Seeking a jazz "radio station or channel"

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I've recently discovered that certain types of jazz music, are very very calming for me...particularly when having trouble falling asleep, it soothes any anxiety I have from the day enough that I fall right off to dreamland.

So I'll fall asleep to it, then get jarred awoke by a commercial lol. I've been listening on YouTube.

Clearly I need to find either a free station or a low cost station for a subscription service with no commercials or very minimal.

I listen through my iPhone. Any suggested alternatives to YouTube? THANKS

Pandora. Tons of all kinds. From Coltrane to Smooth Jazz to Spa Music to Piano Jazz. I like to cook to Coltrane and fall asleep to Spa. "Hey Google, play some ....

No ads with a $4 monthly subscription. Worth it!

Last edited:
Sirius/XM has some app-only channels (ie, not in the car radio) that are perfect for you. There is literally a "sleep" channel.

I started using their "spa" channel out by my pool. Think massage background music? I tried their sleep channel and it is super low tempo. Zero ads. Zero DJ's or other cut ins, just straight up continuous music.

The lowest costs subs I have is about $60 per year, but I like to have a few other must-haves. There are certainly cheaper intro ones.

I use a phone app called 'Simple Radio' I just searched Smooth Jazz and stopped counting at 100 stations, not all said, smooth jazz, but most did.
You should be able to find something you like in that list. It's a free app, but does display adds, for $8 a year you can go ad free, I haven't and have been using it for years.
Next I would recommend this pillow speaker, I have only had it 1-1/2 months, but I really like it, best pillow speaker I have had in 40 years. It does have a switchable internal amp, but I found I don't have any use for it.
Very thin, I have the volume control mounted with double sided tape to my wood bed frame. Works great.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BB5WC8Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

We have a family plan for Spotify. There are no commercials.

It is simple to create your own playlist, or use one of the many pre-built ones.

I also find some podcasts with gentle topics do the trick.

Max Richter's Sleep compositions are interesting too.

Thank you all so much, great recommendations

Time2, I downloaded the Simple Radio app onto my iPhone and it did load, but doesn't open...I have no idea why, been trying to play with it.
Just curious if you are using an Android based device.

Thanks again all.

If you have amazon prime or any "Alexa" devices you can stream different genres without ads (depending on your subscription status the library and ability to chose specific songs will vary). I mostly use Amazon music but also stream some on Spotify and iHeart Radio but they have ads.

Thank you all so much, great recommendations

Time2, I downloaded the Simple Radio app onto my iPhone and it did load, but doesn't open...I have no idea why, been trying to play with it.
Just curious if you are using an Android based device.

Thanks again all.

Yes I'm using android. I'm surprised if you got it at the apple store that it won't work for you. I would delete the app and try again.

I highly recommend it to others, at least if you have an Android.
I listen to a lot of old time radio programs, Gunsmoke, Dragnet, The live of Harry Lime, Broadway is my beat, Richard Diamond Private Detective and dozens more. My favorite channel for Oldtime radio stopped streaming, But I found a website I access through Chrome on my phone that works great and has neat interface.

https://oldtime.radio/?channels=00202

You can open this link on you computer and see how it works, it allows you to customize your own playlist.
I hope you get 'Simple Radio' to work on your iphone.

I am not a jazz fan but here's a note from a friend who is:

I'll put in a plug for local Bay Area station KCSM (streaming at
https://kcsm.org), one of three 24/7 Jazz stations left in the US.
The other two are WBGO in Newark and KKJZ from Cal State Long Beach.

My two go-to Jazz stations are WWOZ.org and KUVo_Org. I have an Internet Radio that carries those stations in my office. In the rest of the house it is simply Alexa Play KUVO Radio or Play WWOZ FM Radio. More complicated but our AVR can also receive them.

I should mention that San Francisco and Minneapolis also have great Jazz station.

I have a Como Audio device that includes internet radio. One of the stations that came pre-loaded is Radio Swiss Jazz. There is a wee bit of talking (in English, French or German depending) but mainly music. I access other station to load download as my favorites via this web site: https://smartradio.frontier-nuvola.net/ I assume Radio Swiss Jazz can be accessed there.

Back
Top Bottom