Sneaky SCAM using USPS

nwsteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got a really sneaky scam claiming to be from USPS advising me I need to click the embedded tracking number to reschedule delivery of a package.
Was not expecting a package. Further investigation shows email came from a company digestusps.GOV. Real USPS used a .com address.
With so much shopping online and the big guys using USPS for last mile I bet it is super easy to get the unaware to click through.
RUN, RUN.

Never, ever, ever, ever click a link in an email you do not recognize.

I get that sort of thing all the time, except it's always in my spam folder, so I don't even look. More often they spoof Fedex I find.

The best way to tell if you have a package (or most any mail) coming to you from USPS is to sign up for their Informed Delivery Daily Digest. You get an email each day they have mail to deliver to you. As a bonus, mail holds then become much easier - when going out of town - because they have verified you and your address.

- Rita

Is there any regulation involved with using a .GOV address? Scammers generally avoid using the USPS to avoid the postal inspector, so it is pretty sneaky to claim to be USPS to execute a scam.

My informed delivery e-mails come from usps.gov.
I really like this service. It's nice to know what to expect in the mailbox each day.

My informed delivery e-mails come from usps.gov.
I really like this service. It's nice to know what to expect in the mailbox each day.

Sometimes.....my 5/12 informed delivery show my car registration sticker envelope, but as of today....it's not in my mailbox. Our lady mail person has no clue where it "went".:facepalm: Gotta love the post office folks! No accountability for deliveries.

The best way to tell if you have a package (or most any mail) coming to you from USPS is to sign up for their Informed Delivery Daily Digest. You get an email each day they have mail to deliver to you. As a bonus, mail holds then become much easier - when going out of town - because they have verified you and your address.

- Rita

That is the gotcha--the email does a very good job of knocking off the genuine email you get in the daily digest notice.
Since I was pretty sure I had no packages coming, I checked the sending email and saw the bogus sender

The best way to tell if you have a package (or most any mail) coming to you from USPS is to sign up for their Informed Delivery Daily Digest.

- Rita

This ^^^ is where it is at! I love this! I only get mail at my PO Box, so the morning email helps me decide if I want to go to the PO to get my mail or if I can wait a day. I don't want to say this out loud, but I'd actually pay for this if the USPS ever got smart and charged me for it! On the other hand, what I'm already paying for my PO Box is criminal.....

Back
Top Bottom