Sign of the apocalypse

I remember when a hamburger at McDonald's was 25 cents. I would walk past a McDonalds in Waikiki on my way home from working at my low paying, teenager job, stare at the menu longingly, and wished I could buy one of those hamburgers.

Problem was, back in those days I didn't have 25 cents to spare! That was a lot more money back then than it is now.

I remember when a hamburger at McDonald's was 25 cents.

My equivalent memory was 12 cent hamburgers ("sliders") at White Castle. They were only a nickel when they first started in the 20s. You bought them by the sackful -- the first "carry out" restaurants.

My equivalent memory was 12 cent hamburgers ("sliders") at White Castle. They were only a nickel when they first started in the 20s. You bought them by the sackful -- the first "carry out" restaurants.
We didn't have a White Castle where I grew up but I would visit them while in New Orleans (on Canal Street, I think) when we were in town. I'd get several each time I stopped by and I remember the price was 9 cents each, at that time....

My first job was at McDonalds. It was 1975, I was 16 and making the minimum wage of $2.00/hr. At that time, hamburgers were 25 cents, cheeseburgers were 30 cents, small fries were 28 cents and large fries were 45 cents. I believe a Big Mac was 50 cents.

So I could buy 8 hamburgers for 1 hour of work. I don't know the prices or pay at McDonalds today, but that seems like a fairly good metric to use.

My first job was at McDonalds. It was 1975, I was 16 and making the minimum wage of $2.00/hr. At that time, hamburgers were 25 cents, cheeseburgers were 30 cents, small fries were 28 cents and large fries were 45 cents. I believe a Big Mac was 50 cents.

So I could buy 8 hamburgers for 1 hour of work. I don't know the prices or pay at McDonalds today, but that seems like a fairly good metric to use.

Your memory is perfect! I think the 25 cent hamburgers that I remember were in 1974, give or take a year. I was earning $1.40/hour as a rent-a-car girl in Waikiki, which was minimum wage in that location IIRC at that time. I felt special because friends working at Dole Pineapple were earning $1.25/hour (which was below minimum wage maybe? or maybe it was different in canning facilities). Fun job, but not enough pay to cover McDonalds along with my other expenses.

A 1-hour pay of $2 could buy 4 Big Macs then.

I just looked up the price of the Big Mac to be $4 now. Is the minimum wage $16? No.

The Federal minimum wage is only $7.25. State minimum wages are generally higher, but the highest one is in CA, and only $14.

Ha ha, that makes me think of stories my mom and dad told about when they met.

Dad told us kids that Mom could eat half of a sackful of White Castle burgers all by herself, and that he nicknamed her "Wimpy" because of it. We couldn't believe it, because Mom weighed all of 103 pounds soaking wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
One day things will disappear and cost infinitely more.
It's already happened:

https://www.newsweek.com/italian-artist-sells-invisible-sculpture-more-18000-1596608

Italian artist Salvatore Garau recently auctioned an invisible sculpture for 15,000 euros ($18,300). According to as.com, the sculpture's initial price was set between 6,000 and 9,000 euros; however, the price was raised after several bids were placed.

Titled 'Io Sono' (Italian for "I am"), the 67-year-old artist's sculpture is "immaterial," meaning that the sculpture does not actually exist.

Though he's received much critique for the sale, Garau argues that his work of art isn't "nothing," but is instead a "vacuum.

Interesting story. I looked at your sig line " I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.", and thought, you should have sold it! :)

-ERD50

A 1-hour pay of $2 could buy 4 Big Macs then.

I just looked up the price of the Big Mac to be $4 now. Is the minimum wage $16? No.

The Federal minimum wage is only $7.25. State minimum wages are generally higher, but the highest one is in CA, and only $14.

Minimum wage is $15 in Seattle, so gets you a little closer. But then you have to account for taxes…

References I found were from the early 1960s, not 1968.

https://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/vintage-1960s-mcdonalds-advertisements

Two (90% silver) quarters from back then would be worth over $10 today...more than enough to buy a Big Mac combo meal (even upsized) with an apple pie for dessert (https://www.coinflation.com)
I'd go to Golden Corral senior special all u can eat for breakfast or lunch for under $10 and when the server asks if you want coffee at the end of your meal they give it for free.

What is interesting, is that back in 1970-1972, CHF 1 was = USD 0.25, ... or CHF 4 = USD 1.
If you looked at the coins, both silver, they were ~identical.

Today 6/2021, that same 1 CHF coin is worth ~$1.11 Hence same CHF 4 = USD 4.40.

So, the question: Did the CHF go up in value, or did the USD go down? Think about it... How much was coffee in CH back in the '70's vs today?

Last edited:
There was an article on this subject, called "shrinkflation," in yesterday's Washington Post. The link is probably behind a paywall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/01/package-sizes-shrink-inflation/

The writer noted that this phenomenon tends to occur during periods of economic downturns, such as the 2008 recession and the current pandemic.

One example cited in the article was cat food going from a 5.9oz can to a 5.1oz can. Royal Canin stated they did this to keep up with increased demand during the pandemic. Quoting from the article:

In other words, "Screw you, you probably won't notice anyway."

DW was opening a container of Merkts cheese spread a few minutes ago, and said "they've changed the design on the container". I said, semi-sarcastically, that they probably did it to hide the fact that they shrank the size. She checked, and damned if they didn't. It went from 14 oz to 12.9 oz. Essentially they removed one serving from the container, even though they left the container the exact same size. I really hate this underhanded marketing BS. I'd rather they just raise the price and be up front about it. But I guess if the lumpenproletariat don't notice, there's no reason for them to be honest.

Indeed, sizes are shrinking, packaging either remaining the same or 'beautified'.

This spring I needed 'shock' for the pool. Same package, half the amount of chlorine - all in fine print. As an 'ass'ide, Preparation H use to have cod liver oil, a real AI. Now nothing but inactive ingredients, and one useless synthetic in mg amounts. But price is up.... in there <g>. Now useless. Just a lubricant.

I was in Costco the other day picking up some paper towels and noticed that both PT and TP had the price per square foot shown. That seems like a pretty good way to do it.

I actually prefer the per-pound measure posted about earlier. There are so many thing they can tweak- sheet size, number of sheets per roll, sheet thickness…what good is it to have more sheets if you need to use twice as many to be effective?

I have to admit I buy mostly on appearance- it’s gotta hold up during use. Now I’m curious how my Kirkland compares with others on a per-pound basis.

The Tuna Indicator:... A can of solid white tuna, at that time, was 8 ounces. ...
Today it takes 3, 5-ounce cans to make tuna salad sandwiches for 3 people, plus a bit left over. Which suggests, as EastWestGal mentioned, that there's more water and less actual tuna in today's cans.

This 'shrinkflation' is problematic when following using old cookbooks or recipes. Really throws the proportions off if they only say "1 can" without specifying the ounces.

Shrinkflation?

You know, I was JUST thinking about this after hearing a piece on the news... I hate the idea of proposing MORE regulation, but here is a clear case where we need a "Truth in Packaging" piece of legislation that (once and for all) ends this NONSENSE!! Shame on companies for playing this game. Either raise prices and accept the fallout, or introduce NEW sizes, where it's clearly labelled as such.

Regulation is seldom the answer. Education and awareness are, but that's a pipe dream. If they can't stop robo-calling, how are they going to fix this?

Either raise prices and accept the fallout, or introduce NEW sizes, where it's clearly labelled as such.

The amount (weight, square in or volume) is clearly labeled on the container.

The amount (weight, square in or volume) is clearly labeled on the container.

You are right. While I don't like the "new" package hijinks, it is always on the label, and most stores give you a price per unit, at least for food, which I often check. Old habits die hard.

The one I think is really taking advantage of the buyer is the pricing of soft drinks, and "mixers". In the soda aisle there are 2 liter bottles for $x/ liter. In the liquor aisle there are cans and small bottles at $3x-$5x/liter. Same stuff, same supplier. Now, a 2 liter bottle may go flat before I finish it, but if I only use 1/2 I am still money ahead.

Another article on "shrinkflation"

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/...re-of-shrinkflation-inflations-devious-cousin

Then Dworsky headed toward the back of the store. Sure enough, old boxes of Cocoa Puffs and Apple Cinnamon Cheerios were stacked at the end of one of the aisles. He grabbed an old box of Cocoa Puffs and put it side by side with the new one. Aha! The tip he had received was right on the money. General Mills had downsized the contents of its "family size" boxes from 19.3 ounces to 18.1 ounces...Dworsky went to the checkout aisle, and both boxes — gasp! — were the same price. It was an open-and-shut case: General Mills is yet another perpetrator of "shrinkflation."

I had my shrinkage surprise yesterday. We buy the chicken thigh packages from Costco. I like that they are individually packed with 4 thighs. Perfect for 2 of us.
Yesterday I used a newly purchased package and there were only 3 thighs! And no, they were not unusually large.
I hope this was a one off and the others are 4 to a pack.

I had my shrinkage surprise yesterday. We buy the chicken thigh packages from Costco. I like that they are individually packed with 4 thighs. Perfect for 2 of us.
Yesterday I used a newly purchased package and there were only 3 thighs! And no, they were not unusually large.
I hope this was a one off and the others are 4 to a pack.

That's not new, sometimes at random only three make it into a pouch.

And "shrinkflation" does not really apply to something that is sold by weight, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom