Roof Material Debate

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I will be having an adjuster over early next week to look at my roof from wind damage in June. I replaced what was blown off from old ones I picked after storm and I had a new bundle of the same in the garage.

If I do get help to replace the roof I been considering tin. What kind of roof material do you have and what is your thoughts on tin versus asphalt?

Is there another product out there that I need to consider using?

What are your experiences of the different materials used on roofs?

I got some heavy duty double layer asphalt shingles that are still looking great after 20 years. Metal is supposed to be the most durable, but I get up there regularly to blow out the gutters and thought they would be too slippery. Don't see my gutters full of stones like the cheapie builder shingles either.

Metal here in SE AZ, first thought was for fire, not so much for rain or snow. Our roof was in pretty good shape so metal was installed over the asphalt. Gives us another layer of insulation from the AZ sun.

Plus Ms G loves the sound of rain on the metal roof.

A couple of years ago, I put new roofs on a 10 unit residential apartment building, and a couple of commercial buildings. The owner and I (I was the manager at the time) opted for a quality PVC product. It was considerably more expensive than asphalt, but the fire resistance compared to asphalt appealed. Although I wasn't aware of it, apparently, some homeowners opt for PVC too. I imagine that most don't, because of the expense, and probably the lower awareness of PVC as an available product for homes. However, I'm thinking that the fire resistance could help with the cost of insurance.

If I owned my own home, I'd be tempted to look into a metal roof. Great fire resistance (of course) and besides - rain sounds great on it!

We have metal. It got pockmarked from hail (TX) and insurance is putting a new one on for us. Our neighborhood covenants only allow for standing seam metal and architectural. However im on the architectural board and we are approving some lightweight steel products that can mimic the look of normal metal, architectural, standard shingle, even the clay round tiles. Very interesting products worth looking at. Couple major manufacturers when i researched them on the committee. Good reviews, good wind ratings etc. Lots of color choices

The roof depends on your climate and the style of homes where you live. Do your neighbors have metal roofs? What's the payback on a metal roof vs. high quality conventional shingles? How long do you intend to be in the home?

I'm maybe 5 years out of a new roof as my house is 12 years old. All the homes around me are shingled and our weather is moderate in temperature and precipitation. I'll be going back with a dimensional shingle roof.

I'd love to have photovoltaic shingles to get solar power on my roof. But I don't know the economics of it. I'll do some research when it's time to put a new roof on the house.

Plus Ms G loves the sound of rain on the metal roof.

Is it louder? In AZ it's less of a concern, but I see a lot of metal roofs popping up in florida and with the regularity of storms I wonder about the noise.

We have regular shingle but I do love the look of a nice wide barrel tile, which is what I'll price out next time.

We have best of both worlds. Just got new architectural on the house after last year's storm & built the deck with 3'x12' metal panels from big box store. Very easy to install and not a lot of slope required. Squirrels are having fun with the pecans right now...

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_142523.jpg
    IMG_20200706_142523.jpg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20200706_142428.jpg
    IMG_20200706_142428.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 85
Is it louder? In AZ it's less of a concern, but I see a lot of metal roofs popping up in florida and with the regularity of storms I wonder about the noise.

We have regular shingle but I do love the look of a nice wide barrel tile, which is what I'll price out next time.

It's deafening in the heavy rain. Light rains are more soothing.

I’ve always wanted a metal roof, love the look and the longevity, but I’ve only had architectural shingles (asphalt). As for noise, metal is not that different if installed on solid deck as most are the days.

How-Noisy-Are-Common-Sounds.jpg

Last edited:

With the asphalt under the metal it is just a nice sound, in my barn with nothing to deaden the sound it is deafening.

Last edited:
Metal roof here. It was already on the house when I purchased it. I love the look and the sound of rain hitting it. In my case it’s never super loud, just rhythmical. In my area, the majority of roof projects seem to be going with metal. It’s very popular. You see it in all sorts of colors, which is pretty cool, I think. Although, I’ve seen some poor color choices too (in my humble opinion).

Thanks for the responses. I will look at cost for installing metal if I get a roof. Living in Montana rain isn't an issue but I do have to remove snow from my roof almost every winter. The metal should help with that problem.
A lot of temperature change would be the biggest problem but there is getting to be more and more metal roofs.
I believe it is double the price verses asphalt shingle. If I get insurance money I will have the main house done and I will do the garage myself if I go with metal. I maybe able to save some money doing it that way.

I just tinned an old ranch build in two short days by myself. It was a 26 x 26 roof and the tin was used but will be sufficient for that old building. Actually very easy to install when there is no cutting for vents etc..

Thanks for the responses. I will look at cost for installing metal if I get a roof. Living in Montana rain isn't an issue but I do have to remove snow from my roof almost every winter. The metal should help with that problem.
A lot of temperature change would be the biggest problem but there is getting to be more and more metal roofs.
I believe it is double the price verses asphalt shingle. If I get insurance money I will have the main house done and I will do the garage myself if I go with metal. I maybe able to save some money doing it that way.

I just tinned an old ranch build in two short days by myself. It was a 26 x 26 roof and the tin was used but will be sufficient for that old building. Actually very easy to install when there is no cutting for vents etc..
Several years ago when I redid my roof (16 square) it cost me $8500 to hire it out with 30 year architectural shingles.

The standing seam metal roof quote came in at $25000! ouch:facepalm:

One is to get a quote.... mine was (IIRC) 4X over asphalt...

I got the best asphalt that is supposed to handle hail and wind... since I have no idea if we will stay here I did not want to lay out the cash... I do not think you get the money back if you sell..

You would think snow would just slide off a metal roof. And I suppose it might at some angles. And they do install little “blockers” (not sure what they are called) over doors so that avalanches are less of a problem. But on my house, the snow still just builds up. I usually have 12-18 inches on the roof at the peak of winter storms. I have a single story ranch, so I bought an extendable snow rake to pull some of it off and to the ground now and then. I mostly fear it pulling down my gutters. But so far I’ve not had any damage after 4 winters in the house.

You would think snow would just slide off a metal roof. And I suppose it might at some angles. And they do install little “blockers” (not sure what they are called) over doors so that avalanches are less of a problem. But on my house, the snow still just builds up. I usually have 12-18 inches on the roof at the peak of winter storms. I have a single story ranch, so I bought an extendable snow rake to pull some of it off and to the ground now and then. I mostly fear it pulling down my gutters. But so far I’ve not had any damage after 4 winters in the house.

True!
Mine is also a ranch house 12 4 pitch and in right conditions snow will slide off but need more angle to be self cleaning most times. I don't see myself buying another home so will be here till I can't be. At my age thou not sure it would pay out having a metal roof installed. Another decision to make. Lol

I’m very happy with our standing seam metal roof, very low pitch roof.

We had snow guards installed on our barn to prevent"snow slides" from damaging gutters. Extend all the way across roof.360173937.jpg

^ Snow guard would be a good thing to install. Especially over entrances and overhead garage doors etc..

What beautiful places you folk have and the roofing looks good.

We have a mix of asphalt and metal now. Our prior house (mansion?) was slate, albeit with a steep pitch--and roofing from the 20's was still fine. Everything is a tradeoff...

In laws got a beyond state of the art asphalt in 1991 with "35 year warranty" (company not out of business), and inspector says it has 5-6 years left now, as we list it.

What kind of roof material do you have

We have old school 3-tab asphalt shingles on our house, garage, and outbuildings. These days everyone thinks architectural shingles are a must, but the 3-tabs still work fine. We were going for more of a cabin look anyway, so the 3-tabs were more appropriate (and cheaper).

The roof on our garage is oldest, at about 20 years, and still looks fine. Granted, we're in the Pacific Northwest and shaded by large fir trees, so they don't see a lot of baking sun. On the other hand, I'm constantly battling moss growing on the roof. Just part of life in the wet and shady northwest.

The only thing I would do different is to install zinc strips to control the moss. I could still add them, but just haven't been motivated to climb up on the roof again.

I put a metal roof on our outhouse, and will be putting metal on our other buildings.

I'd like to put metal on the cabin, but have no idea on the cost. Wish I had done it ~30 yrs ago when I shingled the thing, then I wouldn't be having this effort/expense.

We went with metal for our rebuild. $2800 for all the panels, trim and screws to cover 24X72.

Back
Top Bottom