone get out of his car with a tire iron to confront the car in front of him .That is serious road rage .
I was waiting to pay toll on the Whitestone Bridge and a guy pulled up on our right and cut in just before the toll booth. They were playing the rage game after the booth and the news that night reported that one guy followed the other to his driveway in Brooklyn and shot him dead in the head.

We have always been mellow after witnessing that event.

Just for the record, when driving in or near big cities, my driving habits change considerably especially in Milwaukee. They do not jail criminals.

Last edited:
Just for the record, when driving in or near big cities, my driving habits change considerably.

There's big city and then there's big city. I was with a guy from Boston who was driving us around KC. I thought he was going to attract a whole posse trying to find this wild man. I mean there's aggressive driving in KC but not like what he was doing.

In all fairness he was a very gentle peaceful person, driving in Boston gave him some techniques most there were unprepared for.

I have noticed my driving is less aggressive as i got older and mellowed out.

+1

There's much less stress now because I am no longer trying to get to work, or under time constraints, so now I just set the speed control a few mph over the limit. Some drivers want to go 10-20 mph over the limit, so I try to find ways to let them pass. I stay out of the left lane, if possible. Life is too short to stress out in the car!

driving in Boston gave him some techniques most there were unprepared for.

I hear ya....7+ years driving in Riyadh did the same for me. :LOL:

I keep my cell on the front seat; whenever there is an a$$hole doing asinine things, I hold my phone up as if I was videoing.

If that guy even tried to pull out that weapon on me, he would have met my bumper.

Back
Top Bottom