Road Rage Self-Check?

If you're not doing this before the light turns & ready to go immediately when it does turn, you're wasting others time & fuel particularly when not all cars get thru the light. I can not stand drivers who don't start moving soon after the light turns. So inconsiderate. You don't have to have a jack rabbit start that risks what you're worried about, but you do need to concentrate & be ready to go.

You missed the point entirely which was to delay driving into the intersection (after the light turned green) in case a car ran the red light from your left or right. Taking off the emergency brake and putting the vehicle into gear will take a 123 count.

I'm not worried about your time or fuel.

A few of these make some sense but a couple are not really practical or even ridiculous.

Example # 5. A car traveling at 40mph travels over 400 feet in 7 seconds. That is well over the length of a football field. (About 1 and 1/3 actually) Can you envision that happening on a Houston freeway (or any big city for that matter) that was moving along at ~40mph? :nonono: Anyone leaving that much space would be hearing lots of horns, seeing lot's of birds (not the flying kind), hear obscenities screamed at them they may have never heard before and would be cutoff countless times every few minutes.

Perhaps a car need a couple less seconds, but just a couple.

I'll agree it's prudent to be watchful, because of the number of a-hole red light runners, but the onus is still on the a-hole to stop. It's not our job to allow another's bad behavior, only to protect our own assets...

Write the a-hole a red light camera ticket a mile long!

Question: Is there an widely-used motorist hand sign for 'sorry'?

Like in case of: oh no, I totally didn't see that guy and just cut him off. Now he's pulling up along side me and will be mouthing obscenities at me for the duration of this red light.

You missed the point entirely which was to delay driving into the intersection (after the light turned green) in case a car ran the red light from your left or right. Taking off the emergency brake and putting the vehicle into gear will take a 123 count.

An accident costs a lot more than savings fuel.

Do you routinely stop when coming to a green light to check for anyone who might be running that red light as well? :confused:

Do you routinely stop when coming to a green light to check for anyone who might be running that red light as well? :confused:

DW used to do that - I called it "asymptotically approaching a green so you miss it" driving style

She clearly stated that she delays moving off after the light turns green, not that she slows and stops at green lights.

Not not after we had moved to Houston a story in the Houston Chronicle told of a woman in court who had gone through a red light and hit another motorist in the junction. Her defence was that the other person had "run a green light", meaning that as far she was aware cars always delayed moving off on green to allow the last ditch red light runners.

She clearly stated that she delays moving off after the light turns green, not that she slows and stops at green lights.

Not not after we had moved to Houston a story in the Houston Chronicle told of a woman in court who had gone through a red light and hit another motorist in the junction. Her defence was that the other person had "run a green light", meaning that as far she was aware cars always delayed moving off on green to allow the last ditch red light runners.

Running a red light is running a red light is my point. There's no real difference between "not going" because you're scared someone might run a red light and "stopping" because you're scared someone might run a red light. Both are "not entering the intersection until you've checked that no one is running the red light". Both are also, coincidentally, likely to result in other drivers having increased levels of anger towards you...

Running a red light is running a red light is my point. There's no real difference between "not going" because you're scared someone might run a red light and "stopping" because you're scared someone might run a red light. Both are "not entering the intersection until you've checked that no one is running the red light". Both are also, coincidentally, likely to result in other drivers having increased levels of anger towards you...

I agree, I was simply pointing out that you were reading something into her post that she did not write or imply.

Yes, it's clear you're not concerned about others' time & fuel usage. So considerate of you.

Last edited:
Roundabouts reduce T-boning chances.

I agree. However most US drivers would need lessons on how to use them. There's one close to our grocery store. I have seen numerous drivers go left at the silly 4 way intersection.:D

I agree. However most US drivers would need lessons on how to use them. There's one close to our grocery store. I have seen numerous drivers go left at the silly 4 way intersection.:D
I learned how to drive roundabouts in England. I admit, we don't have that many roundabouts here.

Roundabouts reduce T-boning chances.

So does the extra traffic phase that the UK has. While waiting at a red light it does not go straight to green but first the amber goes on at the same time as the red, then it goes to green. I remember decades ago there being an advertising campaign, "Don't be an amber gambler", because on Red-Amber the lights in the other lanes have gone to red so going on amber is usually okay, but not always.

The school kids are probably having a field day joking about this one (all except the ones humiliated by their parents). Gotta say, I am more sympathetic to the gun-toter based on what the article presents. The other woman came charging up to her window and she just stayed in her seat and pointed the gun sorta - "don't think about it."

You missed the point entirely which was to delay driving into the intersection (after the light turned green) in case a car ran the red light from your left or right...will take a 123 count.

Yes, it's clear you're not concerned about others' time & fuel usage. So considerate of you.

Maybe some one can help me with this eighth grade math problem:

We have two people driving cars. We will call one driver Aunt tinlizzy and the other driver Uncle gerntz. They are not related.

Gas costs $2.80 a gallon. Uncle gerntz gets 22 miles per gallon, city driving. One day Uncle gerntz finds himself driving behind Aunt tinlizzy. Whenever Aunt tinlizzy is first in line at a red light, she waits three seconds before moving out. The average driver waits one second before moving out. On this day, Aunt tinlizzy is the first driver in line at 18 red lights. For some reason, Uncle gerntz is stuck behind Aunt tinlizzy and is the second driver at the same 18 red lights. How much more money has Aunt tinlizzy cost Uncle gertnz by waiting three seconds as opposed to one second?

For extra credit: how much additional time has Aunt tinlizzy cost Uncle gerntz on this drive?

You may make changes to the question to suit your needs in answering.

Last edited:
someone pauses through a green on me I'm laying on my hellas

Thought I was going to witness one today. Fellow was fueling his pickup and I pull behind him. I hear a guy just cussing the guy out, "you cut my wife off...." a couple of minutes worth and walked off.

I waited till the fellow got into his camper shell asked if he was getting his tire iron? He chuckled saying he never seen the vehicle who's passenger was so riled up.

Maybe some one can help me with this eighth grade math problem:

We have two people driving cars. We will call one driver Aunt tinlizzy and the other driver Uncle gerntz. They are not related.

Gas costs $2.80 a gallon. Uncle gerntz gets 22 miles per gallon, city driving. One day Uncle gerntz finds himself driving behind Aunt tinlizzy. Whenever Aunt tinlizzy is first in line at a red light, she waits three seconds before moving out. The average driver waits one second before moving out. On this day, Aunt tinlizzy is the first driver in line at 18 red lights. For some reason, Uncle gerntz is stuck behind Aunt tinlizzy and is the second driver at the same 18 red lights. How much more money has Aunt tinlizzy cost Uncle gertnz by waiting three seconds as opposed to one second?

For extra credit: how much additional time has Aunt tinlizzy cost Uncle gerntz on this drive?

You may make changes to the question to suit your needs in answering.
But it's not just me. It's the 10 people behind me also. And it's not one day. It's everyday she drives. And, any of us can still get hit by someone running the light whether we wait 1, 3 or 20 seconds. Net, all that's accomplished is wasting time & gas.

I keep an "I'm Sorry" sign handy. :(

The other side reads: "Please send help".

...Aunt tinlizzy is the first driver in line at 18 red lights. For some reason, Uncle gerntz is stuck behind Aunt tinlizzy and is the second driver at the same 18 red lights...

Seems me and Uncle Gerntz have a lot in common ;)

My experience is that it's BECAUSE Aunt Tinlizzy is in no particular hurry to get through the lights that the next one is always turning red just as we get there.

There is a cost to all those extra minutes of idling at each light; time, productivity, fuel and wear and tear.

I know some retirees have a hard time with this concept, but some people really do have a good reason to get somewhere on time. It's kinda the whole reason we invented automobiles, and paved roads.

Back
Top Bottom