Roof Material Debate

I have installed several standing seam roofs myself. Snow is not an issue if you control it where you want with snow bars.
powder-coated-color-snow-guards.jpg

What we have noticed is the standing seam adds physical strength to the roof system. Walk across the roof sheeting before and after and you can feel how much less deflection you get.
It also resists big tree limbs for this reason. We live in the PNW in big trees, and the roofs have been great. My RV got holed by a limb but I have not found a dent or mark in the metal roof.
They make clips for snow that do not screw on, they clamp the ridge.
https://www.amazon.com/SnoCleat-Individual-Mounted-Clamp-Standing/dp/B07T15NJGJ/ref=asc_df_B07T15NJGJ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459768713648&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13032598208377488871&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033433&hvtargid=pla-1020890433087&psc=1

I don't have a problem with a screw through the ridge of the seam, myself.
They also make really nifty solar panel mounts that clip onto the standing seams without penetration.
https://buys-5.com/product/s-5-e-seam-clamp/?gclid=CjwKCAiAvOeQBhBkEiwAxutUVCTQbhGuXldWESugB5GHkfVYR79gN6z2VnLFomm_RIZKsOYJW9XdPRoCr6kQAvD_BwE
you could use a few of those and some aluminum angle for a do it yourself snow bar.

Last edited:
We installed a standing seam metal roof.
Better insulation, durability, and very simple installation of solar panels. The last was a benefit for us, may not be for you.
For the most part, snow slides off.
It can stand up to much larger, or more frequent, hail storms.

Corners/arches on the roof will start adding costs quickly from my understanding.

I'm not aware of any online calculator to help with estimating replacing your roof. The best I can do is give you info on what it cost me to have my old roofing removed and new asphalt shingles installed (50 squares) in the fall of 2019. I paid $22,500.

No idea how much it would cost now, but have to think it would be at least an additional 25%, probably more.

Wow, sounds like prices have gone up - a lot. We spent about $375/SQ for removal and replacement (25 year shingles) in 2004.

It was one of those rare expensive jobs you ended up thinking you got your money's worth. When both sets of old roofing had been removed and replaced, we found a single piece of tar-paper in the yard (about a square inch) and one roofing nail. YMMV

We did ours in Jan 2021, 24 squares of 30 year comp shingles.
But, it is a 1956 house and had an original layer of wood shakes with 2 layers of old comp shingle on top. Once that was removed there were just slats spaced a few inches apart. So, we also needed the entire thing to first be covered in radiant OSB plywood. This added maybe $5k to the job. The company we chose had done a couple small jobs for us before. Anyway, it was about $17k, and while we were BTD added a sun tunnel to the dark hall for about $700 more installed, so closer to $18k. It will never save $700 in electricity, but day time light in the formerly dark hall is nice.

We are in the process of replacing our villa roofs... cost for ripoff of old shingles and tar paper, self-adhesive membrane and architectural shingles, new roof vents and soil stacks, installed is about $6/sf. IOW, cost divided by total sf under roof (not sf of roof).

The last one I installed was my brothers home. The roofing contractor brought his machine over and made the panels for him at $1.35 per sq.ft. I think the trim pieces, cap, valley metal were another 700~800. Those are made to order in the same color as the roll.
I am sure the metal price has doubled since then. We did all the labor.

15 yrs is pretty short, is this common in Texas for asphalt roofing ?
Depending on where you live in Texas hail may well control the roof lifetime. In the hill country where I have a house, its about every 8 years a hail storm strong enough to destroy a roof happens. If you live in a hail prone place consider a standing seam metal roof will take hail and keep on working. While this costs 2x an asphalt roof it will likely last 50 years or so. (note in Houston hail was about once in 15 years or so.

Depending on where you live in Texas hail may well control the roof lifetime. In the hill country where I have a house, its about every 8 years a hail storm strong enough to destroy a roof happens.

+1

We built a new home in the hill country in 1998 and am on my fourth roof. Hail got them all - the first made it 3 years, the second 12, the third 6, which averages 7 years. Number four is coming up on 3 years this summer...

+1

We built a new home in the hill country in 1998 and am on my fourth roof. Hail got them all - the first made it 3 years, the second 12, the third 6, which averages 7 years. Number four is coming up on 3 years this summer...

Rapidly growing maple trees getting into the roof have always been the final straw to our various roofs. It's important to keep up with tree trimming. YMMV

+1

Interesting. We have had a couple of what I'd call minor hail events but nothing severe. IIRC each was less than a minute in duration, and nothing bigger than pea size (if that). Maybe I should have called the insurance company too. :facepalm: At that time I had several vehicles parked outside and never noticed any hail dings so I didn't think about the roof on the house...

Last edited:
So we are about to get a roof replacement.

Last year at this time, there was an extremely minor hail event. I mean, peas at best. It didn't stop the hail-chasers from coming through. We've had at least 20 no-name, no-office roofers come by over the last year. It got so bad that DW printed up some signs and posted them on the door: "Roof Estimator: No thank you"

My one neighbor was running around like a little kid yelling "Free roof! Free roof!" He's still learning. :)

Well, at a $2500 deductible, it isn't free for me. Also, the process they go through to get it paid by insurance is hazy at best. It includes coaching from the "roofer," and other techniques.

I can see my roof. There was no damage. I know a bit about roofs.

My other neighbor just got his done, without insurance involvement. His work kind of prodded me to get this done. So I started with his company which is well known, but on the high side. I am going with a reputable company that is more mid priced. I'll be paying less than 3x my deductible. I'm OK with this. He's also going to work with me on readjusting some tubular skylights in which I'll do some work in the attic while they place the outside.

Back
Top Bottom