Scheduled meeting with manager to announce....

When I retired early, I gave 3 months notice so that they could find and train my replacement. 2 days before my last shift, my replacement gave notice. So much for not leaving them in a lurch. The 2nd replacement got fired for drinking on the job. 2.5 months after my last day my position is still open and another person is retiring at the end of April. So glad I'm out of there. I feel bad for my former coworkers...especially my shift partner.

Totally understand. I felt the same way. I watched 2 people give 6 and 8 months notice and their VPs did nothing to really prep for the transyand transition. After layoffs due to Covid and no raise the prior year. I gave 2 weeks notice and figured if they wanted me to stay they would counter off or ask me to consult. They asked me to consult. Six weeks after I left I sent and email and said I had other consulting and was booked up and didn’t have time for them. This was due to them not finalizing our agreement and returning me a copy. ?

Questions: I am also about to retire, but not sure which way is better: company's retire policy is generally 3 months, if quit that's 2 weeks notice. I really don't want to stay too long(enough with the manager). Should I just resign instead?

Questions: I am also about to retire, but not sure which way is better: company's retire policy is generally 3 months, if quit that's 2 weeks notice. I really don't want to stay too long(enough with the manager). Should I just resign instead?

I'll give you the "standard answer"

It really depends on two things:

First, and most important, is "does "retirement" versus resignation offer any benefits? For example, retiree gets health insurance until, or beyond, medicare age...
or, of course, pension after leaving if retiree but not if resigning. Or could be something like RSU's vest for retiree but are lost for resignation (those not already vested)... If there's no real difference between them, which seems to be getting more common every day, then it's really only a courtesy thing and the ubiquitous "how do you want to be remembered?".

Second, and still important, is if you aren't sure that it's going to be a permanent retirement. If you resign, it's likely that you wouldn't be able to get back... and depending upon the industry, word may get out making it impossible at other companies also. That would mean you would have to get some job that would be tangential to your current one for any decent salary... thus you should be very careful about insuring that your financials are fully in order as there's the "no going back" aspect to your (current high?) income stream.

For the OP:
congratulations... now you just have to follow through

For me, ours was a "cliff" situation- -
When we decided that it was "time" (largely predicated by spouse's RSU, bonuses, and the like...and my completing enough for pension and retiree health insurance) then once spouse was close... we put house on market. It was years ago, and in an area that otherwise wasn't a "hot market", and I'd expected that it might take a number of weeks for an offer and then close within a month.... got a very good offer in two days!. We'd purchased our "retirement house" earlier in the year (after years of search in the desired area, as those with our wants didn't come up often and, in general, there just wasn't that much availability).
So, I ended up in a temporary housing situation for about three months while spouse was a thousand miles away in the new place... in a very real case of "you can't go back" !!

HR wasn't local... I had put in my "package" to the distant HR and then awaited to hear if there were any glitches before any formal announcement to the boss. I was a senior technical and was often doing technical review of others in about the same level.... and also developing other projects. I certainly wasn't worried about being let go early and was developing the project that others could finish once I was gone (but I had nail down lots of things for that project, and others didn't have anywhere near the background I had, so I was left pretty much untouched so as to get it to some resolution. AFA training replacement... the usual.... they waited until about three weeks before I was to be gone... and that individual didn't really try to contact me... I'd just insured that copies of everything about the new project was in the hands of my director and immediate super... my other project I'd gotten to completion and early implementation. On my last day it was turn in badge, let IT know of location of computer (it never leaves the building) and turn in all keys/security items.... then start the long, long, long drive to the retirement home thousands of miles away... never to darken the door/gates again !!

"Company policy" only means something if there's a carrot attached. What's the upside of retiring vs. resigning?

The company I retired from did a couple things for retirees that they didn't for quits. Vacation vested quarterly but for retirees they'd pay out for an entire year worth of unused vacation, including the unvested days. They also pay out yearly bonuses on a pro-rated basis for retirees. I retired in June of last year so when they pay out 2021 bonuses later this month I'll get 1/2 my bonus. A quit gets nothing.

Let it go!

I understand what you're saying, be assured that you are moving into a new direction in your life and that will require you to let it go of your current life. I use that visualization stress thing where I imagine a rolling meadow of wildflowers with the wind blowing (a old microsoft screen saver inspired image) and a kite. The kite represents the issue, it blows away over the hill, and it is gone! I know what you mean about unloading on your spouse. Although I still do it in retirement. I actually don't mind ppl telling me what bothers them, makes me feel like they value my friendship.

I understand what you're saying, be assured that you are moving into a new direction in your life and that will require you to let it go of your current life. I use that visualization stress thing where I imagine a rolling meadow of wildflowers with the wind blowing (a old microsoft screen saver inspired image) and a kite. The kite represents the issue, it blows away over the hill, and it is gone! I know what you mean about unloading on your spouse. Although I still do it in retirement. I actually don't mind ppl telling me what bothers them, makes me feel like they value my friendship.

I LOVE that visualization and I'm going to incorporate that into my meditation practice. I ruminate and I know I will find things to ruminate on even if they are not work related eventually so this is very helpful. It good to have lots of feedback from neutral sources, this forum is so helpful.

Back
Top Bottom