Should I Keep my Mouth Shut?

Who was the Einstein or Frank Lloyd Wright who put the drainpipe on that side in the first place?

Well, I was bad. I told him.

I found a good way to phrase it. This is what I said:

I walked by here when it was pouring rain the other day, and I saw that there was no water coming down the driveway towards the garage. All of the water was coming down this downspout. So all you have to do, and you may have thought of this already, is move this downspout over here, and all your problems will be behind you.

I seemed to detect his ah-ha moment. We'll see what happens.

I don't know if he'll ever finish the project. He's always got some projects planned, and they don't always get finished. He's got two more on the stack.

He got some rickety old trailer, that looks like this:

image_22148.jpg

and he has plans to build sides for it, then use it to carry firewood here from Sacramento, because "the wood is drier there." Do I suggest that he calculate the extra cost in gasoline? No.

The other plan is to build a roof for his wood, and it has some similar design errors.

So, I really have to get better at not giving advice.

These neighbors are an endless source of amusement.

Who was the Einstein or Frank Lloyd Wright who put the drainpipe on that side in the first place?

+1.

This sort of thing always amazes me. Who on earth would ever put the downspout there. On the upside, since it's a straight run, changing the pitch of the eaves will be easy.

He got some rickety old trailer, that looks like this:

image_22148.jpg

I have one of these. I built bike racks for it to haul 6 bikes to the park. Teaching the grandkids to ride on our hilly street was just inviting loss of blood...

I'm also going to build a camper shell for it, just an enclosed bed with a small galley in the back. We like to camp, but sleeping on the ground isn't cutting it anymore. And I never could wrap my head around the whole motorhome thing after my now-departed dad pointed out, "it's just another idle drive train in the driveway, experiencing entropy for your entertainment."

These neighbors are an endless source of amusement.

Yes, we are...:D

And now a response to the larger theme of the thread...

I tend to let my neighbors do their thing, unless it affects me in some way. Guy across the street took out the "ceiling" supports in his basement in order to improve the view, didn't consider that they supported most of the rest of the house. I wasn't there for that one; my wife tried to point out the problems with that initiative, but, what do girls know? He got them re-installed before too much damage was done.

Now, my neighbor up the hill requires attention, because he sometimes wants to do drainage things that affect the integrity of the hill. He sometimes has to be reminded that, if my hill washes into my house, his house won't be far behind...

The 6 hour commute explains alot. Some guys self-torture themselves.

On his last trip he worked a full overnight shift, then did the drive with two stops for naps. He told me he sleeps only 5 hours per night.

I said, "Oh, you're so lucky to be one of those people who don't need much sleep!"

He said, "I need more sleep, I just don't have time for it."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

and he has plans to build sides for it, then use it to carry firewood here from Sacramento, because "the wood is drier there." Do I suggest that he calculate the extra cost in gasoline? No.
Around here (Virginia) it is either illegal or highly discouraged to transport firewood like that, because it spreads tree-destroying bugs. Maybe there is a specific problem here but it makes sense in general.

A quick google took me to this page: Don't Move Firewood | Trees and forests are threatened by invasive foreign insects and diseases

Looks to be a bigger issue in the east, but still, his stupid ideas could cause problems on your property, so this might be another time where you'd want to butt in, for your own good.

I don 't think the trailer is for transporting firewood. I think the neighbor was going to build a roof for his firewood. And the west is having a huge problem with the mountain pine beetle. Saw whole hillsides of dead trees last summer.

What jumped at me about the story is the 6 hr commute. How the heck does he go down I-5 in the winter to work? My husband's best friend at age 13 lost his entire family in a winter weather accident near Shasta. Surely there are nursing jobs closer to him than Sacramento. Heck, it only takes 4 hrs to get to Medford from Sacramento.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Around here (Virginia) it is either illegal or highly discouraged to transport firewood like that, because it spreads tree-destroying bugs. Maybe there is a specific problem here but it makes sense in general.

A quick google took me to this page: Don't Move Firewood | Trees and forests are threatened by invasive foreign insects and diseases

Looks to be a bigger issue in the east, but still, his stupid ideas could cause problems on your property, so this might be another time where you'd want to butt in, for your own good.

Yes, you're right. Ah, sheesh, I really don't to be telling him that. I'm already the guy who's OCD about safety, because I suggested that using his poorly maintained chainsaw with no protective gear might not be a good idea.

I just sent him this email:

Hi, Guys,

I mentioned your firewood plan to a friend, and he brought up this issue, which I didn't know about: Moving firewood more than fifty miles is strongly discouraged and, for some counties, illegal. He sent me these links:

Don't Move Firewood | Trees and forests are threatened by invasive foreign insects and diseases

California | Don't Move Firewood

Regulations | Sudden Oak Death

You might also find that you'd be spending about $40-$100 per trip in added gas consumption.

So, I thought I'd pass that on before you started making modifications to the trailer.

Al

FAQs and General Information

Why is moving firewood such a bad idea?
Tree-killing insects and diseases can lurk in firewood. These insects and diseases can't move far on their own, but when people move firewood they can jump hundreds of miles. New infestations destroy our forests, property values, and cost huge sums of money to control.
How far is too far to move firewood? And what do you mean by "local" firewood?
When we say local firewood, we are referring to the closest convenient source of wood that you can find. That might be from down the street, or a state forest in your county. As a very general rule of thumb, 50 miles is too far, and 10 miles or less is best. Visit our State-by-state map to help you figure out how far is too far in your area. In many states there are rules, regulations, and quarantines that clearly state how far is too far. Always acquaint yourself with local rules and regulations when transporting wood from one jurisdiction to another.
My firewood has no bugs, holes, burrows, sawdust, or other weird looking stuff on it. Is it OK to transport it?
Even the experts can't always see a couple of pin-head sized insect eggs, or a few microscopic fungus spores, in a pile of wood. These tiny threats are enough to destroy an entire ecosystem. Never assume wood that "looks safe" is OK to move- it is next to impossible for anyone to inspect firewood that closely.

Back
Top Bottom