Scheduled meeting with manager to announce....

I had that discussion 3 times. Each time, I was asked to reconsider. After some discussion (as in maybe you could incentivize me to stay a while?) I agreed to stay a little bit longer. 1 yr the 1st time and 6 months the 2nd. The 3rd time I turned down another pay bump and gave 6 weeks notice. Not FIRE'd but still out.

UPDATE.

Conversation done. She could not have been more gracious. Congratulated me. Appreciated the notice. Huge relief. Wow this is happening!!!

Thanks for the support everyone!!!!!

Fantastic!!

UPDATE.

Conversation done. She could not have been more gracious. Congratulated me. Appreciated the notice. Huge relief. Wow this is happening!!!

Great update! - one task: Plan a quick, easy, no-arguments answer for if/when you get asked to extend the date. "Sorry I promised my cat/husband/garden" etc.

Congratulations! I hope you share your retirement adventures with us on this forum.

Congratulations are in order!!!

I assume you are feeling relieved and may even sleep better tonight and going forward now it's out and the decision has been made...

Did they offer a counter and fully accept your 3 months?

Great update! - one task: Plan a quick, easy, no-arguments answer for if/when you get asked to extend the date. "Sorry I promised my cat/husband/garden" etc.

I love this! :LOL: :D

I'm glad it went well, but I hope your 3 months is not as excruciating as mine was. I got a package with hundreds of other folks so it was not up to us to decide the end date, but everyone knew about 3 months out, so we "leavers" quickly turned invisible. What helped was coming in late, taking long lunches and leaving early.

Thanks. I feel like working remotely will make it easier in that regard, also it's tax season so pretty much everyone is going to be straight buried until mid April. Sorry you had that experience, I liked your coping activities however!

Congratulations are in order!!!

I assume you are feeling relieved and may even sleep better tonight and going forward now it's out and the decision has been made...

Did they offer a counter and fully accept your 3 months?

Thanks Whisky Dave, I already feel lighter. Seems like they (or at least my immediate Mgr) has taken my date as word. I don't know if I'll hear from any others with counters or requests to stay on, but I promised my garden and cat (neither of which I actually have) that I am committed to leaving when I said I would. :D

UPDATE.

Congratulations. My "first retirement" was required in writing, 3 months notice. I gave 3 months and one week, and did it right before our monthly group meeting. Or incredibly nice and competent medical director had me announce my retirement to the group. I did OMY two more times before I was actually done though, leaving and coming back.

Too good. Already practicing :D

Congratulations Casole. I can empathize with your initial worries. I gave almost 4 months notice with similar concerns. I knew many of my employees and comanagers would be uncomfortable with me leaving at that time (including the employee who would likely take over). There were some expressions of anxiety but everyone was congratulatory. The extra notice was a good buffer in an uncertain period. By the time I left I suspect the formerly anxious people could see the light and were ready to dump me like yesterday's news. :)

In decent organizations it is largely only toxic individuals who will react as jerks and you can usually tell, in which case, two weeks notice is in order. And, in any organization where the culture is to react harshly, two weeks regardless how nice the boss is.

Congratulations. I hope all goes well. I (obviously) don’t know your situation, but others have regretted giving their employers such a courtesy. There was a long thread here a year or so ago on the subject with some painful anecdotes.

No matter how long you give them, they will take more time to even start looking for a replacement candidate.
That was my experience.

I gave my client a month’s notice, but he did nothing during that time to find a replacement. My firm contacted him and offered to bring out some candidates for him to meet (no, “too busy”). I knew from other sources that he was not looking internally, and I did not think he was looking externally because he wasn’t interviewing or meeting anyone that I could see.

Sure enough, at the end of the month, he asked if I would stay another month. I agreed. Then, at the end of that month, he asked if I’d stay another month. I said “Yes” but said I would not be open to any further extensions.

During those two months, as far as I could tell, he still was not making any effort to find a replacement. I was sure he would ask me to extend again and that my firm would “urge” me to accommodate him. I was grousing about it to the DW when she said “Why don’t we go away? You can make travel arrangements and then you won’t be able to stay.” (She’s brilliant :) )

Sure enough, a couple of days later, the client asked me to extend for two more months. Sorry, no can do. I’m flying out this Saturday. :dance:

Congratulations and welcome to retirement, soon!

UPDATE.

Woo hoo!! So happy that it worked out well for you! Congratulations, and enjoy the "lasts" as you work your last three months!

I am glad that everything worked out so well. Congratulations

So I just scheduled a meeting for tomorrow morning (asked if I could get some time to chat) with my manager to inform her I plan to retire at the end of May. Three full months notice. She wrote that she sent me an invite and "sounds ominous".. With a smiley. I'm having an anxiety attack. Obviously I can't respond with a reassuring "all good".

I feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown and I want to cry and vomit, at the same time. So just getting it all out her bc my husband can't listen to me anymore. I didn't think actually doing it would be this hard. I feel like I'm blindsiding her bc I've had to be normal during my review and comp discussion etc. It is what it is.

Thanks for viewing my collapse :yuk:

I understand exactly how you feel. I did go part time for a few months and that helped. I also gave three months notice and I wish I had not. My boss heaped "extra projects" on me and it was too much work. I did not want to disappoint on the way out, so I got it all done but I was stressed and felt resentful. Be prepared.

........... My boss heaped "extra projects" on me and it was too much work. I did not want to disappoint on the way out, so I got it all done but I was stressed and felt resentful. Be prepared.
You were a good sport. I don't think I'd have reacted the same way. Something more along the lines of, "what are you going to do, fire me?"

I don't think it is the meeting that is stressing you out as much as the change from working to retired status.
Three months is more than generous. But I think you will find that they will drag their feet on finding a replacement. They will either stop giving you any meaningful work, knowing that you will not be around or start expecting you to double your workload to not only do all of your work but also train others with all the knowledge you have gathered over the years.

It was wonderful that you got a positive response to your retirement notice. I'm so glad for you.

At my Megacorp, those that give notice will see two security guards showup at their desk 15 minutes later, and be give 5 minutes to get their personal belongings together. No going retirement luncheon, and not even a Timex watch.

At least I worked on the road and didn't have to go thru the drill.

3 months…? Good lord.

My manager isn’t going to get 3 minutes from me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom