Shifting my Bedtime to Midnight

I'm rotating in a counterclockwise direction - not intentional. Last night I woke at 2:40 am and was on the road by 3:30 headed home. If I keep going soon I'll be in sync with those of you going to bed at 3am.

So far, this is not working. The last two nights I struggled to stay awake until 11 PM, then woke at 5:30 and 4:00 AM, respectively. Couldn't go back to sleep. My body is rebelling, but I will prevail.

Have you tried melatonin. That seems to snap me back to regular sleep patterns if I'm jet lagged.

Nuiloa said:
Have you tried melatonin. That seems to snap me back to regular sleep patterns if I'm jet lagged.

I used to believe in melatonin, but from personal experience, and research, I've concluded it is just a placebo.

We are now working with DangerMouse's system, and changing an hour each week. Currently going to bed at 11 but waking at 6 or 6:30. I've had to nap, or I just don't get enough sleep.

Some other benefits of the midnight to 8 system:

It won't be dark when we wake up.

The is less noise outside at midnight than at 10 PM.

Last edited:
We are now working with DangerMouse's system, and changing an hour each week. Currently going to bed at 11 but waking at 6 or 6:30. I've had to nap, or I just don't get enough sleep.
Late night / early rise / afternoon nap is normal in many parts of the world.

I'm rotating in a counterclockwise direction - not intentional. Last night I woke at 2:40 am and was on the road by 3:30 headed home. If I keep going soon I'll be in sync with those of you going to bed at 3am.
Bad date?

I agree, Packman--

I know people who go to bed at 9 to 9:30---....

Gulp. I'm one of those people. But I've always been a morning person. When I was in graduate school I often had classes until midnight and then I'd have to drive 1.5 + hours home on a mountain road, often in blizzards. While I tried to take naps late afternoon before leaving, the classes usually got me so wound up that I had no trouble staying awake for the drive.

We've finally adjusted to staying up until 11. For the last two nights I slept until 7 or 7:30, but it was surprisingly slow and difficult to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom