RSV vaccine side effects?

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW is prodding me to get the RSV vaccine tomorrow. Any reports of side affects for those of you getting the shot? Hopefully mild.

Let me first apologize as I cannot answer your question. You asked a real good question, but your post was one of the first times I heard of RSV. I began researching and it is too new of a thing for many to have experienced. My uneducated, retired social network didn't know much about it either. The consensus of my group was to wait a few months.

As to what to tell DW, I am not an expert in this field either, as I only have one DW for 30 plus years.

We both had our flu and RSV on Saturday, each in a different arm. RSV was way more painful than flu for both of us. A couple of days, and it's better. That said, if it keeps us well, it's definitely worth it.

Respiratory syncytial virus

RSV is a common cause of respiratory hospitalization in infants, and reinfection remains common in later life: it is a notable pathogen in all age groups. Infection rates are typically higher during the cold winter months, causing bronchiolitis in infants, common colds in adults, and more serious respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia in the elderly and immunocompromised.

Returned from a trip to Thailand last December. After a couple of days, I started to feed lousy. Tested for Covid several times, all negative. Also negative for Flu. It finally turned out to be RSV. Lasted a few days, no lasting side effects, fortunately.

I thought it was only something children got, but as Alan says above, it's actually all age groups.

Had RSV vax on Saturday. Arm was sore, still a little sore. Nothing else. It’s nothing like the Covid vax or the shingles vax.

AFAIK, there are two vaccine manufacturers for adult RSV vaccine. I think one is non-live protein based, not sure about the other or if one is better than the other. Medicare will pay for this vaccine.

There are two RSV vaccines which have been approved by the FDA. One made by Pfizer, the other by GSK. The Pfizer vaccine has no adjuvant, while the GSK vaccine has the same adjuvant used in GSK's Shingrix vaccine, though half the amount of adjuvant as is contained in the Shingrix vaccine. The adjuvant in Shingrix is thought to be why that vaccine often causes strong adverse effects.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/rsv/hcp/older-adults-faqs.html

We had our Flu & RSV vaccinations yesterday. No ill effects so far, a little sore at the RSV injection site, but that is normal.

We plan to get our flu shots and I see I can also schedule RSV on CVS website.

Is RSV vaccine covered by Medicare Part D (for me)?
Is RSV vaccine covered by ACA BlueShield of California (for DW)?

Thanks

Thanks

DW is on the ACA Blue Cross Florida, and I am on Medicare. Both of us wer covered.

Thanks

Part D covers the cost of RSV shot. Got mine last Thursday. Had a sore arm for a few days.

AFAIK, there are two vaccine manufacturers for adult RSV vaccine. I think one is non-live protein based, not sure about the other or if one is better than the other. Medicare will pay for this vaccine.
DFW; Medicare, will pay for RSV? We have Medicare Part A & B only. We have Aetna Direct as supplemental, which tells me, they haven't approved the vaccine yet, for coverage. We are 75. So in your opinion, we want have any cost or copay?

DFW; Medicare, will pay for RSV? We have Medicare Part A & B only. We have Aetna Direct as supplemental, which tells me, they haven't approved the vaccine yet, for coverage. We are 75. So in your opinion, we want have any cost or copay?

If you have part D, yes, otherwise it will depend on your Rx Medicare plan. I have Humana Rx plan and its covered.

Last edited:
CVS states that you can get the RSV, Flu, and new COVID vaccine all at the same time.

Has anybody done that? I usually wait until Oct. for my flu shots.

WADR, why would anyone with a Medicare supplemental plan not have a minimal Plan D as well? Most can be had for very little ($10 or so a month) and cover these items.

WADR, why would anyone with a Medicare supplemental plan not have a minimal Plan D as well? Most can be had for very little ($10 or so a month) and cover these items.
Foxfire5; Not sure if you are directing this to me. We have Medicare A &B and employee retirement insurance as federal retirees, which covers, copays, deductibles and copays on medications. We pay 0 every year. My question was about the RSV vaccine coverage under Medicare A&B. I subsequently found out after a call to our pharmacy, that Medicare A&B does cover the RSV vaccine.

I got the RSV, Flu and Covid shots yesterday. A little muscle soreness today, legs, back and arms. I actually think I'm doing better than last time when I got Covid and the flu shot together. My wife got RSV several weeks ago, not covered by BCBS to a tune of $300. I have very crappy ACA policy and at the time of her shot they did not cover RSV but something changed and it was covered yesterday. I checked the Medicare website since I become eligible November 1st and it is not covered. It does state that it will be covered under Part D plans. I don't know if the Advantage plans cover it.

I got the RSV, Flu and Covid shots yesterday. A little muscle soreness today, legs, back and arms. I actually think I'm doing better than last time when I got Covid and the flu shot together. My wife got RSV several weeks ago, not covered by BCBS to a tune of $300. I have very crappy ACA policy and at the time of her shot they did not cover RSV but something changed and it was covered yesterday. I checked the Medicare website since I become eligible November 1st and it is not covered. It does state that it will be covered under Part D plans. I don't know if the Advantage plans cover it.

Yes, my Advantage plan covered 100%.

Two weeks ago I did the hat trick and got the RSV, Flu, and new COVID vaccine all at the same time. No side effects to speak of. 72 year old white male here who has probably had more jabs (the US military loved to vaccinate back in the day and even used pneumatic guns to base load up multiple vaccines at once) than most and never had any problems, any problem, any problem, any problems.

Yes, Advantage Plans cover it, or at least mine does.

Two weeks ago I did the hat trick and got the RSV, Flu, and new COVID vaccine all at the same time. No side effects to speak of. 72 year old white male here who has probably had more jabs (the US military loved to vaccinate back in the day and even used pneumatic guns to base load up multiple vaccines at once) than most and never had any problems, any problem, any problem, any problems.

I remember those pneumatic guns well! Line ‘em up and it took no time at all.

The other funny one I remember was when we were getting a real shot in the butt cheek. After you dropped your pants they would slap the left cheek to distract you, and immediately jab you in the other cheek.

Back
Top Bottom